Rolling Thunder Forums

Naval Combat

General Miles Avatar

Here is a combat situation I would like to pose to see what everyone thinks is the correct outcome.

20 1 billion ton assault carriers each with 400000 Balrog gunboats are attacking across an E Class

warp point with a size of 7. The warp bubble size of the Carriers is 100. On the other side are

4 6 billion ton Flag Nova Dreadnaught with (gasp) no CIDS or ability to shoot down the gunboats

but they do have a FC of 20 and each one has 1 trillion in fusion firepower and each one has the

max 2 billion tons of Mk IX Force shields. They also have no defense vs plasma torpedo or coherent

beam but they do have 50 percent vs missile. The attacking carriers have no defenses vs fusion.

well here is my take. or rather what I was led to believe would happen.

The carriers would immediately launch all their gunboats which would jump the warp point and attack the dreadnaughts. They would then proceed to warp themselves and given that their warp bubbles are so much larger then the warp point size it would take some time to completely jump through. How much time??? who knows??? I do know that there are these things called

'battle pulses' sooooo I would hazard to assume that at least 1 carrier would jump through per battle pulse in which time there would be fire and counter-fire from both sides. The quad-zillion dollar question is will the gunboats finish off the dreadnaughts

before all the carriers traverse the warp point or will the dreadnaughts be able to fire through the warp point at the carriers

which happen to be at deploc 20000 waiting to warp through. if the dreadnaughts do fire at the carriers like I have seen in actual

combat then it is VERY possible that they will kill the carriers before they all jump through.

Here is a combat situation I would like to pose to see what everyone thinks is the correct outcome.

20 1 billion ton assault carriers each with 400000 Balrog gunboats are attacking across an E Class

warp point with a size of 7. The warp bubble size of the Carriers is 100. On the other side are

4 6 billion ton Flag Nova Dreadnaught with (gasp) no CIDS or ability to shoot down the gunboats

but they do have a FC of 20 and each one has 1 trillion in fusion firepower and each one has the

max 2 billion tons of Mk IX Force shields. They also have no defense vs plasma torpedo or coherent

beam but they do have 50 percent vs missile. The attacking carriers have no defenses vs fusion.

If (and that's a big IF) I understand correctly, your carriers would take 20 pulses to jump through since their bubble is larger than the WP, thus making them one at a time get the entire enemies firepower each pulse (i.e. carriers vaporize the moment they warp in). Your gunboats would all attack from pulse 1 until the last carrier was destroyed. Outcome?? Not enough information to tell, but can tell you that 2 Billion tons of Mk IX Force Shields is not even close to the max you can put on a ship

Point taken let me rephrase. Each FND has 2 billion tons

Of max shielding. As info the balrogs have

96000 coherent beam 144000 plasma torp and missile

Firepower. My point is that the dreadaughts

Have enough fp to kill all the carriers in 1

Combat round but the balrogs will cut up the

Dn's in about 10. The result however is very much

In doubt as we don't really know how many

Combat rounds it would take for the cva's to jump

• 2 weeks later...

In my opinion and based upon what has been stated, inferred, suggested and such since the game began, the defenders of the WP should not be able to fire through the WP at the invading ships. They should only be able to fire upon them as they arrive on the battle side of the bubble. In the mean time, the mass of fighters should be taking it's toll on the defenders.

btw - missile defense should have no effect on fighters with damage vectors other than missile. So the Balrogs should have all Plasma torp and coherent beam damage come through without a problem. If the defenders had CIDS then they should kill off fighters but should not mitigate the incoming damage that is not of the missile variety.

If this does not happen I would really like to see the explanation as to why something else should occur.

Dramatic differences between expected and actual outcomes would bring into question the battle routines and the sketchy information that has been handed down from day one.

We will be conducting more test battles with known variables

To determine the outcome of this very scenario

On a smaller scale of course and will post the results

Btw we survived superstorm sandy with minimal

Damage but power is still out. Might be out for quite

Some time