Rolling Thunder Forums

Wasted or Useful Research

richardjohns

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sometimes I like to add some flavor to this turn or that, and this is one of the more recent ones. I can't imagine any udder story that is both related to the topic at hand and says it quite like this one, so here you go (specific empire info redacted and permission granted by the player involved to post this). It concerns an epic encounter between a massive fleet of warships and a small, unassuming Light Tanker.....

=========================================================================================================================

The enemy ------ class Light Tanker turns out to be a cleverly-disguised Moo-ship! Huge gun ports open up all along its

side and holding true to classic ------ tradition they begin spewing forth a massive wave of cattle, buffalo and other

related creatures. Stunned by this brazen display in the face of overwhelming ------ firepower, but always ready for

anything, Fleet Admiral ----- ----- orders fully half of his flagship's 10cm Gatling CIDS to concentrate their firepower

on the lead wave of buffalos to clear the way for the other CIDS batteries to focus on the stupendous numbers of cows and

other cattle in subsequent waves. Even this mighty display of point defenses is unable to pierce the growing waves of

bovine projectiles, resulting in ----- making the difficult but necessary call of Broken Arrow (fleet being overrun by

enemy cattle in close quarters). All gun crews, even including massive 800cm Spinal Rail Guns, are diverted from their

primary target to defend the fleet from what would otherwise have been inevitable destruction by way of cow torpedoes. This

desperate act saves the fleet, and probably the empire, as the dreaded bovine attack is thwarted.

=========================================================================================================================

Pete or Russ,

I have completed all the Improved materials. You have given us an idea what improved and advanced food concentrates are from this turns Imperial Activity report this turn.

However, I still need to know about the following

Improved Luxury Goods

Improved Plantfoods

Improved Foodstuffs

Improved Consumer Goods

Improved Weapons.

These took a lot of time to finish and now I want to know if they are useful because I have met a player. :laugh: Are they useful in trading, production, etc.? :rolleyes:

Alien Fleet Sighting : Arnall Warp Point # 592 [warp move by empire # 5930] [stellar cartography reports that Warp Point # 592 has not yet been surveyed by your scouts] URS The Ursine Empire # 6464 'Slashing Black Claws On A Red Background' [Quebec] 405th Warp Survey Group 1 COLM Spelunker A1 (Medium Colonial Transport - 75,000 tons)

Also, if your that player could you message me. :)

I wonder what will happen to the research points for those of us that used RC's and possibly Santa Points to research or buy improved foodstuffs which at the time was required to build improved food concentrates? Now that Improved/Advanced Food Concentrates is effectively a horizon tech much like pulse engines all you need to do

is research improved/advanced food concentrates and not even worry about improved/advanced foodstuffs. Those items have been effectively regulated to the dustbin

of Galaxy. Lets hope the research points didn't join them. :)

With the new addition to Draco, Pete has given improved and advanced food concentrates some value but........

Was it intentional that improved and advanced foodstuffs remain worthless? Their only value is to allow building the actually worthless food concentrates! Would it not be wiser to tweak the Tech tree so that improved food concentrates could,not be researched untill you have researched improved foodstuffs, and then do the same for the advanced version?