Rolling Thunder Forums

Galactic Directory

hobknob

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To AKO,

Who mentioned our "outer systems"? Finding unauthorised "visitors" in my inner systems would indeed be regarded as an act of war. First contact would probably occur in my frontier systems, in which case I have no doubt that negotiations will take place before any nastiness is considered! :cheers:

Hello Eldred (and also Honored One Fethra),

You are right, I assumed these were outer/frontier systems, which is apparently incorrect.

Ofcourse, when I meet others I will try to contact them directly and agree on a border. No hostile intentions, as long as things are fair.

I just wanted to make clear that if people declare an outer/frontier system as "off limits", that some people (like me) will try to enter without knowing that they are entering someone elses space. This should not be regarded as an act of war. I can understand that someone wants to protect him/herself for trespassers, just do not consider that as an act of war on my behalf, but just as curiosity.

And as Kurassier stated, it is mostly out of efficiency that we MOVE-SURV-WARP, not wanting to loose tempo in exploring space. We do not do it out of hostile intent.

Kind regards,

AKO,

Have to agree with everything you say - makes perfect sense!

Visitors entering our inner systems (which are indeed "off limits") will encounter our sentinel ships (in theory -providing the sensors work!) at strategic warp points, so entering such areas unknowingly will be difficult.

Regards,

President M'Bete, Kurassier, Alcron the Honored One

We welcome your comments and thank you for this opportunity to further clarify our position regarding territorial sovereignty.

We believe in freedom of the spaceways. Nevertheless, in order to preserve this freedom for all we believe it is necessary that navigation and exploration be conducted in a manner that respects the sovereignty of others. If we jump into a system that has not been publically claimed and we are fired upon we will not regard this as a simple "hello." Rather the firing upon our peaceful explorers will be considered an act of war. Since we reserve the right to fire upon those entering our space without permission, we have no choice but to make known our claims so that all will have fair notice of our intentions and we can have a clear conscience when we seek retribution from those who murder Boo.

Because we take this very seriously we publicize and notify others before we jump into a new system. This is inefficient. Yet we are adament about protecting our own sovereignty so we, out of respect for others, accept this cost in extra time as the price for being good galactic citizens. We have raised this dilemia before in this forum. It has been suggested that we, in order to be consistant, not only publicize our systems, but aslo ask others to publicize theirs and give notice before we jump. Most are not willing to maike public claims of sovereignty, so ,instead, we ask before we jump. If we have asked and no one has objected and we are then fired upon it will be deemed an act of war. The Boo are peaceful and civilized. We are reasonable. All causes for war will not automatically lead to that state. Our biology is such, however, that we can not allow Boo blood to be spillt in vain.

The Boo claim every system within two conventional jumps of our homeworld. This claim is recognized by the laws and customs of the Galactic Star League and our rights are thereby guarenteed. "Outer Systems" are not routinely policed by the Boo. The Homesytem Ider, however, is patroled and there is a high likely hood of an errant explorer being vaporized if they arive in the Ider System unannounced. If our patrols discover trespassers we reserve the right to dispatch them if in our outer systems, but we may only demand restitution for a violation of our rights. We may, under some circumstances, simply negotiate. Indeed it is preferable that we negotiate.

The declaration of sovereignty is economic, primarily. While we regard tresspassing as highly discurteous, and therefore hostile, it is not regarded by our government as an act of war unless it is in the Ider System or there are aggrevating circumstances. Building a colony in our sovereign territory, however, is an act of conversion--a theft of Boo nesting grounds. These acts are considered acts of war. If an alien colony is discovered it may be obliterated or it may be made to pay rent. Results may varry with each circumstance.

Since we do not wish to be shot at arbitrarily we do not act arbitrarily. Thus all should pay heed that we respect their sovereignty; but we demand that all respect ours as well.

In Peace,

Honored One Fethra

Boo Consultatum

Member of the GSL

<Life Fire Training Exercise>

An ensign yells "Commander, there's an unidentified vessel ahead and closing in on us."

Commander says, "Sound Battlestation, raise shields and arm weapons"

(alarms ring everywhere)

Ensign, "Sir, the vessels is hailing us. They say they represent the Boo Consolate"

Commander, "Don't answer that hail!! Quick, fire everything at them...NOW!"

<....several tense seconds and one big bright explosion later....>

"Whew...that was close!"

Ensign, "But sir, we detected no weapons on their vessel?"

Commander, "Here me ensign and learn, you may not have detected a weapon on their ship but they do have a weapon. A long lasting and painful weapon, one that must be stopped at all cost, lest once they start using it, it may never stop."

Ensign, "What weapon is this sir."

Commander, ".....They talk you to death!" :lol:

Ambassador of the Boo Consulate,

Thanks for your reply.

Now knowing that you only claim systems near to your homeworld (and I must say that you are quite modest in only claiming the systems within two conventional jumps), I agree that you have the full right to defend these systems. Since I expect that you will have other fleets further out, I am sure we will meet before any of our explorers jumps into one of your claimed systems. Hence, such a jump will never happen by one of our ships.

Thanks again for the explanation and I am looking forward to meet one of your ships and establish diplomatic relations.

Kind regards,

President M'Bete

We thank you for your government's willingness to enter into constructive dialogue regarding these important issues. Our explorers are only now venturing into neutral space. We shall never fire upon fellow spacefarers while in the void absent provocation. We are now announcing our jumps before we execute them so that we will not inadvertantly trespass upon another race's territory.

Your race has proven itself rational and has shown good faith in these discussions. This shall be remembered. We look forward to the time when our races shall meet in a spirit of friendship and peace.

Honored One Fethra

Boo Consulate

Member of the GSL