Rolling Thunder Forums

Victory! map in programs

While programming the (soon to be released) order entry program, several people have inquired if it was possible to use the map in programs. Either to display controlled territory, or to build a completely graphical order entry program in which you don't issue OMG orders at all, but drag and drop army icons on a map.

At the time I stated that this was well beyond my programming capabilities, but they have improved since then, so now it may be possible. What I would need before I can even start thinking about such programs though is 2 maps:

1. A cleaned up version of the map (possibly without names, terrain and resource icons) that will display nicely at both high and low resolutions.
  2. A version of the map in which ALL provinces and sea zones have a unique color.

While I am no longer a VB.NET beginner, I am not very good with graphical editing programs, so I would need someone else to make these.

Additionally I would need some lists:

1. A list of the resources in every province
  2. A list of the terrain type for every province
  3. A list of the country for which a province is considered 'home' territory
  4. A list of the X and Y coordinates of the (approximate) center of each province and sea zone on the map
  5. A reference to go with the second map, identifying each province and sea zone by color.

The first 3 I could probably create myself if I have all setups available (which I don't) to analyze with a script. The last 2 would probably have to be done by anyone who creates the second map.

So I guess this post comes down to the question if anyone is willing to invest time in a project that may never lead to a completed program, because I can assure you that I will try, but I can't promise any results. It's still only a hobby. Anyone willing to make these maps/lists?

I can offer my time to assist - but have no details of any counties barring the two I have been involved with - Saudi and Iraq.

I can send you these of course - and if anyone wanted to sned me theirs for support for this listing I'd be happy to condense their lists as well to support your initiative.

How do you want them listed in word, excel or comma delimited format?

Cheers

DaveM

While programming the (soon to be released) order entry program, several people have inquired if it was possible to use the map in programs. Either to display controlled territory, or to build a completely graphical order entry program in which you don't issue OMG orders at all, but drag and drop army icons on a map.

At the time I stated that this was well beyond my programming capabilities, but they have improved since then, so now it may be possible. What I would need before I can even start thinking about such programs though is 2 maps:

1. A cleaned up version of the map (possibly without names, terrain and resource icons) that will display nicely at both high and low resolutions.
  2. A version of the map in which ALL provinces and sea zones have a unique color.

While I am no longer a VB.NET beginner, I am not very good with graphical editing programs, so I would need someone else to make these.

Additionally I would need some lists:

1. A list of the resources in every province
  2. A list of the terrain type for every province
  3. A list of the country for which a province is considered 'home' territory
  4. A list of the X and Y coordinates of the (approximate) center of each province and sea zone on the map
  5. A reference to go with the second map, identifying each province and sea zone by color.

The first 3 I could probably create myself if I have all setups available (which I don't) to analyze with a script. The last 2 would probably have to be done by anyone who creates the second map.

So I guess this post comes down to the question if anyone is willing to invest time in a project that may never lead to a completed program, because I can assure you that I will try, but I can't promise any results. It's still only a hobby. Anyone willing to make these maps/lists?

I got a complete set of setups from someone yesterday, so I'll build the terrain, resource and 'home territory' lists myself with a script. Thanks for the offer though! The setups I have for Norway, Southern Russia and United States are not prefect though, so if anyone has these please send them to me.

The second map and the last list are the most important to me now. If I have these I can start programming I think.

If anyone has suggestions about what you would like to see in an application, and how you think it should look on-screen, please post them here. Alternatively, you can see if I'm online at MSN: nilsvanschaik@hotmail.com

(I may not always reply, especially during UTC+1 business hours.)

Any chance you could forward them on for me to look over?

One thing I would like to se is the ability to show an AIC by showing this over the map. You m ight also see what changes could be made - what if type of processes.

I'd also like to see different icons showing for a particular nation different views - where pop was unused, where materials were used faster than they are created, or surpluses. or all etc?

this may be way beyond what might be on offer - but it is something that would be nice to model via an economy module.

There might also be a diplomacy view - linking like nations together under a single colour, ie select a nation and all relationships (known to you) are displayed on it.

Finally I'd like to see the ability to have a military view - airbases, fleets, army and ability to define movement from one location to another etc.

That is my first wish list - lots more ideas to consider - let me know if I am way off beam

Cheers

I got a complete set of setups from someone yesterday, so I'll build the terrain, resource and 'home territory' lists myself with a script. Thanks for the offer though! The setups I have for Norway, Southern Russia and United States are not prefect though, so if anyone has these please send them to me.

The second map and the last list are the most important to me now. If I have these I can start programming I think.

If anyone has suggestions about what you would like to see in an application, and how you think it should look on-screen, please post them here. Alternatively, you can see if I'm online at MSN: nilsvanschaik@hotmail.com

(I may not always reply, especially during UTC+1 business hours.)

One thing I would like to se is the ability to show an AIC by showing this over the map. You m ight also see what changes could be made - what if type of processes.

I'd also like to see different icons showing for a particular nation different views - where pop was unused, where materials were used faster than they are created, or surpluses. or all etc?

this may be way beyond what might be on offer - but it is something that would be nice to model via an economy module.

There might also be a diplomacy view - linking like nations together under a single colour, ie select a nation and all relationships (known to you) are displayed on it.

Finally I'd like to see the ability to have a military view - airbases, fleets, army and ability to define movement from one location to another etc.

For starters: I don't exactly know how I can use the map in a program yet. With what I know so far, I could make it clickable and display information about the province you clicked. I am trying to find out how to display icons on the map or highlight certain areas and preferrably make them draggable or something.

I asked because I would like a wishlist before I actually start programming. Last time I had to change the whole architecture of the program twice to add more functionality. So I've learned.....

The ideal program for me would import my turn results, display everything on a map and let me create my orders for the next turn by interacting with that map. Let's just assume this is what I will be building.

What do you (everyone) think I should use as a data source? Just your last turn results, last and previous turn results, other people's turn results and/or maybe let you modify the data by hand?

Clearly you should be able to start with an import mechanism from the VIC file. What might be interesting is the intelligence sections - especially if Total Allies send you their TRN results or Intelligence only part. So I think it needs to enable both player and others sheets. As this is only a small effort using a structured design mechanism then you could allow previous turn results, but I am not sure if this would be really useful overall. I do think that there would be a need for a memory to see if opponents troops can be tracked or a once look at a city on Turn 12 can still be viewed (but shown as out of date) on Turn 16 even though it is not part of the current turn report. Just my 2p worth of course.

I have some ideas of a database driven design for data storage if you are interested - not complete yet and nothing that is not obvious to a technical person but if I can help.

Cheers

DaveM

For starters: I don't exactly know how I can use the map in a program yet. With what I know so far, I could make it clickable and display information about the province you clicked. I am trying to find out how to display icons on the map or highlight certain areas and preferrably make them draggable or something.

I asked because I would like a wishlist before I actually start programming. Last time I had to change the whole architecture of the program twice to add more functionality. So I've learned.....

The ideal program for me would import my turn results, display everything on a map and let me create my orders for the next turn by interacting with that map. Let's just assume this is what I will be building.

What do you (everyone) think I should use as a data source? Just your last turn results, last and previous turn results, other people's turn results and/or maybe let you modify the data by hand?