Rolling Thunder Forums

game 93

gecko

This game is finally over! In the end, I lost all of my home provinces, but I still controlled 2 cities, as well as all the Saudi area I conquered. Can't say what my final score will be--don't really care to know--but I can say I survived the game.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sweet :) Now that this game is done there is still plenty of room in 98 if any of you haven't signed up for it yet. Only need a few to get it started. :cheers:

I'm already signed up, but it's just a question of which position I get. I favor doggy style, of course, but think Russ is strictly missionary. LOL

• 2 weeks later...

Although I am very rarely bothered by the creative use of the rules it is a bit sad to see that the Algerian player rather disbanded his ground units than to let me destroy them.

Of course the thought has crossed my mind but I don't think I would ever do this unless the other player would have totally pissed me off by his behaviour in the game. (lying, cheating, doublecrossing, backstabbing and the like).
I don't think that I did any of that. For me this is really something that should go on the list of DON'TS in this game.

What that is concerned credits to the TJ player who did not stoop to that level when we overran his country. (Although he did not have a chance while his TA's were standing idle in the Sinai).

Also thanks to Czech for not breaking our agreement when the situation had reversed.

Anyway, game over, mission completed. Don't know if I will be back but not in the near future anyway.

Yep, it's over! It appears to be a bitter end to some, and a semi-sweet end to others. I'm glad it's over because it became a job, instead of a game. I was disappointed with some behavior that flared up, and that is disheartening.

"Sun Tsu",

It's funny: No offense, but early in the game I took a dislike to your gaming personality (not you personally). You did not compromise at all, and you where extremely demanding. Not at all politically inclined IMO. What I was told by the original Yugoslavia, had me think that you were manipulative -But the "in your face" way; you were not at all sneaky about it. When you dropped your alliance with Poland, with the intent of turning on us... ;) ... But after I got to know Tony (1st Poland) [hind sight] I would have dropped the alliance myself! LOL Man, that guy was nuts!!! A couple of us were seriously thinking of dropping his TA and helping to take him out!

Thankfully your TA in Greece had a neutralizing effect, and helped soften that first impression. You should thank him (in part) that I didn't return the favor (dropping the ALL with Poland). That, and after a while of reading your posts, and a few emails, respect replaced the first impressions. Thank you for your considerations!

Kudo's to all that stuck with it to the very end!

Ron

93 Nordics and Russians (Norway, Sweden, Finland, North and Central Russia):

Why did you guys all drop?

You had our balls to the walls on several occasions. It seemed like once Iceland joined the Central Europe TA, your guys started dropping. But to tell the truth, Iceland expended his all (at the time), and had you stuck it out, you would have pushed him back into the Atlantic.

I understand South Russia became an issue for Central. But Central should have had a big advantage, and initiated the conflict.

Yep, it's over! It appears to be a bitter end to some, and a semi-sweet end to others. I'm glad it's over because it became a job, instead of a game. I was disappointed with some behavior that flared up, and that is disheartening.

"Sun Tsu",

It's funny: No offense, but early in the game I took a dislike to your gaming personality (not you personally). You did not compromise at all, and you where extremely demanding. Not at all politically inclined IMO. What I was told by the original Yugoslavia, had me think that you were manipulative -But the "in your face" way; you were not at all sneaky about it. When you dropped your alliance with Poland, with the intent of turning on us... ;) ... But after I got to know Tony (1st Poland) [hind sight] I would have dropped the alliance myself! LOL Man, that guy was nuts!!! A couple of us were seriously thinking of dropping his TA and helping to take him out!

Thankfully your TA in Greece had a neutralizing effect, and helped soften that first impression. You should thank him (in part) that I didn't return the favor (dropping the ALL with Poland). That, and after a while of reading your posts, and a few emails, respect replaced the first impressions. Thank you for your considerations!

Kudo's to all that stuck with it to the very end!

Ron

You are right. When we decided not to attack Poland we basically put Yogoslavia on ice because he had nowhere to go.

We thought he could attack Italy but then we found that he also was part of your group.

And yes we then withdrew our TA offer to him because we thought he might drop or in case he would get into a war with you guys we could also intervene.

This I still don't feel too good about but it was the only way to keep the peace between our groups.

And about being blunt I can also not deny that but being Dutch I have a good excuse !

I trust you refer to the fact that we demanded all of Yugoslavia in case he would drop ? We would never have attacked him (if he would not break the peace with you) but did not consider it unlikely that he would drop after

this peace deal came into force. In that case we thought we could make that demand because your group was in enough trouble as it was and could not refuse.

It was quite complicated looking back on it.

Even if you try to deal with things in a fair way you sometimes end up in a situation which is messy and you have to live with that.

What is done is done but indeed it wasn't pretty and not to be repeated if not necessary.

PS. This situation has made it clear to me that whatever deal you make you should put a duration on it. From a game perspective you guys should have attacked us to secure winning it. I wouldn't mind if do anyway. My eventual objective became beating the SSAMT alliance and we did.

• 1 year later...

What a joke. A country that did not hold any of its home territory wins the game. Glad I gave up on this crap.

I wouldn't be so fast to discount Syria's achievements in Game 93.

First off he was part of a winning 'alliance' and if Morocco & Trans-Jordan (which was in bad shape as well after a long war against Rumania and Greece) had been able to break with an inactive TA (Spain) it would have been a 4-nation winning alliance. Your own alliance finished just a few points behind and the third alliance (Rumania, Greece and Southern Russia) were even closer to your alliance than you were to the winning one. It was a closely decided game to be sure.

As far as Syria itself...yes, it was being pushed back and in the end had lost it's home territory and just had conquered territories to continue the fight. It's standing forces were dwindling but it had put up a good fight - naval kills (13,985) were 5th overall, air kills (134,420) were 2nd overall and ground kills (103,188) were 1st overall. Territory is a factor in determining victory but it isn't the only one. Syria may have been losing the war but it had been fighting hard the whole way...

Game 93 was a hard fought game between three alliances and it was extremely close. If the game had continued on for a longer period of time things may well have shaken things out to a clearly dominant alliance but time is a factor in Victory! as well. At the end of TP 73, all three alliances had a legitimate shot at winning. It's a shame that Morocco and Trans-Jordan weren't able to break with inactive Spain to be part of the official winning alliance since they were very much a part of it during play but it wasn't a 'joke' that they came away with the win, even if only by a few points.

Russ

What a joke. A country that did not hold any of its home territory wins the game. Glad I gave up on this crap.

I was at war non-stop the entire game, I unfortunately didn't have the luxury you did with having a large non-TA alliance as my next door neighbors. I even emailed you, or one of your TA's when there was a year or so left in the game to see about coming in against the Rumanian alliance. I warned you if you didn't you would be handing them the game and lose it for yourself. Maybe you agreed to be friends the entire game, I've had deals like that myself, but then you run the risk of losing the game due to your deals. One BIG thing that hurt you was piling up on our 4 man alliance with 10 nations. Even though we couldn't stop you, you had to split your war kills with different alliances thus lowering your average and raising ours.

I'm about as shocked as anyone that we won the game, but I'll take it win! The last dozen turns were a real grind but it paid off. It as good gaming with all of you and I hope you reconsider and get into another game of Victory. You guys did very, very well.

- Andy aka Syria 93