Rolling Thunder Forums

Wasted or Useful Research

richardjohns

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Naw, it isnt there. I think you might be remembering that horizon tech from 10 years ago that said our scientists think they could do it, yet opened nothing. A deadend. Just like dyson sphere.

Further Draco updates. I had some free orders and did some ANZs to fill out my Draco ship design spreadsheet.

Force Shields

Draco

Mk I Strength 200 Ratio 2 (strength divided by weight)

Mk II Strength 400 Ratio 4

Mk III Strength 700 Ratio 7

Andro (full ratio spread is 3/7/16/36/85/200/500/1255/2500)

Mk I Strength 300 Ratio 3

Mk II Strength 700 Ratio 7

Mk III Strength 1600 Ratio 16

While the Draco Mk III didn't double in strength (as I had hoped), the ration increases have been +2 and +3. If that progression continues, then we can expect the following:

Mk IV Strength 1100 Ratio 11 (+4)

MK V Strength 1600 Ratio 16 (+5)

Mk VI Strength 2200 Ratio 22 (+6)

Mk VII Strength 2900 Ratio 29 (+7)

Mk VIII Strength 3700 Ratio 37 (+8)

Mk IX Strength 4600 Ration 46 (+9)

This is only one possible extrapolation from the given strengths for the Mk I-III data.

Draco engine update - the numbers don't look promising.

Draco Engines

Mk I Nuclear - Thrust 400 Weight 100 Ratio 4.0 (Andro version ratio 3 - Yay! An improvement!)

Mk II Nuclear - Thrust 450 Weight 100 Ratio 4.5 (Andro version ratio 5)

Mk III Nuclear - Thrust 550 Weight 100 Ratio 5.5 (Andro version ratio 10)

Increases by 50 and then 100.

Mk I Fusion - Thrust 500 Weight 100 Ratio 5.0 (Andro version ratio 10 - Half as effective)

Mk II Fusion - Thrust 550 Weight 100 Ratio 5.5 (Andro version ratio 20 - Big decrease here)

Increases by 50. Maybe a 100 with the Mk III? And the Mk I started between the strength of the Mk II & Mk III Nuclear. I was hoping to make my cargo ships 2 AP when I popped the Mk II Fusion. Looks like I will need to trim down the cargo bays to make that happen. Maybe.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, I popped the Integrated Dimensional Field Stabilizer (IDFS) with 18 Sci hits but only got to 90% on the Mk IV Energy Absorber Grid with 8 Sci hits (One more would have done it). Nothing new opened after popping the IDFS. I think I'm going to head down the Gravitic Sensor Web tree to see if there is anything there that will help. And see what happens after I pop the Mk IV EAG in a turn or two. Going to downsize it to one RC.

ok thanks i didnt see it before Here something useful for anybody

ANZ: Terminator Drone
Terminator Drone: Drones are small expendable munitions carried as cargo aboard a Fleet equipped with Drone
Racks. Not content with the destructive power of a hydrogen bomb detonated in close
proximity to an enemy vessel, your scientists have come up with the awesome Terminator
Drone, armed with a gigantic fusion bomb warhead. A direct hit by a Terminator spells
can carve out a crater even in small moons. (500 tons) 500 Advanced Steel - 500 Advanced
Electronics - 1,000 Advanced Processed Radioactives - 500 Advanced Fuel
Classification: Drone Rack Range: Beam Structural Integrity: 500
Prerequisite Technologies: Cyclops Drone, RXT-34 Fusion Burner
Fusion Strength: Phenomenal [96000]
Missile Strength: Phenomenal [288000]

Okay, I popped the Integrated Dimensional Field Stabilizer (IDFS) with 18 Sci hits but only got to 90% on the Mk IV Energy Absorber Grid with 8 Sci hits (One more would have done it). Nothing new opened after popping the IDFS. I think I'm going to head down the Gravitic Sensor Web tree to see if there is anything there that will help. And see what happens after I pop the Mk IV EAG in a turn or two. Going to downsize it to one RC.

The Gravitic Sensor Web Tech line doesnt lead to much. I had thought it might help with detecting cloaked pop groups but this was not to be. I built a ship

with thousands of Mk III GSW's( the highest I could attain btw) and they didnt do squat to detect one of my own pop groups with a PDG active.