Rolling Thunder Forums

Increasing IMDL

Hamish

Another rules question that I've never tried, but it caught my attention now that I'm building another new order entry program.

What happens if I have a city with 3 Population and ADL 4 and I issue the BDL IMDL order? Is it going to fail, or make it an IMDL 1, ADL 0 city?

Another rules question that I've never tried, but it caught my attention now that I'm building another new order entry program.

What happens if I have a city with 3 Population and ADL 4 and I issue the BDL IMDL order? Is it going to fail, or make it an IMDL 1, ADL 0 city?

The order would fail. The ADL of a city will adjust downward when IMDL is increased but it can only go down by one level at a time so if you have a city with 0 IMDL and 4 ADL and wish to increase the IMDL to 1 you would need enough POP to support an IMDL of 1 (Pop req = 3) and an ADL of 3 (Pop req = 3) or 6 POP total.

When your POP level gets to 7 you could support the next IMDL increase (IMDL 2 requires 5 POP, ADL 2 requires 2 POP). 8 POP would let you go to IMDL 3, ADL 1 then 10 POP would let you complete the conversion to fully industrial city at IMDL 4, ADL 0.

Hope that helps,

Russ :alien2:

The order would fail. The ADL of a city will adjust downward when IMDL is increased but it can only go down by one level at a time so if you have a city with 0 IMDL and 4 ADL and wish to increase the IMDL to 1 you would need enough POP to support an IMDL of 1 (Pop req = 3) and an ADL of 3 (Pop req = 3) or 6 POP total.

When your POP level gets to 7 you could support the next IMDL increase (IMDL 2 requires 5 POP, ADL 2 requires 2 POP). 8 POP would let you go to IMDL 3, ADL 1 then 10 POP would let you complete the conversion to fully industrial city at IMDL 4, ADL 0.

Hope that helps,

I have a feeling this is not always true. I'll try this turn, with a city that should be able to go up 1 in IMDL and down 1 in ADL. I'll contact you when it happens. Some turns ago, I think I saw it, and ignored it, as it was just a small city, but like I said, I'll try again this turn.

Hope that helps,

Ah right - I was incorrect in that earlier response....Doh! :taz: I remember this coming up before now and the trick is that the ADL will adjust downward, and it is limited to no more than one level per turn but that the downward adjustment only kicks in when the IMDL and ADL of the city total 10 (and something has to give for the IMDL to be raised further).

So - a city that is IMDL 4, ADL 6 (pop req of 14) could go to IMDL 5, ADL 5 (at Pop level 19). The city that was ADL 4 (pop req of 3) would need to have 6 POP to raise it's IMDL - it would go to an IMDL 1, ADL 4 city. Once the city was developed to IMDL 6, ADL 4 then the ADL would start adjusting downward as future IMDL increases were made.

Thanks for keeping me on my toes :ph34r:

Russ