Rolling Thunder Forums

Game 98

Predator

Sorry, I am bound by my allies and my ennemies as well. and I just can't leave such a worthy opponent standing in the cold. As a rule, I do not desert my TA's unless I am the last one standing.

#95 is like a fine game of chess, with moves, countermoves, hidden moves, threats and feints. Far to much fun to stop it now.

• Replies 318
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've been trying to stir up some interest with some guys I play other games with. They are almost all either active duty or veterans and many played games similar to this before.

My only problem is how quickly someone can be eliminated. Not that I don't accept it as part of the game, but if we bring in new people, early elimination might sour them. (How this would be fixed is beyond me, but it's a concern because I've been asked by all of them about it)

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure there's an easy answer there, Seph. I'm a veteran player, to be sure--but whether I'm a good player is not an opinion everybody in this forum shares (especially one of my current TA's). I've been eliminated in as few as 7 turns, but others I've survived to the end.

I've been trying to stir up some interest with some guys I play other games with. They are almost all either active duty or veterans and many played games similar to this before.

My only problem is how quickly someone can be eliminated. Not that I don't accept it as part of the game, but if we bring in new people, early elimination might sour them. (How this would be fixed is beyond me, but it's a concern because I've been asked by all of them about it)

This in its self would not be as big an issue if it did not take months for a new game start. Kind of a catch 22 situation. More players may step up if they didn't risk getting knocked out right away, but if more players were willing, the games would start more frequently. And good odds of a different player group.

I do agree, it is very demoralizing to be crushed by a multi nation alliance, especially early in the game. Russ was offering a free set-up to anybody who played after losing their capital for a number of turns. Five I think? Maybe this offer could be extended to anybody knocked out early, TP 10, 15? I know this would probably lead to mass exodus the following turn of the weaker nations, but 1 or 2 might just feel strong enough to continue on a few more turns. Sometimes you can battle back from an early loss. Gives time for the TAs to show up.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, It's been a rather long time since I've played. I assume Russ still gives a 2 to 3 week heads up on a game when the set up hits 30 players minimum, Correct? This is what I've been looking for since last Oct. Does anyone have an idea of how close it might be to that point?? After reading this thread I'm mildly discouraged from thinking it will any time soon, hope I'm wrong.

Pretty sure that email doesn't go out anymore. I asked Russ the status of game 98 again last week. He said he was busy with supernova turns and hadn't had time to go through sign ups but that he had gotten more in for the game.

Game 93 ends in three turns so hopefully it will be sooner rather than later.

Shame, I found those rather useful. they let me know that if I wanted to get into any given game that that was the time to do it. well, guess I better just get my set up in if i'm going to do this. Thanks Predator for the info. see you in game, I hope. :)

I won't debate or offer up the tweaks, changes, or improvements that I think would help the games longevity or popularity since 1) I've done that in the past on many occasions, and 2) so many others have done it as well. The fact is that we can all discuss this topic as much as we want with as much sincerity and energy as we can muster, but if Russ is either not able or is willing to truly work on and introduce any significant changes or improvements to the game, all these discussions are pointless. Without going into detail, this game requires a lot more than some tweaks (big or small) to the game mechanics. Accessibility is the real issue. New players may try an improved/changed version of the game and either like it or not, but if taking that first step of 1) learning about the game, and 2) playing the game is too complicated and awkward, they will never even give it a chance. A lack of accessibility in this new world of gaming is what is dooming this game to a continued slow demise. Not mechanics issues within the minutia of the game rules that quite frankly are argued over even in the most wildly popular of games.

Well now Robotman, aren't you special!!! O_o It's people like you who fail to see the value in what Russ and his partner have created with RTG that's Dooming this game, provided that there is any doom coming to RTG at all. I started playing this game back in the mid 90's (when we were still sending in turns by actual mail and an actual phone call was still the fastest way to contact someone to plan things out with) till about 2005 or 06. So for me to come back and find RTG still up and running after a 9/10 year absence (and considering they way things operate in todays world and the technology that out there) is a testament to 3 things: Consistency, Reliability, and "If It Isn't Broke, it Don't need To Be Fixed". It's so nice to have a game I can play that I don't have to Deal with lag issues, or down time for hotfixes and patches to be updated. It's Nice to Relax and let my mind wonder on the possibilities, to think things through and to actually exercise the most important muscle we have! So relax Robotman, slow down and take some time to smell some roses. I think you will find there is So Much More to life than the greatest latest update, plugin, or thing sitting on the shelf. NOW, that said, My apologies to Predator, this is not what he wanted this thread to become. But I felt it needed to be said. Now that I've said It I will say no more on it. Back to your regularly scheduled game chat.