Rolling Thunder Forums

Gate-tech changes

Coconutheads

Geeze, make up your mind. You challenge me to a duel and now you are talking of suiciding your position(s)? I realize it must be a disappointment that I will not take you up on your offer in the immediate timeframe but geeze, I'll get to you sooner or later. Let us finish off your other friends first then you can have your turn.

As to the game being no fun anymore, is it your contention that your group (Phoenix Arisen) is tired of having it's asses handed to them every few turns? So, rather than even attempt to put up a credible fight, you'd collectively rather take the route of a loser and just quit? And not only quit but take everything with you? If that is the case, have fun spending that last six bucks to jump off a cliff. Also, enjoy your next game before you inevitably get your ass handed to you there as well.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Geeze, make up your mind. You challenge me to a duel and now you are talking of suiciding your position(s)? I realize it must be a disappointment that I will not take you up on your offer in the immediate timeframe but geeze, I'll get to you sooner or later. Let us finish off your other friends first then you can have your turn.

As to the game being no fun anymore, is it your contention that your group (Phoenix Arisen) is tired of having it's asses handed to them every few turns? So, rather than even attempt to put up a credible fight, you'd collectively rather take the route of a loser and just quit? And not only quit but take everything with you? If that is the case, have fun spending that last six bucks to jump off a cliff. Also, enjoy your next game before you inevitably get your ass handed to you there as well.

Your confused a couple of issues. Your playing is not a factor nor is your lack of manners. ROFLOL your a funny little man.

The point of the transfer out death is that I plan to do it NOW leaving nothing of the position. Your opponent waiting to long has nothing to do with the basic point that it was possible to do with previous orders.

First (@Locklyn) you would have to DISM all the stuff first before gating it to doom.

Second (@HumVie) you are really gating your stuff to doom on the first sight of a possible action?

Normally you do a COLB on the turn you clear the skies, so you only have about 2 orders left to do bad things to your HW (OC, DIV, GATK).

So, from what you tell me, you will DISM and gate all to doom (or alpha site) when a pathfinder finds your system!!!???

The point of the transfer out death is that I plan to do it NOW leaving nothing of the position. Your opponent waiting to long has nothing to do with the basic point that it was possible to do with previous orders.

First (@Locklyn) you would have to DISM all the stuff first before gating it to doom.

Second (@HumVie) you are really gating your stuff to doom on the first sight of a possible action?

Normally you do a COLB on the turn you clear the skies, so you only have about 2 orders left to do bad things to your HW (OC, DIV, GATK).

So, from what you tell me, you will DISM and gate all to doom (or alpha site) when a pathfinder finds your system!!!???

The game is mine! I just need to get 1 pathfinder to each player's homeworld! :thumbsup:

Your confused a couple of issues. Your playing is not a factor nor is your lack of manners. ROFLOL your a funny little man.

Nah I didn't confuse any issues. I pretty much assumed my refusal for an immediate duel was not part of your decision to tuck tail and high tail it out of the game.

Because of the U-gate technology and the previous issues with convoys slowing down the game I based my entire strategy development on gate technology.

And if Pete had gone with capping AP (and at some point still might), all those players that based their entire strategy on high AP convoy routes (which are well within the rules of the game and come no where near to abuse or cheating) would be screwed. But I still don't think that would be a true across the board game breaker that someone should quit over. By the same token, having tight restrictions on the use of Gates is not an across the board game breaker. In fact, it is absolutely necessary for game balance. And to use this as an excuse for quitting is just that, an excuse.

New tech advances and necessary changes to game mechanics are constantly changing the way this game is played. To be successful (and to enjoy it), you have to be flexible with your style of play and learn to adapt to frequent changes. You have to play the game that is given you, not necessarily the ideal game that you want.

I have to agree with Coconutheads assessment of your group's true reason for considering leaving the game....Lack of lasting success with any strategy.

Because of the U-gate technology and the previous issues with convoys slowing down the game I based my entire strategy development on gate technology.

And if Pete had gone with capping AP (and at some point still might), all those players that based their entire strategy on high AP convoy routes (which are well within the rules of the game and come no where near to abuse or cheating) would be screwed. But I still don't think that would be a true across the board game breaker that someone should quit over. By the same token, having tight restrictions on the use of Gates is not an across the board game breaker. In fact, it is absolutely necessary for game balance. And to use this as an excuse for quitting is just that, an excuse.

New tech advances and necessary changes to game mechanics are constantly changing the way this game is played. To be successful (and to enjoy it), you have to be flexible with your style of play and learn to adapt to frequent changes. You have to play the game that is given you, not necessarily the ideal game that you want.

I have to agree with Coconutheads assessment of your group's true reason for considering leaving the game....Lack of lasting success with any strategy.

I am glad you know other players reasons better than they do, GRATZ.

Personally what I am most worried about and what I hope Pete disallows is using Gate and 100% loss to destroy all your HW assests before they are captured by a conquering victor. If players are allowed to start using this to prevent their HWs from being captured I might as well just Nova their systems and get it over with.

I think Pete is on the ball with these changes and that it is too early to cry wolf untill we've seen the results of the higher techs. I am doing a lot of transfer tests with my buddies and when the summer is over I will try and share what I have found.

I think what upsets people is that they for once didn't expect Pete to implement his changes as soon as he did as in the past some changes he has said he implemented...didn't really implement or not in the manner it was implied.

