Rolling Thunder Forums

GATK

Gary Carpenter

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Troop shuttles? I thought they were for capturing ships in space. "No real use for..." - Damn! (Yet another theory shot full of holes).

:cheers: LOL That was what I once thought tractor beams and magnetic grapples could be used for and Pete alluded it could be done but all these years and about a kazillion battles later, I HAVE NEVER CAPTURED ANOTHER SHIP. They could be unarmed, almost shot to pieces etc etc but no, never.

/Locklyn

Troop shuttles? I thought they were for capturing ships in space. "No real use for..." - Damn! (Yet another theory shot full of holes).

Good one :cheers:

What troop shuttles are really for is the same thing as personal shuttles, you can shuttle troop to any planet you have surveyed a path, and many planets you just heard about on TV, or while staying at a holiday inn.

So you just need a new order (Establish Beachhad) that creates a pop group, lands divisions and forms an army out of this divisions within 1 pulse.

Years ago, when I played Legends, you had a pool of floating Pop Segments that you could assign to a force as needed.

So, putting that in Supernova terms, rather than creating a Pop Group and waiting until next turn to get the randomly assigned number, you could plant a known number down on the planet eg COLB 999 123456 and use it right away.

Of course, that would change the dynamics of the game, not to mention a bunch of code. Maybe something to consider for Supernova III.

:cheers: LOL That was what I once thought tractor beams and magnetic grapples could be used for and Pete alluded it could be done but all these years and about a kazillion battles later, I HAVE NEVER CAPTURED ANOTHER SHIP. They could be unarmed, almost shot to pieces etc etc but no, never.

/Locklyn

But, ironically, whole divisions of alien troops are easy to capture. :ranting:

So you just need a new order (Establish Beachhad) that creates a pop group, lands divisions and forms an army out of this divisions within 1 pulse.

Years ago, when I played Legends, you had a pool of floating Pop Segments that you could assign to a force as needed.

So, putting that in Supernova terms, rather than creating a Pop Group and waiting until next turn to get the randomly assigned number, you could plant a known number down on the planet eg COLB 999 123456 and use it right away.

Of course, that would change the dynamics of the game, not to mention a bunch of code. Maybe something to consider for Supernova III.

I played a lot of legends games from midnight games