Rolling Thunder Forums

VISTA

Zarkon

Need some help here; I cannot use VICMAN or VICENTRY with my new computer with VISTA. How do I get around this issue? I am getting the following error message: the version of this file is not compatible with the version of windows you're running. Check your computer's system information to see whether you need an x86 (32-bit) or x64 (64-bit) version of the program, and then contact the software publisher

Zarkon

see the tech support section. A new version is in the works, you may be able to get a copy.

I was shown a way on my machine, but have yet to replicate it.

Put the DOS Box on your desktop, then drag/drop the VICMAN into the dos box and it will open.

Pete

Need some help here; I cannot use VICMAN or VICENTRY with my new computer with VISTA. How do I get around this issue? I am getting the following error message: the version of this file is not compatible with the version of windows you're running. Check your computer's system information to see whether you need an x86 (32-bit) or x64 (64-bit) version of the program, and then contact the software publisher

Zarkon

Hi Pete,

Sorry to be a pain, but whoat is a "DOS Box" and how do I get it on my desktop?

see the tech support section. A new version is in the works, you may be able to get a copy.

Put the DOS Box on your desktop, then drag/drop the VICMAN into the dos box and it will open.

Pete

Zarkon

I have both VICMAN and VICENTRY working mostly reliably in Vista Business Ultimate.

The way I got them to work was:

Go to the executable file for the application by browsing to it. VICMAN.EXE and VICENTRY.EXE are the executables.

Right click the executable file and choose Properties, then choose the Compatability tab.

Click the first Checkbox called "Run this program in compatability mode for:" then click the drop down box below the checkbox and choose Windows 95.

Click Apply and OK.

This will create a startup configuration file for that application in the same folder the application executable file lives in.

When you start the configured Application, just double click the executable and it will load using the configuration file.

This has worked for a couple other people I know, and hasn't worked for a couple others. Hope it helps.

Race Pilsner

Hi Pete,

Pete

Zarkon

The "DOS Box" in Vista can be found at:

Start

All Programs

Accessories

Command Prompt

You can create a shortcut to it on your desktop by just dragging the icon from the Accessories Menu and dropping it on your desktop.On my laptop it didn't remove the original from the menu. Must know it's "special".

Race Pilsner

Don't be so sure it is VISTA-related. I recently moved to VISTA and had no problems running the applications for this game.

Jared

Hi Pete,

Pete

Zarkon

The "DOS Box" in Vista can be found at:

Start

All Programs

Accessories

Command Prompt

You can create a shortcut to it on your desktop by just dragging the icon from the Accessories Menu and dropping it on your desktop.On my laptop it didn't remove the original from the menu. Must know it's "special".

Race Pilsner

Concur, not a VISTA "per se" problem; I am running 64bit (whatever that means) and can't run the VIC programs because 64 bit is way too fast. Working on the Victory Order Entry Program

Thanks for the assists

It's actually an old Operating System vs. New Operating System issue. After Windows 95, Microsoft dropped the official support of DOS applications in their Operating Systems as a core mission. DOS applications did things like made calls directly to hardware, directly manipulated files and storage, etc. This was problematic for newer operating systems which made all such calls through Windows services instead, the goal being to 'abstract' the application from direct hardware interactions. This is why on both Windows XP and Windows Vista you see issues with VICMAN and VICENTRY. On my laptop they both work in Windows Vista quite well. They limped along till I set up a Windows 95 compatability for them then I almost never had an issue with them again. I think it's likely they will even work that way in 64 bit Vista, but I've never tried it.

Another friend has Windows XP Professional, and he cannot make VICMAN work in it no matter what. It's a roll of the dice proposition. Would be great to see the new turn entry program working in Vista. How's it coming Hamish?

Race Pilsner

Concur, not a VISTA "per se" problem; I am running 64bit (whatever that means) and can't run the VIC programs because 64 bit is way too fast. Working on the Victory Order Entry Program

Thanks for the assists

It's actually an old Operating System vs. New Operating System issue. After Windows 95, Microsoft dropped the official support of DOS applications in their Operating Systems as a core mission. DOS applications did things like made calls directly to hardware, directly manipulated files and storage, etc. This was problematic for newer operating systems which made all such calls through Windows services instead, the goal being to 'abstract' the application from direct hardware interactions. This is why on both Windows XP and Windows Vista you see issues with VICMAN and VICENTRY. On my laptop they both work in Windows Vista quite well. They limped along till I set up a Windows 95 compatability for them then I almost never had an issue with them again. I think it's likely they will even work that way in 64 bit Vista, but I've never tried it.

Another friend has Windows XP Professional, and he cannot make VICMAN work in it no matter what. It's a roll of the dice proposition. Would be great to see the new turn entry program working in Vista. How's it coming Hamish?

Race Pilsner

It's almost done, but real life is very busy at the moment.

Thanks for the assists

Race Pilsner

It's almost done, but real life is very busy at the moment.

You are the man Hamish! And cool avatar too!

Race Pilsner