Anyways, it is summer, it is warm and all the females are wearing way less clothes so let's all be happy for that!

:thumbsup:

/Locklyn

Following the principles laid out by Niccolo Machiavelli, I can not let any of MY HW's fall into enemy hands thereby increasing the enemies power. Therefore I WILL gate out every thing at the HW of any besieged HW. This is a principle of WAR used over and over again in war through out history. Burn crops, blow up buildings, destroy anything the enemy can use, then retreat.

IF the game master is going to disallow use of gates for this purpose, HE SHOULD let us know NOW

Pete has still not replied to this message.

Also Pete has told us in phone calls over a year ago the losses would never be 100 percent more like max of 60

Before we went to relying on UGs.

Personally what I am most worried about and what I hope Pete disallows is using Gate and 100% loss to destroy all your HW assests before they are captured by a conquering victor. If players are allowed to start using this to prevent their HWs from being captured I might as well just Nova their systems and get it over with.

:)

/Locklyn

It's an interesting topic for discussion.

However, this issue didn't come up before, when the defender could simply transfer everything off to some star system a gazillion jumps away. From the invader's point of view, those items were destroyed and gone forever. Now all of the sudden when the defender could conceivably destroy his own assets, it's a problem? I suspect he would transfer his assets off to a nearby ally or a new homeworld instead, but would make a lot of noise by threatening to destroy himself publicly just to try and discourage an attack. Even better, the attacker wouldn't know either way, but the defender kept his assets - a much better strategy for the conquered player than simply suiciding himself for nothing, especially when he was part of a major alliance that had plans to strike back. Of course, the attacker would still have picked up the probably-heavily-ICE'd world, a major prize in itself.

:cheers:

/Locklyn

It's an interesting topic for discussion.

However, this issue didn't come up before, when the defender could simply transfer everything off to some star system a gazillion jumps away. From the invader's point of view, those items were destroyed and gone forever. Now all of the sudden when the defender could conceivably destroy his own assets, it's a problem? I suspect he would transfer his assets off to a nearby ally or a new homeworld instead, but would make a lot of noise by threatening to destroy himself publicly just to try and discourage an attack. Even better, the attacker wouldn't know either way, but the defender kept his assets - a much better strategy for the conquered player than simply suiciding himself for nothing, especially when he was part of a major alliance that had plans to strike back. Of course, the attacker would still have picked up the probably-heavily-ICE'd world, a major prize in itself.

Well, a heavily ICEd planet is not worth much without the population manning it or industries converting it when you already have more ICEd worlds than you can convert at home. Its the population one is after, perhaps you could add some sort of slaving raid order? :) Now that would be cool :cheers:

As for before when people could transfer their stuff away, why sooner or later you'd find them, that's what spies are there for, people really underestimate the usefulness of spies in a war campaign. When they are obliterated, they are gone period. Of course you've destroyed some of that Empires production and strategic power but it's more likely it will lead to players dropping when they spend their dollars and orders on DISM and gating out stuff to keep it from enemy hands. Besides, I love spoils, especially if I am the one taking them.

/Locklyn

On that note, where are the Android Workers? I've been looking and researching for ages. I am cloning my pop left and right and giving them the best medical care I have but the buggers won't procreate faster than that 25,000 cap so I need to build some workers :cheers::) Now when will that be in? :cheers:

Cheers

/Locklyn

On that note, where are the Android Workers? I've been looking and researching for ages. I am cloning my pop left and right and giving them the best medical care I have but the buggers won't procreate faster than that 25,000 cap so I need to build some workers :cheers::) Now when will that be in? :cheers:

Cheers

/Locklyn

Please, you really do not want that!!! Here is what will happen.

Step one Pete adds Android Workers

Step two you build them, and populate many worlds

Step three someone finds a bug and produces more than even you can

step four Pete implements Android Worker retirement rate at 50 percent a turn, meaning they only last two turns now as a punishment for player abuse instead of just fixing the problem in a rational way.

Well Gary, you and your cronies should not have abused it in the first place. You find a bug, you report it to Pete. If he does nothing against that bug, you are free to use the gap. But it seems you have not reported the bug in the first place. The PA not even had the decency to build Gates at all !

That stupid stunt clearing a world 100% of pop and resources made the bug obvious for us, so we tested

and informed Pete.

If you would have left the 5 mill ACMs on that world, all would be fine.

Thank *you* for it, Gary !

I just want my Android Workers, preferably Nice ones like Pris or Rachael and no Roy Battys :)

/Locklyn

Please, you really do not want that!!! Here is what will happen.

Step two you build them, and populate many worlds

Step three someone finds a bug and produces more than even you can

step four Pete implements Android Worker retirement rate at 50 percent a turn, meaning they only last two turns now as a punishment for player abuse instead of just fixing the problem in a rational way.

Or would it be more like:

Step two you build them and populate many worlds

Step three the PA finds a cheat and is able to move them across 100 systmes without any gates or cargo ships and fortifies allies worlds that don't even have the capability to produce them.

Step four Pete fixes the code so Android Workers aren't abused and the fix AFFECTS EVERY PLAYER THE SAME WAY.

It's not Pete's fault that you invested heavily in a broken system. And if Pete starts NOT fixing bugs because some group of players happens to be taking advantage of that bug more than other players, then it will be time to quit.

You guys really need to get over this sour grapes bit.