Rolling Thunder Forums

Returning Player Questions for Draco

richardjohns

richardjohns I will try to answer some of the question you have on what I know

1.try add more weather station and domed city on that planet until you get imperial medical center and cloning center you can work on

Deep Core Heatsink,

Thermal Transfer Center

2.i just put the science on my ships and explored I don't build nothing on the planet

3.the same answer as the first one

4.it helps a bit the only thing I found to use them on are troops is all

5.this one is hard to answer because everybody has there opinion about it me I'm doing fighters and

Type D Spinal Novabore and type G Plasma Torpedo

6.Yes fusion are better then nuclear and so is the antimatter engine and so on

7.Yrs there are deep core surveyors in draco

8.Lots of shields and armor more armor then shields since there is a decrease on the shield strength

9.for me is the yields on planets and not having ice and the gates

10.i work up the line on the srp to get the higher jump survey you can build more or group more ships up to crack them you know the higher warp points are one way most of the time

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. One of my colonies is extremely high. I have placed everything on it I can to fix it. However, I can only make domed cities and weather control stations plus the standard stuff. I have added a marital artists. I gain one pop, 3 becuase it is popular and lose one to attrition. Other than tech items what else can I do?This is the only type of planet that is an issue.

I usually wouldn't colonise an extremely high world. However it sounds like you have it under control since it has a net positive growth.

2. I have placed ships over planets to do explore orders and have just started exploring on 16 different planets so far. The success rate this turn was 2 out of 16. I am trying to add leaders and science buildings on each planet. What else can I do?

The chance of finding something when exploring a planet is based on the following factors:-
- Your racial EXM
- The presence of an explorer in the fleet
- How “rich” the planet is in terms of exploration. This is a set hidden value. Gas Giants and Asteroids seem to be exploration-poor.
- How much of the planet has been explored i.e. the more finds you make, the less likely you are to make any more. An ORB will tell you how explored the planet is.
- Survey components built into the ships of the fleet.

3. I am dropping all colonization stuff that decreases losses even on ideal worlds is this overkill or will this help me in the future. The first 22 fleets already have convoy routes working on them. Next turn, colony beacons land on the other seven. Can ideal worlds become less than ideal? What would you do in your home system?

Ideal worlds don't benefit from loss reducing installations. Characters can still boost growth though.

4. How much more effective is textiles vs improved in helping colonists?

I don't have any numbers to quantify the benefits of Improved Textiles Plants over Textile Plants.

5. What is the most cost effective weapon system that is hardest to defend against?

How long is a piece of string? There are small differences in the costs of weapons, but the resources you have available are more important. Don't have a good supply of Rare Elements? Then don't make plasma Torpedoes. Do you have lots of caldaran crystals? Then consider Particle Beams.

And if there WERE such a weapon, announcing it here would be counterproductive as people would immediately start researching the defence tech. :-)

6. Will fusion engines be better than nuclear in Draco?

So far they do not seem to be.

7. Has anyone found out if Deep Core Surveyors exist in Draco yet?

I don't know yet.

8. What is the best defense when going through a warp point?

Warp Point Assaults
When you move through a warp point and encounter an enemy fleet on the other side, you trigger a warp point assault. Each “round” of combat, a wave of your ships moves through the warp point. The specific ships in each wave are random, with low deploy locations much more likely to go first. Only a set number of ships can fit through in each wave, based on the size of the warp point. The Warp Bubble size of each of your ships is the mass divided by the warp thrust.
A few points to note:-
1) It is the size of the warp point you are entering, that matters, not the size you are exiting.
2) There is no rounding. If your ships all have a warp bubble of 11 and the warp point size is 20, only one ship will enter per “round”.
Very Important: All Fighters and Drones always go through in the first wave, along with the ships in that wave. This makes fighters and drones very useful in a warp point assault as their firepower attacks the enemy immediately. Consequently, if you are planning to defend a warp point, having point defence in your fleet (in the form of CIDS or your own fighters) would be advised.

9. What is the biggest difference between Draco and Andromeda you have found so far?

The 2nd generation cap on spending SRPs plus the presence of aggressive Death Machines mean I am building a warfleet much earlier than in Andromeda, and with much lower tech.

10. Is it worth building lots of jump survey sensors is it better to wait to crack the higher warp points or should I waste the production?

It takes about 30 MK IIs to equal 1 MK III, so waiting makes sense from that point of view. However if you wait too long, other players may claim systems close to your HW.

The best weapon to build is the one you can most easily build that is the highest tech and is NOT specifically defended against by your enemy. You may find that it is better to build a 5th gen weapon that is expensive as opposed to building a 6th gen weapon that your enemy has seen and has all of his ships decked out with specific defenses.

