Rolling Thunder Forums

Gate-tech changes

Coconutheads

On that note, where are the Android Workers? I've been looking and researching for ages. I am cloning my pop left and right and giving them the best medical care I have but the buggers won't procreate faster than that 25,000 cap so I need to build some workers :cheers::) Now when will that be in? :cheers:

Cheers

/Locklyn

Please, you really do not want that!!! Here is what will happen.

Step one Pete adds Android Workers

Step two you build them, and populate many worlds

Step three someone finds a bug and produces more than even you can

step four Pete implements Android Worker retirement rate at 50 percent a turn, meaning they only last two turns now as a punishment for player abuse instead of just fixing the problem in a rational way.

Step 5 Androids rebel and take over the planet

Step 6 Androids send agents back in time to sabotage your turns.

Hmm, maybe that's where all our errors come from...

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Guys,

We’ve received a lot of feedback on the recent change in gate technology and after examining the situation it’s clear that the losses for

Mk I, Mk II and Mk III Universal Gates were too harsh. The loss rates dropped off dramatically at the Mk IV+ levels but the formula was

so bad for the lower level gates that they were pretty much useless other than as horizon tech for the better gates.

Accordingly, we’ve altered the loss rates for the Mk I – III UGs so that they are much friendlier and provide a smoother transition to Mk

IV+ technology (which is not being changed). This will allow regional transfers between worlds at decent loss rates (it may even be 0%

depending on distance and gate tech level). This will change many of the loss rates noted last cycle so you should run small transfer

tests to determine the new loss rates before writing off a given gate link. The system is distance based and there is a distance wall,

if you will, at which point gate loss goes up to 100% right away. This prevents UG transfers beyond a certain distance so it’s possible

that some links may still be 100% but any regional links should be significantly improved now. Note that this will also help the

younger empires that haven’t researched UG technology at all yet – getting to Mk I UG tech will be much more useful.

With the new UG formula it now looks like there is no reason for Mk IV+ Planetary Cargo Gates - the Mk III PCG will now result in 0% losses.

If the Mk IV Planetary Cargo Gate has shown up as a researchable item don't bother working on it and we'll change the PCG tree to stop at Mk III.

We realize that change in an ongoing game is always a tricky business and we normally don't like to rock the boat too much, but in this

case we really believe that a change from the previous system of unlimited distance transfers at no loss was a necessary one.

Hopefully any other additions, changes, etc. we do for SuperNova will be smoother and less exciting :woohoo: We just want folks to have fun!

Take care & good gaming!

Russ

Russ n Pete

I am happy you listened to the response from the player group in regards to this. Will you still be employing a formula that calculates losses dependant on the Tech of both sides of the Transfer through the gate?

Continue the good work and thanks for being open to constructive criticism

Cheers

/Lars

Russ n Pete

I am happy you listened to the response from the player group in regards to this. Will you still be employing a formula that calculates losses dependant on the Tech of both sides of the Transfer through the gate?

Continue the good work and thanks for being open to constructive criticism

Cheers

/Lars

Hi Lars,

Yes - gate tech level on both sides is still a factor in the loss rate.

Take care & good gaming!

Russ

Personally, I am totally opposed to Gate technology, loss or no loss because I have watched captured HWs have their entire population removed. This seems incredibly wrong to me. No population in such a situation would just transfer and become happy citizens after being forcibly removed from their planet. It also is a strong incentive to abandon the game once your HW is lost. That some transported pop who knows how far before limits were re-established is just a knife twisting in an open wound. High thrust engines also make this possible as well, so gates aren't the only problem, but they are a problem when a person has basically regained the high ground and the pop still is "stolen".

Personally, I am totally opposed to Gate technology, loss or no loss because I have watched captured HWs have their entire population removed. This seems incredibly wrong to me. No population in such a situation would just transfer and become happy citizens after being forcibly removed from their planet. It also is a strong incentive to abandon the game once your HW is lost. That some transported pop who knows how far before limits were re-established is just a knife twisting in an open wound. High thrust engines also make this possible as well, so gates aren't the only problem, but they are a problem when a person has basically regained the high ground and the pop still is "stolen".

Don't forget that the population removed now becomes the actual population of the removing alien. So you can turn those cows into eagles, or humans, or whatever just by removing them.

Bio-engineering at its best :woohoo: The more slight in stature with soul piercing eyes citizens I have the better , be they once fearsome anthropodal insects or whatever . All are welcome . Join us!!Travel to our homeworld , prepare to be assimilated , resistance is futile!! I am Locutus.......

We all know Scotty (star trek) could tweek the transporter to do almost anything, including make two captain Kirks. So I see no problems with this as long as your empire has a Mk IX Scotty. Maybe a tweek of the UG is the way to androids, send in people get out androids.

I need a point of clarification.

PSG are now limited to MK III.

Are UG's also limited to MK III or are they still going to go up to MK VI?

The Planetary Cargo Gates are going to be stopping at Mk III - Universal Gates will still be going up to Mk VI as planned.

Russ

I have no problem with this except that my main empire successfully researched Mk IV Matter Transporter in a single turn. I was worried about my loss rate for the large number of PCGs I use and wanted to get it down as fast as possible. Looks like I wasted the RCs that turn. *shrug* Them's the breaks. Good to see the PCGs not subject to loss rates any more.

Sakarissa :woohoo:

The Circle

I need a point of clarification.

PSG are now limited to MK III.

Are UG's also limited to MK III or are they still going to go up to MK VI?

The Planetary Cargo Gates are going to be stopping at Mk III - Universal Gates will still be going up to Mk VI as planned.

Russ