Returning Player Questions for Draco

richardjohns

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

More Draco Questions,

1. In Draco can I buy Advanced Construction Materials, Advanced Steel, etc with SRP?

2. Why is 8 AP significant in Draco is that an arbitrary number or designed to to prevent abuse?

3. How much pop do your need before it shows growth?

4. How does structural integrity factor in to battles?

5. What is the most valuable resource in Draco? (I think it might be the components to engines)

6. Do scientists still give break throughs for items? (I am wondering because I do not have any at this time and did a REVO order this turn to increase my chances of having a scientist)

7. How many turns in Adromeda does it take to get an Advanced Constructions Materials at 1 RC per turn?

8. Is there a number of mines that need to be subtracted that from the x5 amount that increase efficiency compared to using strip mines and industrial complexes?

9. Since tech is slow in Draco, however, I will be working on Advanced material tech starting next turn, should I still build improved even though I cannot use them. Is it better to wait?

10. What are Improved Weapons, Improved Consumer Goods, Improved Foodstuffs, Improved Food Concentrates, Improved Luxury Goods, and Improved Plantfoods used for other than trading for diplomacy with neutrals?

11. What is the 5th Generation Mental techs that exist?

12. Does having too many installations negatively impact my world i.e. I have more than required?

Thanks before hand for all the answers from everyone.

Rich

Rustic Empire

Jumping up and down waiting for my turn next week :)

1. In Draco can I buy Advanced Construction Materials, Advanced Steel, etc with SRP?

No. They are third generation techs.

2. Why is 8 AP significant in Draco is that an arbitrary number or designed to to prevent abuse?

Read the Draco pdf for an explanation. Basically, in Andromeda you could create very fast fleets and stick them in convoys, which would take a long time for the game engine to process. For example, on my last Andromeda turn, I had a 300 AP transport fleet with 1.7 million cargo bays and 1200 colonial berthings running on a 10 AP convoy route.

3. How much pop do your need before it shows growth?

Depends on how good the world is for colonisation. I just planted an ideal colony with 5 pop and it grew 1.

4. How does structural integrity factor in to battles?

SI is the hit points of your ship. All damage comes off shield strength first, then reduces SI, resulting in a % damage rating for the ship. The ship is now less effective in combat by that %. If the damage hits 100%, it is destroyed. Damaged SI is gradually repaired each turn. A Repair Bay speeds up the repairs.

5. What is the most valuable resource in Draco? (I think it might be the components to engines)

Iron.

6. Do scientists still give break throughs for items? (I am wondering because I do not have any at this time and did a REVO order this turn to increase my chances of having a scientist)

Yes, but a much reduced chance than in Andromeda.

7. How many turns in Andromeda does it take to get an Advanced Constructions Materials at 1 RC per turn?

27. 48 in Draco.

8. Is there a number of mines that need to be subtracted that from the x5 amount that increase efficiency compared to using strip mines and industrial complexes?

Number of Mines * (Resource Rating – (Number of Mines/10) [rounded to the nearest whole number])

9. Since tech is slow in Draco, however, I will be working on Advanced material tech starting next turn, should I still build improved even though I cannot use them. Is it better to wait?

The Improved resources are pre-requisites for the Advanced, and are used to built 3rd and 4th generation things. Advanced are used for 5th generation and up. Long-term, you will need the advanced resources.

10. What are Improved Weapons, Improved Consumer Goods, Improved Foodstuffs, Improved Food Concentrates, Improved Luxury Goods, and Improved Plantfoods used for other than trading for diplomacy with neutrals?

In Andromeda, they have no use. In Draco, maybe some are used for some ground units???

11. What is the 5th Generation Mental techs that exist?

I think 4 might be the maximum, but don't quote me.

12. Does having too many installations negatively impact my world i.e. I have more than required?

Not generally. Too many mines will drop your production (see the formula above).

The most valuable resource is the one you need the most. Iron may be used a lot, but it may not be as valuable since you can find it just about anywhere. I find Crystals to be more valuable, but Shenn stones are also valuable if you don't have a good mining source.

In Andromeda the most valuable resource is population.

In Draco, I think it is too early to tell.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hey folks,

I have some new questions. Also, My empires are now the Thunder Empire and Star Kingdom Empire in the Draco Galaxy.

