Gixxer

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The General reports:

"The other pathfinder will defeat his and will most likely lose this

Engagement. Hope that clears it up a bit"

That is exactly my concern. Would not all agree that the battle described (all other things being equal such as racial charteristics etc..) should be a 50/50 proposition but it is not because how you classify your ship could put you in a poor DEPLOC for your choosen weapon type?

Why are single ship actions done with both ships starting in DEPLOC 1????

I think it is a good thing that its not just a straight number crunch, strategy has its part to play, the commander who maximises the potential of his ships configuration (even in a 1 to 1 battle) should win.

The captain of the pathfinder who realised that he's better getting in close to fire should prevail against the cautionary captain who's ship isn't designed really for a stand off fight.

I think it is important to consider this in the larger context, a 1 to 1 ship engagement will most of the time be between ships of different configurations, if I send in a ship with fighters I want it to hold back and maximise its defence capabilities, if I have a ship with point blank weapons and I don't order it to close in to maximise its damage potential then I should be penalised.

It adds a good dimension to the combat system which makes it more then just a number crunch, a well deployed smaller force could destroy a large badly deployed force :)

As an additional note it also influences your ship design; if you are planning to have your ship in the front row it may need more defences as its gains no defence bonus however with its weapon at full power you may not need as many weapon systems and vice versa

This means that even if two ships of similar tech level and size fight each other because of there configuration and deployment location the outcome will go to the one who has designed and deployed there ship best.

• 1 month later...

I am starting to build my first orbital station to defend a home world warp point.

Can I hear some thoughts and commentary on weather I need to add Short or Long range sesors for my installation? I gather they only defend againdst Mines but is a mine even effective against a non-moving target like a orbital installation? By definiton the installation does not move so therefore it can't hit a Mine.

Conversely should I even add mine racks to a assualt ship likely to engage with an orbital installion?

Mines would work against a surface fort and an orbital station just as they would against a moving ship. Engines (maneuverability) work as a specific defense against missiles, drones, and fighters but not mines.

Something similar is that you can put surface forts in slot 1 and have them act as screens even though your ships in slot 2 and back are in orbit.

Not all of this always makes sense on a tactical level, but Pete has always said that the combat model (and the game in general) is supposed to be more on a strategic level.

Myself, I wouldn't waste tonnage by putting sensors on an orbital station - unless you are defending against an enemy that is know to use a lot of mine weapon systems.

I am starting to build my first orbital station to defend a home world warp point.

Can I hear some thoughts and commentary on weather I need to add Short or Long range sesors for my installation? I gather they only defend againdst Mines but is a mine even effective against a non-moving target like a orbital installation? By definiton the installation does not move so therefore it can't hit a Mine.

Conversely should I even add mine racks to a assualt ship likely to engage with an orbital installion?

I think its best to think of Mines as objects you are going to throw into the path of ships or towards orbital and fortresses then items you are going to lay out in a nice grid pattern and wait for the enemy to wander through them :)

In some ways that makes more sense as space is pretty big so a minefield will have to be really big to be effective, also any slight momentum in space is going to produce movement, even just dropping a mine into space is going to produce momentum, it would be a nightmare to do.

As El Capitan mentions the weapon systems don't always make 100% sense on the tactical level, I think the point is to have variety of weapons which have a variety of optimal deployment locations with a variety of counters.

Hope that helps.

I have a ship Design Worksheet authored by Brad Atkins in 2002. I have been adding new weapons and defenses systems as I discover them and find the process time consuming and dull. Does anyone have a similar worksheet they could share with me?

Does anyone have a link to a clean copy of Mr. Atkins work as I have messed up some cells and need the orginal to correct my work? I would prefer another program if one excists however.

• 4 weeks later...

What can anyone tell me about "Mass Destruction Devices". These are various bombs and devices I have found that do not seam like ship to ship weapons based on the ANZ results. THey almost appear to be ship to ground weapons or are they something I assign to armies for ground combat? How and why are these weapons used?

An ally of mine used a BOMB order a while back (since the Zraaknod were purely peaceful, they'd never dream of such a thing) and verified it's worthless. Thousands upon thousands of WMDs killed one or two pop and a couple installations. Easier to just land troops, especially since the collateral damage is lessened that way.