Rolling Thunder Forums

game 93

gecko

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone have experience running the VOEP on Windows 8 RT?  I'm trying to load the VOEP on a new Windows 8 tablet and the system says it can't run the program,  ANy suggestions?

Windows RT is not Windows and will not run normal Windows programs.

Well, technically it *is* Windows (same Microsoft source code base), but it's compiled for an ARM processor. Which is the standard processor of choice for any mobile gadget that's smarter than a wrist watch.As such, the only (app) code it can run is ARM based code, or stuff that's interpreted at run time (such as Java).The Victory order entry programs are all compiled for x86 (meaning an Intel 8086 or derivative processor), and thus can't run on a different type of CPU without some sort of emulation. And that's something Microsoft has not included in it's ARM based Windows-RT operating system. It's not that they could not do this (technically, it's possible), but they chose not to, in order to force any user wanting more apps than out-of-the-box present to go through the Microsoft APP store, and collect the 30% off the sale of each copy. ;)

Anyone have experience running the VOEP on Windows 8 RT? I'm trying to load the VOEP on a new Windows 8 tablet and the system says it can't run the program, ANy suggestions?

Windows RT is not Windows and will not run normal Windows programs.

Well, technically it *is* Windows (same Microsoft source code base), but it's compiled for an ARM processor. Which is the standard processor of choice for any mobile gadget that's smarter than a wrist watch.As such, the only (app) code it can run is ARM based code, or stuff that's interpreted at run time (such as Java).The Victory order entry programs are all compiled for x86 (meaning an Intel 8086 or derivative processor), and thus can't run on a different type of CPU without some sort of emulation. And that's something Microsoft has not included in it's ARM based Windows-RT operating system. It's not that they could not do this (technically, it's possible), but they chose not to, in order to force any user wanting more apps than out-of-the-box present to go through the Microsoft APP store, and collect the 30% off the sale of each copy. ;)

I think my answer is easier and amounts to the same thing.... :-)

Ohhh Hamburgers!

The swatting newspaper has arrived and it turns out to be Italian :python:

Los Angeles is the swatting capital of the world. Oh, wait...that's SWATting.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I check in once in a blue moon.

I've had my hands full keeping the rest of the world in the running for Victory, holding off the Russian/Nordic Bloc Horde.

You can thank me any time! :)