1. Can we assign leaders to others planets in our home system without transporting them to the planets?

2. After I move leaders via a ship into a nearby system, can I assign them to planets without transporting them to the planets in the new system?

3. Other than a reduced powered explorer, I find little use for scientists in Draco. What can they be used for?

4. What is the downside of not doing orb orders on each planet?

5. Could someone give me a good example of a convoy route for moving colonists to planets in system and setting up i.e.domed cities, mines etc? I just don't want to goof it up.

6. Due to the slow speed of AP what is the best way to set up a gas station at warp points in Draco?

7. It has been suggested not to have aggressive ships versus the death machines has anyone checked the reliability of this idea?

8. I have a nexus linking to my home system with one warp point back to my system. Is it possible that there is another system linked one way to the nexus? I am trying to figure out if I need to defend it or ignore it.

9. I started with 23 objects in the Star Kingdom Empire home system. One is my home world. What is the best way to reduce orders in colonizing all 22 of them? I am thinking convoy routes but am unsure?

Wow! Scientists help your research massively once they get to senior scientist and above , and as long as they have the right facilities . The scientists alone can just by research breakthroughs give you a researched item in one turn with enough hits . I get 20-30 scientist hits in one turn with one of my positions , and this allows me to research to high end items very quickly .

I just have to verify you have a Draco world that is making that many hit per turn? Those types of hits are usually seen in Andromeda and not Draco. I hope you are right.

Greetings -

Scientists in Draco have been tuned down and are no where near as useful as in Andromeda. That said, even if they are only 10% of Andromeda that is still a bonus you won't get any other way. It may take 3 or 4 hits to get the bar to move, but it still moves. Once you get 80-100 scientist it is not uncommon to have an average of 20 hits/turn. You need them in Andromeda for the highest end techs. You will not have to worry about that in Draco for another 15 years :)

LC's have their own transport system and do not need to be carried aboard fleets, just AC them to where ever you want them to be.

Scientists also help with planet exploration.

IMHO there is no downside to not doing ORB's. There are some benefits to doing them, but only for populated planets and to see if you have fully explored a planet.

Here is a basic CR to colonize a planet. I would not have a domed city build as part of the CR, but that is up to you.

LC - HW

NM - colony

OC - into colony pop group

Con - Iron Mine

Con - Crystal mine

etc...

LC - Stuff mined

NM - Back to HW

OC - into HW pop group

Rinse repeat.

This is the same for a colony in another system, just add the movement out of the system.

I would not set up a gas station at a WP. It seems like a good idea when you only need 5-10k fuel. Once you need 100k + fuel it is not very useful. Just load the fuel at the HW before you leave or at a colony on the way back. Also, a WP fueling depot is the first thing destroyed by unwanted visitors.

Yes, there could be a one way WP into your nexus. I have never heard of a one way into a HW system but anything else is fair game.

There is no way to make it easier to colonize. A convoy route will help, but you will still need to set up one for each planet. The easiest and least costly method is likely beyond you at present. Just he same the most frugal method is to take all colonists and stuff in one turn and only use one set of orders to build everything. Early on you will do lots of tinkering so that option will not really work, even if you had cargo capacity of several million and colonist transport capability of 20,000 or so. Keep building and in a couple of years you might get there.

:cheers:

I was wondering since I lost everything off my computer. Would it be possible to send me a copy of the Draco Flyer again. My email is richardjohnsii@yahoo.com

Thanks before hand.

I don't play in Draco , as I feel the low AP cap makes the game slower than it needs to be . The science hits I get are of course in Andromeda , and I consider them invaluable .

Draco is a bit slower paced but only because you have the value of hindsight with regards to Andromeda. The AP cap is the one thing that will make Draco

better IMHO as it will encourage the strategy approach rather then brute force( although there is something to be said for brute force :) ). Logistics will also be

a bigger issue as the lower AP also means that war fleets can't just park next to a GG for a turn and refuel. You have to have a dedicated refueling ship or

fuel depot colony somewhere close to the actual front in all your conflicts. Also Engaging in a conflict with someone WILL require you to set up forward bases and even major colonies to build items far from the HW ( replacing lost drones and fighters comes to mind)

Even technology will have to be carefully planned and thought out because as you said you won't be able to rely on a whole bunch of scientist hits to get whatever you are researching quickly.

