Rolling Thunder Forums

Naval Combat Primer (old)

RTGRuss

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 8 years later...

Are you sure that drones and fighters can't be loaded into cargo? Why can't they? If I find some drones during explores they should pop into cargo like anything else so why can't you transport them as cargo. I obviously haven't tried this, but this recent comment was the first time I had heard it suggested that fighters and drones couldn't be carried as cargo. In fact previous discussions were centered on how you would get them out of cargo and into the racks between engagements.

http://www.rollingthunderforums.com/public/style_emoticons/#EMO_DIR#/unsure.png

Each item in the game is given a cargo type which is used to determine what carries it. This is especially critical for Load Cargo orders, post-combat losses and naval reorganizations. Fighters load into Fighter Bays and don't spill over into Cargo Bays--it's one or the other (Fighter Bays in this case).

I am considering adding a new item type to allow for crated Fighters and Drones. A different item would be needed for each Fighter/Drone type, and it would load into Cargo Bays. A new order would be needed to allow for the uncrating and assembly of the stored Fighters/Drones. They would not launch on their own in combat as they would be just regular cargo like Coal, Iron or other regular cargo-type items. Additionally, they would not automatically uncrate and refill existing Fighter Bays or Drone Racks--there is a question of which ones to uncrate, and in any event an automatic system would too strongly benefit carriers on the defensive. This is a significant weakness of carriers: if an attacker can wipe your racks/bays in one engagement, he has gained clear sailing for any followup forces. You would need to resupply just at the right time, an unlikely proposition. You could have easily resupplied if over a friendly world, via Load Cargo, but a crating system would make deep space resupply missions a reality.

You would still be well advised to create a forward resupply base, however: even if you did bring up cargo ships loaded with spare Fighters and Drones, and transferred them into your battle fleet (followed by an uncrate/assembly order), moving the cargo ships back out again could cause trouble with any other items in the fleet cargo holds (they would take said items with them). A fleet-to-fleet specific cargo transfer order is unlikely for a number of reasons, making forward bases the way to go when dealing with complicated cargo transfers.

Note that all of this is just under consideration, and is not coded yet.

Are you sure that drones and fighters can't be loaded into cargo? Why can't they? If I find some drones during explores they should pop into cargo like anything else so why can't you transport them as cargo. I obviously haven't tried this, but this recent comment was the first time I had heard it suggested that fighters and drones couldn't be carried as cargo. In fact previous discussions were centered on how you would get them out of cargo and into the racks between engagements.

http://www.rollingthunderforums.com/public/style_emoticons/#EMO_DIR#/unsure.png

Each item in the game is given a cargo type which is used to determine what carries it. This is especially critical for Load Cargo orders, post-combat losses and naval reorganizations. Fighters load into Fighter Bays and don't spill over into Cargo Bays--it's one or the other (Fighter Bays in this case).

I am considering adding a new item type to allow for crated Fighters and Drones. A different item would be needed for each Fighter/Drone type, and it would load into Cargo Bays. A new order would be needed to allow for the uncrating and assembly of the stored Fighters/Drones. They would not launch on their own in combat as they would be just regular cargo like Coal, Iron or other regular cargo-type items. Additionally, they would not automatically uncrate and refill existing Fighter Bays or Drone Racks--there is a question of which ones to uncrate, and in any event an automatic system would too strongly benefit carriers on the defensive. This is a significant weakness of carriers: if an attacker can wipe your racks/bays in one engagement, he has gained clear sailing for any followup forces. You would need to resupply just at the right time, an unlikely proposition. You could have easily resupplied if over a friendly world, via Load Cargo, but a crating system would make deep space resupply missions a reality.

You would still be well advised to create a forward resupply base, however: even if you did bring up cargo ships loaded with spare Fighters and Drones, and transferred them into your battle fleet (followed by an uncrate/assembly order), moving the cargo ships back out again could cause trouble with any other items in the fleet cargo holds (they would take said items with them). A fleet-to-fleet specific cargo transfer order is unlikely for a number of reasons, making forward bases the way to go when dealing with complicated cargo transfers.

Note that all of this is just under consideration, and is not coded yet.

Why not an uncrate order then JETT in sequence?

• 2 weeks later...