Rolling Thunder Forums

Orbital Crystal refinery

Landmine

(A) Orbital Crystal Refineries would be more interesting if they used crystals as input rather than raw resources.

( B) 3 different kinds of Orbital Crystal Refineries that produced refined crystals, improved refined crystals, or advanced refined crystals would also be interesting. )

(A) I don't think that would improve them any. The benefit of the Orbital Crystal Refinery is that you CAN produce your (Improved) Refined Crystals from RR, rather than from basic Crystals, so you are getting a MUCH improved rate of return on the RR. The comment that using Raw Resources to produce other resources is very expensive, is generally accurate - but its still necessary for most low-middle tech empires. 5RR converts to 100 Improved Refined Crystals. At the tech level where Improved Refined Crystals are useful, most of your Stripmines and IC are probably still basic (not improved or advanced), so one Stripmine is producing 1000 RR and one IC is converting (assuming some industrial advances) 325 a turn. So... 3 stripmines produce 3000RR. 9 ICs convert that to 300 Crystals. 1 more IC converts that into 100 Improved Refined Crystals. Total population - 13. On the other hand - 1 Orbital Crystal Refinery +5RR (insignificant) = 100 Improved Refined Crystals. You just saved 12 Pop.

Of course production from raw, mined Crystals is far more efficient in terms of population, but that's all dependent on the available yields, and after Steel (and Improved Steel and Advanced Steel), Refined Crystals (and Improved/Advanced) are one of the most needed materials, so converting RR is fairly common.

(B ) That's more accurate. A version of the Orbital Crystal Refinery that produced basic Refined Crystals would be very desirable to young empires who need more Crystals then they can mine, and a version that produced Advanced Refined Crystals would make it far more useful in the long term, but I think that the total production for the Advanced version would also have to be significantly improved to make them desirable - maybe 50RR for 1000 Advanced Refined Crystals? That would put them more on a par with what Advanced ICs would be able to produce for a similar investment in ConMats and Population. These would obviously require appropriate levels of Space Science and Industrial Engineering....

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Given the set up of relatively low yields on planets and the abundance of methods to increase yields, I only see a very short window of utility for the OCR. However, if the environment or the ease of increasing yields were to change, then the utility might also change.

• 1 month later...

Deep core surveyors are better than ICE. I build 10k on a planet, 10 or so turns later, yeild is maxed. Dism and recover 100% of mats.

LOL!!! DCS's are great for a start. They will eventually get you to about 32k max per yield. My mining planets have yields in the Million plus range all due to ICE. I am sure this is one of the reasons ICE has been eliminated. sigh...

Thinking of Draco, without gates how are you going to get the materials to build DCS's to a planet. Other than your HW it will never happen, at least not on the order of 10k DCS's and then the required power to run them.

That also assumes that the DCS will be found in Draco. I have no idea myself and perhaps this is one of the colonization tools that will have much reduced costs. We will have to wait and see.

:cheers:

I thinking more for the new universe, since like you said, no ICE.

Yeah, pushing around 5 billion con mats would be a pain, but it could be done.

• 3 weeks later...

The Dyson Sphere and Ringworld INSTs have eluded me so far. I have the techs (IE theory techs) about them. I have exploded a planet so I have that portion of the theory tech figured out. I have UGs so that should take care of the transportation requirement. Not sure about the smelting requirement. These two INSTs have been my Holy Grail in SN. I will find them.