I for one like the idea of battleships actually being something more then just a tiny screen and the idea that 3rd and 4th generation items won't be obsolete in just a few turns of play.

Just wanted to say thanks to General Miles Avatar and Russ for sending me the Draco file. Thumbs up. I am itching to know if Deep Core Surveyors still exist in Draco.

I have some more questions. Don't I always :rolleyes:

1. I am predicting my empire will not need any strip-mining Complexes. Is this an absurd prediction?

2. I finally figured out why coal is in the game and had to slap myself in the forehead. What uses have you found for coal? It is so important I will be mining it on every colony no matter what.

3. I was wondering what order changes colonists back to citizens on worlds?

4. Overall, what is the best way to move the excess construction materials off world automatically? I know we cannot use dismantle in convoys. Should we wait until the industrial complex upgrade then send the excess pop and construction materials to a new world? I am leaning toward removing them completely once improved and advanced are made.

5. Does anyone stockpile improved and advanced stuff for tech advances? Next turn, I will be able to make improved construction materials on both my empires but cannot use them for anything. I guess the best thing is to ignore that I can even make it.

6. Could someone explain the usefulness of recycling centers. I see no use for them at all. Some might argue I can now build the New Weapon X which will do such and such damage. However, if you are already balanced on ratio of strip mines, mines and industrial complexes you should be at max on Weapon X anyway. Would it not be better to disassemble the ship on a colony and take every old part and make a screen defense?

7. Is there a racial description minimum CCM. DEF and GCM that shows that any attempt to improve it tech will be futile. In other words, kill them with ships, bomb them into submission and land only when none are left. The reason I ask if someone is a total warrior race and we both have the same tech where do I draw the line?

Thanks for any answers

Richard Johns

Star Kingdom Empire (Draco) and Thunder Empire (Draco)

1. I am predicting my empire will not need any strip-mining Complexes. Is this an absurd prediction?

The only time I have had an empire without stripmines is after I upgraded it to Improved Stripmines.

2. I finally figured out why coal is in the game and had to slap myself in the forehead. What uses have you found for coal? It is so important I will be mining it on every colony no matter what.

Its just used for running coal fired power plants ie to power small colonies.

3. I was wondering what order changes colonists back to citizens on worlds?

Offloading them from a colony ship converts them into population automatically.That's the only way to change them back.

4. Overall, what is the best way to move the excess construction materials off world automatically? I know we cannot use dismantle in convoys. Should we wait until the industrial complex upgrade then send the excess pop and construction materials to a new world? I am leaning toward removing them completely once improved and advanced are made.

I don't think there is a 'best' way. You have to work out what suits your goals best.

5. Does anyone stockpile improved and advanced stuff for tech advances? Next turn, I will be able to make improved construction materials on both my empires but cannot use them for anything. I guess the best thing is to ignore that I can even make it.

I do sometimes. It depends on how long it will be before you can use the improved CMs and what useful things you could be building instead in the meantime.

6. Could someone explain the usefulness of recycling centers. I see no use for them at all. Some might argue I can now build the New Weapon X which will do such and such damage. However, if you are already balanced on ratio of strip mines, mines and industrial complexes you should be at max on Weapon X anyway. Would it not be better to disassemble the ship on a colony and take every old part and make a screen defense?

Each improvement in weapon tech doubles the firepower so, after a while, those old 2nd generation weapons you built will be irrelevant in battle. Screens built with obsolete tech are only useful until your enemy has a Flag Bridge. There is also fixing errors (a few times I accidentally built Standard Hull Plating instead of Steel), converting items found in exploration, and eventually re-using items captured from an enemy.

7. Is there a racial description minimum CCM. DEF and GCM that shows that any attempt to improve it tech will be futile. In other words, kill them with ships, bomb them into submission and land only when none are left. The reason I ask if someone is a total warrior race and we both have the same tech where do I draw the line?

As I recall, bombing an enemy kills off a lot of population, which is the main reward for victory, so conquering them in straight ground combat is preferable. If you have the same tech as your enemy and they are a lot tougher, you will need a lot more troops and better battle commanders. You might be better off partnering with a good ground combat race to help you out.