Rolling Thunder Forums

Number of Planets per Star

Emporer Magara

Don't worry about it. What could you do with a system that has 40 planets and moons? I found two such systems and haven't the slightest idea what to do with it with my current tech level. Having fewer planets will make colony choices easier and less of a pain to run. My home system has 3 planets and no moons. At least both have crystals but have no atmosphere.

I know of one player who so far has yet to see a star without planets as they explore. While another has only found 5 out of 20 stars with planets so far. So I would say you are just unlucky right now.

I say unlucky as the more planets to potentially explore, the better the potential for finding neutrals and the better for finding worlds you want to colonize. Sure a system with 40+ planets and moons is daunting to explore. But the odds are better there will be a world closer to your homeworld that you might colonize. The odds are better there could be a world with real rich resources. More worlds = more places to build colonies with Science Installations to help explore those annoying E, F, and G warp points as well.

Over the long run things will even out (it is random). And your homeworld is your source of production and power for SO long into the game, the early lack of planets near you will mean very little.

Hehe - my second position's home system is completely surrounded by Warp Nexus. This means that I have to go 2 systems out and spend more fuel for that first colony as my home system doesnt have anything habitable either.

Disadvantage?

Nah :huh:

For now, it turns my focus to exploration, destroyers etc. instead of colonization.

Here are a few hard numbers for you to compare your finds with.

5.56 planets per system (including all systems with/without planets)

10.5 planets per system - only systems with planets

29 - most planets in a system

1 - least planets in a system

47% of all systems surveyed are Nexus

30% of all planets have an atmosphere

observation - F & G warp points seem to like nexus systems ie., most of my F's and G's wind up in a nexus.

The more planets you find the more planets you have to explore. I recently found an advanced neutral pretty close to the homeworld in a system with lots of planets because it has taken me a while to get all of the planets scanned. What really matters to me is how many planets you find with atmosphere that might support a neutral.

Thats good news that there is more than one or so planets per sun. Its much more profitable to have colonies in the same system than at different stars. No fuel costs that way. I am concerened because my hw has no recorces for fuel. Have to strip mine for fuel and most every warp point is a D or E. !!!! :unsure: Fuel is going to be important for us. My empire for a Gass Giant!!! Second though maybe not :lol:

Read Petes post on fueling. You can skim for fuel on justa bout any planet with an atmospher or an ocean. Methane is the best option if you don't have a gas giant. Plus you can quickly get some advances to create fuel much more economically than using indstrial centers to do it. :unsure:

As it turns out you really dont need that many resources to produce fuel. 10000 petroleum would equate to operating 5000 fuel dist complexes for 1250000 million fuel produced per turn. Double that if you went for the 500 fuel per turn complex and generating 10000 petroleum would only cost you 400 IC's. The problem is not producing the fuel its getting it to the ships on the fringe.