Rolling Thunder Forums

Wasted or Useful Research

richardjohns

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Planetary Shield Generators are defenses you can build (like a building) that protects your pop group from Mass Destruction Devices that get dropped on you. It's like 1 building per 100 pop for max defense. However, it costs about 5m Adv ConMats if memory serves. Okay, the Integrated Dimensional Field Stabilizer, Integrated Molecular Pattern Stabilizer, and Transdimensional Shifter all sound worthy of looking at. I've never seen those techs before.

ANZ: Integrated Dimensional Field Stabilizer

Integrated Dimensional Field Stabilizer: Integrated Dimensional Field Stabilizers cover a ship in an energy web that attempts to

prevent its component atoms from being dematerialized by enemy weaponry. This has applications against Dimensional Rift

Cannons and other fearsome weapons. (10,000 tons)

10,000 Advanced Electronics - 10,000 Advanced Synthetic Materials - 20,000 Advanced Transaluminum - 10,000 Rare Elements

Classification: Defensive System Structural Integrity: 10000

Prerequisite Technologies: Dimensional Rift Cannon, Mk III Energy Absorber Grid

Displacement Blink Speed: Phenomenal [200000]

Counters: Gravitonics

Field Stabilization Reaction Time: Phenomenal [400000]

Counters: Energy Disruptors

Molecular Pattern Stabilization Intensity: Phenomenal [100000]

Counters: Matter Disruptors

Lugal,

Thanks for posting the ANZ. I'm guessing that I'm not the only one that has tried to uncover the mythical Dyson Sphere INST. I suspected the Energy Absorber Grid techs simply because a Dyson Sphere is collecting a large amount of solar energy and radiation and that it might be needed to make one.

Since we are talking about tech, I am very interested if anyone is seeing if breakthroughs and explorations hits are actually helping in research. Right now, I am seeing they are doing nothing at all. Remember, we are talking about Draco. Three hits from exploration does not move the bar of Advanced Refined Crystals and one hit from breakthroughs do nothing for Advanced materials. I'm still a new empire at turn 19, more info will tell us something. If you have anymore info Draco let me know. However, do not repeat what is written below. I am asking if anyone to share what they found in Draco like I am doing. Anything is appreciated.

The following are notes from the Draco guide.

Research emphasizes actually researching an item instead of simply getting a huge pile of scientists and relying on random scientist hits to complete projects with extreme speed. This will lead to lower tech items having a longer shelf life. If you build a fleet early on, it should be relevant for a longer period of time. If your neighbors decide to stockpile their resources with the thought of building 3rd of 4th generation ships, they should pay for that risk if you attack using 2nd generation ships.

Scientist research point hits reduced significantly

Slot-1 research capped at 2nd generation items

Exploration, leaders, traditions, religions, other changes not mentioned here….

Its early days yet, but my current working hypothesis is each scientist hit gives you about 1/3 of a research point. I have a 4th generation tech that by my calculation it should be just under 10%, but it has had one hit and shows as 10%.

Remember, the research bar only shows in 10% jumps, so if you had hits that improved a tech from 10% up to 19%, the bar would not look any different that turn. You have to check on turns where you should be just under the next bar to see if the hits push you over.

I'll take a look at some of those items (Improved Food Concentrates for ground units for example) to make sure they synched up right in the Draco tech file when Draco got created. They definitely need to be useful--if there's an issue, I can edit the tech to make sure that's fixed up.

Any word on how this issue is progressing?

Okay, I just popped Mk II Force Shields. The difference in strength is the only difference from Andro. Here's the respective strengths compared.

Shield/Andro/Draco

Mk I - 300 - 200

Mk II - 700 - 400

If the Draco shield strengths merely double with each new Mk version, then the Mk IX Force Shields will have a strength of 38,400 versus the impressive Andro Mk IX which has a strength of 250,000. My guess is that shields aren't going to be as spiffy as in Andro. Armor is going to be a nice addition to any ship design in Draco. I'm assuming that if a ship takes integrity damage then it's weapon damage output is reduced accordingly just like in Andro.

I don't mind sharing the info since I am seeing Draco very much as Us (players) vs Them (Death Machines). And since multiple players have already poked the bear, information sharing will only help us turn the Death Machines into scrap metal. I'm just waiting to find a System named Sol with a terrestrial planet in the third orbit with a ground base named Skynet.

And, for Draco players, did anyone else get this on the previous turn?

"In addition, your sources report that your standing army is the largest that they have encountered anywhere."