Rolling Thunder Forums

Gate-tech changes

Coconutheads

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Ori commander looks at the gate , a worried look on his face . " Should I risk it , and go through to the other world? " Months ago the trip was totally safe , and never anything was lost ...recently reports from the other world have lead the Intergalatic Transportation Bureau to conclude that a massive shift in the time continuum has caused the gates to become unstable with current technology , and the scientists are now feverishly working with alarmed despair to set things right again . " The distant colony desperately needs reinforcements , and we have 50 shiny new Guards and Imperial Army Divisions scheduled to be sent to the world....how many , if any , would arrive whole if I sent them through? " Commander Artorius decides it is not worth the risk . " Adjutant , send the troops back to the barracks . Two days of R&R , and then back to the training fields . We wait until the new troop transports are finished !" The adjutant glides back to the command center , a relieved look on his face , to relay the changed orders to the staff.....

• 3 weeks later...

I have an idea....and while it was mainly spawned from all the posts in the Semjan "discussions" I thought it was more relevant posted here:

To stop the sudden transfer of all the POP from a world or the "Scorched Earth" scenarios that have been mentioned now that gates apply losses to gated movements. How about a certain percentage of population refusing to go through the gate. A sort of "I'm happy where I am/these bug-eyed monsters above us look like they will treat us well" or a BA Baracus style "I ain't going through no gate fool!!" mentality if you will. This could apply to large population movements (large being a big percentage of total pop?) on an increasing or random scale. Maybe even affected by racial traits (The cowardly instinct springs to mind). You could also apply the same to attempts to convert large numbers of pop to colonists or colonists to troopers.

You could even go one further and pop could riot and stop the dismantling of all useful buildings!

This way the victors of a planetary invasion will still gain something and it might go some way to stopping cries of "foul play".

I will admit that I am no where near developing gate technology so apologies if I have overlooked some of the game mechanics already involved, but let me know what you think.

I have an idea....and while it was mainly spawned from all the posts in the Semjan "discussions" I thought it was more relevant posted here:

To stop the sudden transfer of all the POP from a world or the "Scorched Earth" scenarios that have been mentioned now that gates apply losses to gated movements. How about a certain percentage of population refusing to go through the gate. A sort of "I'm happy where I am/these bug-eyed monsters above us look like they will treat us well" or a BA Baracus style "I ain't going through no gate fool!!" mentality if you will. This could apply to large population movements (large being a big percentage of total pop?) on an increasing or random scale. Maybe even affected by racial traits (The cowardly instinct springs to mind). You could also apply the same to attempts to convert large numbers of pop to colonists or colonists to troopers.

You could even go one further and pop could riot and stop the dismantling of all useful buildings!

This way the victors of a planetary invasion will still gain something and it might go some way to stopping cries of "foul play".

I will admit that I am no where near developing gate technology so apologies if I have overlooked some of the game mechanics already involved, but let me know what you think.

Actually I was thinking that population shouldn't be allowed to gate at all. Just non-living items (perhaps allow divisions). Someone could still strip all the materials off the world leaving no industry etc. making it much less valuable and yielding tremendous loot, but the population would remain behind and perhaps some day be liberated in the case of a captured planet. Colonize the old fashioned way with ships.

As pop is the most valueable resource, a world with "only" pop would be still a great prize.

I would depend the "refusal factor" on the Government. If it is more leaning a dictatorship, the individuals have no say and get herded

through the gate, while more democratic Goverments might see some refusals.

As pop is the most valueable resource, a world with "only" pop would be still a great prize.

I would depend the "refusal factor" on the Government. If it is more leaning a dictatorship, the individuals have no say and get herded

I agree the pop is very valuable. Which then makes it worth something to fight over.

My suggestion was that gating kills colonists. Yes, a pure evil conqueror could then use the gate as a genocide machine assuming an entire planet in all out riot could be controlled, but he could in theory also use bullets which isn't supported in the game, I assume for game play reasons.

I agree the pop is very valuable. Which then makes it worth something to fight over.

My suggestion was that gating kills colonists. Yes, a pure evil conqueror could then use the gate as a genocide machine assuming an entire planet in all out riot could be controlled, but he could in theory also use bullets which isn't supported in the game, I assume for game play reasons.

Well you want to be able to gate pop. It is for your colonies. And the higher level gate tech seems to reduce the tranfer over reasonable distances to 0% ( PGs are down to that level with Mk III ).

I agree, that genocide by gating through a 100% loss gate should not be allowed, but gating with, say 30% to an Aplha site should be allowed.

Naturally , one could build a system of gates ( sound familiar? ) to reduce the losses greatly over distances . It would require you to put colonies down on a greater assortment of worlds , and then draw resources to defend the territory , but definitely a viable option to transport pop from that newly conquered HW to you own HW , albeit over the course of several turns with acceptable loss numbers....wow , think of the orders that will cost over say 20 turns......

Gates are for pop too, so anything contrary to that is a non-starter.

My thought is for some sort of devices that could be incorporated into a ship like a gate field dampener that would prevent gates working under the field. So, you roll in with your mega fleet, clear the skies and establish a no gate zone or perhaps only a no Universal Gate zone or something. Then the pop and the spoils can't leave. Even if the Dampener only lowered the transfer capabilility by 40-50% it would take twice as long to move off all the stuff.

But if nothing changes you will always know that losing 10% of a HW pop is going to hurt, especially if it was a consolidated HW with millions of pop.

I can live with the idea of just continuing to force people from one planet to another. It will just take longer to completely get rid of an enemy, but it will make the game more interesting and that is a good thing.

I need a point of clarification.

PSG are now limited to MK III.

Are UG's also limited to MK III or are they still going to go up to MK VI?

The Planetary Cargo Gates are going to be stopping at Mk III - Universal Gates will still be going up to Mk VI as planned.

Russ

Hi Russ,

Just an FYI - the Mk IV Personnel Transporters are still appearing the new tech list. Are those terminating at Mk III too, or only the PCGs are terminating there?

-LX

One of the 'problems' as I see it, is that when you take pop off a planet, it now becomes the same as the pop taking it. If the population were to retain its original 'status' if you will (that is, not converted to the new race), it 'might' be less enticing to remove the population.

Unless your goal is genocide, then this doesn't matter, however, making millions of aliens march off to their deaths, doesn't make sense to those doing the marching.

Now, that having been said, game mechanics dictate otherwise?

ps, I'm still ticked cloaked ships will never be implemented. :ranting:

I need a point of clarification.

PSG are now limited to MK III.

Are UG's also limited to MK III or are they still going to go up to MK VI?

The Planetary Cargo Gates are going to be stopping at Mk III - Universal Gates will still be going up to Mk VI as planned.

Russ

Hi Russ,

Just an FYI - the Mk IV Personnel Transporters are still appearing the new tech list. Are those terminating at Mk III too, or only the PCGs are terminating there?

-LX

As I understood, the Personnel Transporter line does not end at Mk III. The Mk III Planetary Cargo Gate is the limit and Mk IV existed, but should now be out of the system.