Rolling Thunder Forums

F.A.Q.

RTGRuss

This depends on the situation.

If you have experienced troops (line, veteran, elite) with an ave. eff. above 50% then it is better to reinforce these troops instead of building new ones. For veteran units it makes also sense for ave. eff. down to 31% for elite also below 31%. The combat and more important the moral values of experienced troops are higher so get more combat power for your money and armament points. There is of course an exception to this rule. If a new technology has a major advantage (e.g. the first T34 for the Russian technology with their DSM=0.7) then it might be better to build new units or upgrade old ones.

A problem might be that you have to stop your attacks for one turn to draw replacements. If your troops make fast progress at the front then it might be better to build new troops. But it is also possible to reinforce while you are conquering new province. At the moment you take a new city you can use its railway. Then you could send ARM, IR AR to this city and reinforce the troop.

The best rule is to ask yourself what you will need in the next turns. Calculate what you get if you reinforce and what you get if you build new ones.

The Monk

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 years later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Is there a program which replaces the old vicman? Vicman won't run on Vista.

Hmmmmmmm......................I have a PC Vista machine and Vicman runs on mine.

The problem is more likely to be a x64 version of Windows. Vicman is not x64 compliant.

• 2 weeks later...

Hmmmmmmm......................I have a PC Vista machine and Vicman runs on mine.

The problem is more likely to be a x64 version of Windows. Vicman is not x64 compliant.

Affirmative. I have W7/32 at work. Vicman runs great. W7/64 at home and Vicman doesn't run. Tried all the tricks, no result.

Von Manstein

Affirmative. I have W7/32 at work. Vicman runs great. W7/64 at home and Vicman doesn't run. Tried all the tricks, no result.

Von Manstein

my problem as well.

• 3 weeks later...

That's because the CPU is designed that way.

It can only downscale one level in precision. If it is running in 32 bits mode, it can handle the direct CPU emulation of the 16 bits environment (for which VicMan is compiled. It's a win 3.x executable).

However, if the CPU is running in 64 bits mode, if can only natively downscale to the 32 bits context. Not the further downscale of 16 bits. That's because there is only 1 bit reserved in the segment registers for a precision access modifier, not two bits.

The only way around this is a full virtual machine emulator. Microsoft has thought about this, and has provided an XP virtual machine emulator in Windows 7 just for this type of problem.

It can only downscale one level in precision. If it is running in 32 bits mode, it can handle the direct CPU emulation of the 16 bits environment (for which VicMan is compiled. It's a win 3.x executable).

However, if the CPU is running in 64 bits mode, if can only natively downscale to the 32 bits context. Not the further downscale of 16 bits. That's because there is only 1 bit reserved in the segment registers for a precision access modifier, not two bits.

The only way around this is a full virtual machine emulator. Microsoft has thought about this, and has provided an XP virtual machine emulator in Windows 7 just for this type of problem.

Okay Im a bit of a windows dummy, I have 64 bit windows 7 so where is this emulator thingy that will allow me to run VicMan

Okay Im a bit of a windows dummy, I have 64 bit windows 7 so where is this emulator thingy that will allow me to run VicMan

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/download.aspx

• 3 years later...

I clicked the link and then the download button, got three choises to pick from

File Name
Size

Windows6.1-KB958559-x86-RefreshPkg.msu

15.3 MB

15.3 MB

Windows6.1-KB958559-x64-RefreshPkg.msu

Which one of these is it????????????

• 5 weeks later...

I clicked the link and then the download button, got three choises to pick from

File Name
Size

Windows6.1-KB958559-x86-RefreshPkg.msu

15.3 MB

15.3 MB

Windows6.1-KB958559-x64-RefreshPkg.msu

Which one of these is it????????????

depends on the version you are running x86 is for 32-bit windows 7, x64 is for the 64-bit version of windows

• 1 month later...

Known bugs and unexpected features list:

Tactical airstrikes. <Bug>

When a OMA TAS order does not find a target the force is not marked as committed, so you can still perform a primary mission with it. This way you can make a list of locations with a list of orders and improve the chances your bombers will hit something.
Each order will check for weather cancillation.
Other air strikes do not do this. So a OMA MS will be counted as a performed primry mission even if it found an empty sea. So will OMA TBSA and OMA SB.
This greatly increase the usefulness of bombers against ground troops.

Rebases costing Ammunition. <Illogical feature>
When performing a rebase OMA BT an air unit that would consume ammunition requires ammunition.
The ammunition is not transported to the target airbase, so we can only presume that it is dropped during the rebase.
"Timber"

Figher cover intercepting the wrong air group. <bug>

When a group of bombers from nation A attacks a army from nation B in a city, where it is under siege from player C a figher cover of player C might intercept the bombers. If all three players are at war with eachother. Even if there is no unit from player C targetted.
"The enemy of my enemy is still my enemy".

Resource exploration forever! <bug>

RPD orders that do not cause an increase in the resource won't cost you $100.
This vastly increases the economy of the RPD order.

Bad morale lasts forever. <Unexpected feature>

Try to avoid a negative morale score. Countries with a negative morale are susceptible to a combination of Force Peace, Break Political Agreement and Declare War orders from which there is almost no recovery. An opponent could DW, invade and immediately in the same turn FP, making any counter attack impossible. You will be pealed and eaten like a banana this way.

(Please contribute to the list and make it something worthy of a Sticky)

(Just to create a level playing field. A lot of knowledge isn't in the rules)

(On behalf of my neighbour who just lost half his bomberforce to nr3)

When ordering an OMG, setting the merge option to "NO" will cancel the entire order if the target location is non-hostile, allowing you to set multiple default orders for the same ground unit to cover a list of possibly captured areas (similar effect to the first entry on the list, but for ground units). <little realised Feature>