Rolling Thunder Forums

Massive Battle Results

Desmodus

At least in Draco, since it will take forever to get there if you didn't see it coming you were using the ostrich deffense. I think that Pete and Russ do an excellent stuff to try to fix things. I did 240 orders this turn trying to automate more of my fleets. I wonder how fuel will impact Draco?

Beware of the Space Rabbits :)

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Heads up everyone, round two is coming to a galaxy near you soon! Hobknob has almost doubled his fleet size which unfortunately for him is now less than the defending fleets he will face, so expect a similar outcome as before when he had a slight tonnage advantage.

Bo I know you don't want my advice, but.............. when doing a probe, every ship's captain knows to do it at the end of a turn instead of the beginning so you'll be more likely to know your opponents strength. Seriously, I wish you would invite all of Cestvel's empires and the ORI to join the fun; it sure would be nice to get rid of you all at once without having to travel too far.................

Good Morning, Cry Baby!! Wrong again as usual - Since I've never had more than this single empire, I'm sure there are several positions out there that are bigger than mine. I even believe there could be those that are better run, I just haven't run into any as yet, especially :cannon: you......

Well, we spent numerous turns over the world in question and there was no indication that there were defenses or fleets anywhere. These were the suicide ships sent in to test these things. In fact we could have dropped a beacon and troops without any need for taking on the orbital defenses, but that would not have been sporting now would it. It was pretty surprising to move the main fleet in and find over 100B tons of PDF that should not have been able to hide from previous turns probes.

As to the tonnage it will take to clear you out, I think you are a bit off. If you continue to build PDF's every turn it will eventually get to the point where a Trillion ton fleet is required, but it will be a very long time indeed before there is the need for any more than that.

:cheers:

I'm surprised that you publicly admit that you KNEW there was a reporting issue for "Numerous turns" without letting Pete know. I guess you were just trying to exploit the bug just like the PA which you condemned for such actions; only to cry about it to Pete when it didn't work to your advantage. If you had landed troops through the exploit, just be the same disappointment for you of being crushed - the only difference would be I don't think you could whine to Pete and get the troops back.

Go ahead, keep thinking that you don't need Trillions of tons NOW - it just makes squashing you again much easier.

That of course was the problem. You only know what your turn tells you and it makes little sense to go running to Pete after every order to "make sure" something was not missing. After seeing nothing at the planet I thought it completely plausible that the entire planet was stripped and moved to a new location. This also coincided with the ship build limits being removed. So, it would have been, and probably still is possible for all of the PDF's to have been scrapped in one turn and then everything gated to a new location. It has been done before...

As far as troop strength goes, it is hard to say how that would have turned out. I know that my troops were a fair bit tougher than yours the last time they met and my numbers have improved a great deal since our last encounter.

Since it makes little difference and just gives folks something to read I will tell you that the BUG are sitting around 150M pop these days. Running an empire that size is a real pain and takes most of the fun out of the game IMHO, but it is what it is. Pop growth is approaching 3M a turn and would be higher if I was willing to devote more energies toward that.

The BG are a bit smaller.

Your turn....

I should also say that it will certainly come to a point where a planet is sufficiently well defended that it will be very difficult to pry it loose. The currently contested planet may be to that point and it may not be, I think it still a bit early to say. It will certainly be a blood bath if another battle ensues.

I have a different view. Universal gates and wormhole generators will be required for a large galaxy spanning empire that has established a massive central location where almost all production takes place. This kind of setup can't function without them. Draco is more geared towards establishing many regional hubs that will take advantage of more abundant nearby resources. Empires can still get rather large but won't have the centralization commonly found in andromeda

I should also say that it will certainly come to a point where a planet is sufficiently well defended that it will be very difficult to pry it loose. The currently contested planet may be to that point and it may not be, I think it still a bit early to say. It will certainly be a blood bath if another battle ensues.

We agree on a couple of things, if you keep your nerve and attack it won't be as one-sided as the last battle. The other point we agree upon is Andromeda is really starting to wind down, this will be the first real challenge for my empire to face in at least a decade - like you, the coming storm is the only thing that has kept me in the game, so win or lose, 2016 is the end for me... spending the retirement time at the beach and restoring a couple of old vehicles is much more appealing.

With that said, I see Cestvel has added a token force to the effort (surprisingly one of his 97 ships is actually of decent design) and since we all know the ORI will not take up the invitation to join the fun (he's bunkered down in his "command center" i.e. mom's basement) - let's get this battle going! You now have a pretty decent tonnage advantage over me which will help off-set what I feel is my advantage of superior ship design. So in summary, let's bring what will be a record breaking battle to a conclusion.