Rolling Thunder Forums

Order Entry Program - Questions

brogan

One problem and one question...

- I cannot enter more than 115 orders or the program crashes without saving. I enter new lines by holding the Alt key and hitting enter which creates a new line, am I not supposed to do it that way?

- Also, is there a guide somewhere I can read up on the program. I would like to figure out how to duplicate the last order I made and then quickly move to the duplicated order and change one or more values.

Thanks.

- Andy

You can enter above 115 orders, but indeed, the program becomes unstable. I save a lot and use exports, because after crashes sometimes the orders are changed in order (with devastating results sometimes). Hitting Alt to enter new orders is the way, but doesn't always work. It's more stable to add orders by inserting them in between the other orders.

You can copy orders and insert them, with mouse clicks (right button on the order). But copying has a problem, it will keep the pointer to the old order. Change one, and both change. Save, quit the order sheet, start again, and then you can safely change the copied order, so this does not work as expected, be careful with it.

* save your first 90 orders

* export those orders

* fill in a new turn sheet with 30 orders

* export under a different name

* paste the second under the first

The final TRN-file is simply a textfile with lots of spaces between the orders which aren't there for a particular reason. You can add orders to it on the next line without invalidating the file.

I work with 120 order sheets regularly, this is one step to far, as far as I am concerned. 120 orders in one sheet does work, the chances for crashes are bigger, but as long as you keep in mind to save a lot and to not use Alt to enter extra orders, you won't have any problems. Creating two sheets also means you don't have all your orders in one view, and means you could easily make mistakes in order.

Just giving options... it's easy to align them in a text editor so all 120 orders are below each other. I often do that because it's the only way i can get all my 60 orders in one window view, VOEP doesn't allow for that..

The stability issue when working with 90+ orders I can reproduce, but I have been unable to diagnose the faulty code, so no improvements there yet. The next version I am working on (which is going to be totally awesome!!!) will have a completely different way to handle these things so I think (I definitely hope!) that it won't be a problem there.

It will also include something like the VicMan tool, a bit of automated map making, a visualization of the starting positions and reference tables of all units. (Hence it's awesomeness...)

One problem and one question...

- I cannot enter more than 115 orders or the program crashes without saving. I enter new lines by holding the Alt key and hitting enter which creates a new line, am I not supposed to do it that way?

- Also, is there a guide somewhere I can read up on the program. I would like to figure out how to duplicate the last order I made and then quickly move to the duplicated order and change one or more values.

Thanks.

- Andy

Alt+R should repeat the last order, by the way, and there is a short explanation of the program in the help file that goes with it. It's on the page called "Victory! Order Entry Program" right in the root.

The stability issue when working with 90+ orders I can reproduce, but I have been unable to diagnose the faulty code, so no improvements there yet. The next version I am working on (which is going to be totally awesome!!!) will have a completely different way to handle these things so I think (I definitely hope!) that it won't be a problem there.

It will also include something like the VicMan tool, a bit of automated map making, a visualization of the starting positions and reference tables of all units. (Hence it's awesomeness...)

Sounds peachy! :D

Sounds peachy! :D

Thanks everyone for the advice, and the new version sounds really cool, can't wait to see it.

- Andy

WOW, I also have problems with the turn entry program crashing, usually around action 60-something. My 'fix' is to save often no matter how many or how few orders I've entered and when it does crash later, which it invariably does, I just restart the program and continue entering orders...and saving regularly. I have NEVER had it crash more than once with the newer turn entry program. And yes, this includes when I'm doing 120 orders.

Guest Spongebob

I have a problem also every game I am in I die, I blame VOEP for this unfortunate circumstance and for some reason Denmark is spelled incorrectly it should be spelled SPONGISTAN. One final thing as an incentive to the programmer to finish the next Awwwwwwsome version - Hurry up or I will have to invade you! ;)