Rolling Thunder Forums

Wasted or Useful Research

richardjohns

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oops that's right. Still Hobknob is right. There is really no point to the requirements to research ground combat to the point where you can get the marine and guard units. The tech prior to getting to level 6 and some 7 gen is plenty to achieve quite the combat power in almost all the tactical areas especially if your race is geared towards ground combat. Then again getting to build marine units may not be as difficult as you need to be able to build marine units before guard units so the tech requirements may be a bit lower. I sure hope so :)

I'm still working on uncovering the INSTs for Ringworlds and Dyson Spheres in Andro. I have the theoretical knowledge on how to build them but I don't have the blue prints. I did some real world research on them to see if that would help my Quixotic quest. They are primarily about power generation. I'm not sure how that translates in the game. Any decently advanced empire can increase their Hydro/GeoTherm potential fairly easily so power isn't a problem in the game. At least not for any of the positions I run anyway. Other empires might not be so lucky. In my quest, I did blow up a planet and turn it into an asteroid field. As far as I can tell, that's one of the prerequisites to building them. I've also maxed out my Universal Gate technology. Gravitonic Stablilizers have eluded me so far too. I'm still working out the whole mass smelting piece of it but have a line on a tech tree that might help out in that area. If anyone else is pursuing this quest and want to discuss matters, you can contact me at chaosian@hotmail.com. Please put Ringworld or Dyson Sphere in the subject line. Thanks!

In the spirit of an open discussion on the Dyson Sphere, here is the ANZ for the Dyson Sphere Construction tech.

A Ringworld is a ribbon of metal that stretches around an entire star, completely filling in an orbital position. A Dyson Sphere, on the other hand, is a complete sphere entirely enclosing a star. This represents a monumentally more complex engineering project than a mere Ringworld, which in itself is an almost unthinkably difficult project. Such a construct is naturally extremely unstable, requiring sophisticated gravitonic stabilizers to prevent itself from being pulled into the primary. An alternate and much safer form has been postulated to be a series of long metal strips bound together by powerful magnetic or gravitonic fields. The idea is to contain as much of the stellar flux as possible before it escapes into open space. To actually build such a thing would require that many planets be crushed in their entirety, smelted into refined metals, transported to the selected star system and then reconstructed into the desired form. Needless to say, this would require an incredible array of technologies, not the least of which is simply transporting the needed materials to begin with. In all probability such a project is nothing more than a fanciful impossibility. Should some way of smelting
entire worlds down into their components parts be found, and a method of transporting said material between star systems on a planetary scale be discovered, planetary engineers are confident that they could begin work on an actual Dyson Sphere. They admit that without an outstanding array of various engineering horizon technologies there is an excellent chance of failure, but they're willing to try.
Classification: Horizon Technology
This Item cannot be manufactured, and is either a ground combat upgrade or a prerequisite for other technologies
Prerequisite Technologies: 6th Generation Civil Engineering, 6th Generation Planetary Engineering, 6th Generation Space
Science, 6th Generation Terraforming
1) requiring sophisticated gravitonic stabilizers = Need to find gravitonic stablizers. A friend got an EXPL hit on that tech which implies it's in the game.
2) bound together by powerful magnetic or gravitonic fields = Maybe gravitonic stablizers again. I've researched mag grapples through Heavy and tractor beams through Heavy but nothing past those techs appeared.
3) many planets be crushed in their entirety = I can turn a planet into a asteroid field. I assume that qualifies for this requirement.
4) smelted into refined metals = Not sure on this one. I have gotten a hit on a Earth Fusion Generator that might help out in this.
5) transported to the selected star system = I have maxed out Universal Gates and Phase Converter techs. The Phase Converters stopped at Mk IV. The Mk V didn't show up for me.
6) reconstructed into the desired form = I have Advanced Industrial Centers and maxed out Industrial Science. Not sure if this qualifies for this requirement.
I welcome your thoughts on this. Like I said earlier, in the real world, a Dyson Sphere is all about capturing energy from the star. I'm not sure what the in-game version will provide.

I'm maxed out the Gravitic Thrusters (Mk VI) but haven't found the Gravitic jump drives. I've gotten to Mk VI Antimatter Jump Drives and Mk III Total Conversion Jump Drives (Mk IV TCJD didn't appear). I've also researched all the Gravitic weapons just to be safe. I'm going to start down the Gravitic Sensor Web tree here pretty soon.

Hey guys I'm going to throw my 2 cent to this I just did a rtd on my empire I can anz : Earth Fusion generator and I found 2 other thing what might help also to anz : Integrated Dimensional Field Stabilizer and also Integrated Molecular Pattern stabilizer something else also it might go with it who knows Type C Planetary Field Distorter or type A Planetary Shield Generator .and also this to Transdimensional Shifter so who knows

Planetary Shield Generators are defenses you can build (like a building) that protects your pop group from Mass Destruction Devices that get dropped on you. It's like 1 building per 100 pop for max defense. However, it costs about 5m Adv ConMats if memory serves. Okay, the Integrated Dimensional Field Stabilizer, Integrated Molecular Pattern Stabilizer, and Transdimensional Shifter all sound worthy of looking at. I've never seen those techs before.