Early in a positions life you only want to tell your enemy what weapon system you are researching when you show up on his borders with your assault fleet. Telegraphing your tech will provide them him/her/it an opportunity to defend against it otherwise.

Biggest change for Andromeda to Draco is AP cap. Death machines seem to be interesting but what happens when everybody is running around with 4th gen systems? At that point do they just become litter to be swept aside? Is the any gain to be had in taking them out, do they have any assets to capture or is it just a way for more people to actually build and use a war ship?

I think biggest difference will be gates/ICE once positions get big enough to need them.

:drunk:

Long term, the AP cap and lack of Gates and ICE will certainly be the biggest changes from Andromeda, but so far, for me, its the Death Machines. They are destroying my scouts and threatening my colonies.

I suspect the Death Machines will upgrade their tech as time passes, but only Pete knows for sure.

• 2 months later...

I want to build something in the Heavy Cruiser range to go fight the DMX. How many tons is that likely to be?

So far I know:

frigate........................25,000 tons

Heavy Destroyer......81,600 Tons

Light Cruiser............224,700 Tons

Can any one fill out the rest of this chart with Heavy cruiser, battle cruiser, batttleship, etc... tonnages??

There has been much discussion over the years eg

http://www.rollingthunderforums.com/index.php?showtopic=744&hl=%26quot%3Bship+class%26quot%3B&do=findComment&comment=13794

I don't know that anyone has built a definitive list. I had a look around and found a few Heavy Cruisers massing between 440,000 and 511,500 tons.

To find out ship classes, you can do multiple NUD orders and fiddle with settings to see what you get. You can delete the designs you don't like.

Based on on mass, I think Cruisers go something like:-

Light

Heavy

Strike

Command

Battle

Star

Light Cruiser 150000 tons to 249999 tons

Frontier Cruiser 250000 tons to 399999 tons

Heavy Cruiser 400000 tons to 599999 tons

Strike Cruiser 600000 tons to 749999 tons

Command Cruiser 750000 tons to 999999 tons

Battle Cruiser 1000000 tons to 1249999 tons

War Cruiser 1250000 tons to 1499999 tons

Star Cruiser 1500000 tons to 1999999 tons

Monitor 2000000 tons to 2999999 tons

Battleship 3000000 tons to 7999999 tons

Is the info I have , and it keeps on going from there

The name of your class of ship will also depend on the weapon systems that you build into your design. Add in lots of drone racks and it becomes a Drone Cruiser. Add lots of fighter bays and presto you got a carrier. There is also a Bantum type of ship but I've only seen carriers with this designation. There are nearly endless designations. One of my personal favorites was the Fleet Science Platform.

• 2 months later...

New questions while I await for my turn to get here for Draco.

1. I keep running into systems that do not allow me to go back to the previous system. How many systems should I expect to wait before it wraps around to a known system of mine?

2. Has anyone seen changes to explore orders? I started seeing an increase in materials and a decrease in tech.

3. Is anyone else having power issues? I make over 300+ K power and still having issues on my home world.

4. Do mines receive power before ship building?

5. Are there any groups sharing techs like they did in the beginning of Andromeda?

6. Can a leader move through a warp point if there are ships on both sides?

7. Can a colony create another colony with a colony beacon without a ship?

8. Do all advanced materials take the same time to complete in Draco?

9. Do XSENS only show something when there is a ship present?

10. I am basically just a colonizer. If I do research to change my race what gives the best bang for the buck?

"1. I keep running into systems that do not allow me to go back to the previous system. How many systems should I expect to wait before it wraps around to a known

system of mine?"

Hard to say. Maybe half a dozen?

"2. Has anyone seen changes to explore orders? I started seeing an increase in materials and a decrease in tech."

I haven't noticed any particular changes, I think its just the luck of the draw.

"3. Is anyone else having power issues? I make over 300+ K power and still having issues on my home world."

That seems like a lot. That's twice the power I need to run my homeworld. Are you sure its power you are running out of and not resources?

"4. Do mines receive power before ship building?"

Yep. Things happen in the order they display on your turnsheet.

"5. Are there any groups sharing techs like they did in the beginning of Andromeda?"

Most of the tech is the known from Andromeda, so there is not as much need as there was then. I have only found one new tech so far, although a few have changed in details.

"6. Can a leader move through a warp point if there are ships on both sides?"

That I don't know.

"7. Can a colony create another colony with a colony beacon without a ship?"

No, you have to use a fleet.

"8. Do all advanced materials take the same time to complete in Draco?"

They seem to.

"9. Do XSENS only show something when there is a ship present?"

That sound about right.

"10. I am basically just a colonizer. If I do research to change my race what gives the best bang for the buck?"

Look through the Lifeform Design section for anything with +s in CB. Also, your race requirements are set by your homeworld, so for example, if you started on a hot world, you might find Low Temp. Resistant good value or vice versa.