Rolling Thunder Forums

Universal Gate

that depends on the distances involved and the type of gate

I have gotten them down to 0% but they have been as high as 18%

You will have to experiment but dont expect to get 0% with your beginning gates.

Even so a gate a low gate loss can end up being 0 losses if you TR your stuff taking advantage of fractions.

For example lets say your loss is 4% over 8 jumps. The most you should TR in a single order would be 12 of any single item

because... 12 x .96 equals 11.52. 11.52 is rounded up to 12 so you dont lose any of your valuable Type D Spinal Starbores

if you tried to transport 13 you would have lost one. In this example you could TR 300 of those bad boys with not a loss of one

even with a 4% 'gate'tax' in one TR order (TR orders have 25 entries so 12 x 25 = 300)

Thats one of the really BIG differences between Andromeda and Draco. Should your HW ever fall and you just happen to have a bunch a buddies or not that could help retake it

the HW itself will be pretty much as you left it. Moving pop off the planet in numbers that would make a difference would be quite the endeavor as it would need to be done the old fashion way. :) That feat alone would require nothing but the construction of colony berthings for well over 2 real years of game time assuming 150 million per turn production.

If someone did take your homeworld in Draco he would not have been building that many colonial berthings. Nothing will prevent him from doing it once he takes your world but then you have a good 2 years to try and retake it. :)

Will Draco I don't any problems in it yet just in my Andromeda is were all my problems are and as far as allied I don't have any the one who was my allied is the one who took over my home world. I have a little bit over 550,000 colonists I need to move out to a different system to rebuild

An ally took over your Homeworld? Well now that wasn't a very good ally in hindsight. You shouldn't have that issue in Draco. I stubborn defender would have to be nuked to be defeated and theres no point in nuking when your after the pop in the first place. Unless your a Death Machine of course. Or a race that doesn't care about nuking 100's of

thousands of pop since they increase pop like bunnies. I'd watch out for those rabbits in space. :woohoo:

That's true although ive never tried to gate something across the galaxy in one order. This would be a great way to 'scorch the earth' so to speak. Gate everything away to oblivion before the pop center falls into enemy hands. This tactic also makes it tough to reclaim your lost home world unfortunately

Minimum Gate tax for universal gates is 1%

Minimum for Planetary gates can get down to 0% so those you want to use for planets in the same system.

Distance is not how many warps away you are but the actual straight line distance in a 3D universe. Since we only have 2D information you have to test. Higher end WP's tend to be a greater distance and a higher gate tax. The gate tax is a non linear calculation and it drops off very quickly.

Higher tech does reduce losses, but distance is the key. While you can figure that anything with in 10 hops will be doable and not cost prohibitive, you will never know until you set up gates and test them.

Sometimes it is better to have a series of gates all of a lower tax rate than a single hop, but most of the time I find that it is not worth the effort.

If you are still small and losing 10% of your transfers really matters you should think about convoy routes and freighters. High AP fleets, say 500 AP, can move a great deal of stuff. I would not use this for mined materials but for everything else it is possible.

Happy Holidays!!

:cheers::holiday: