Rolling Thunder Forums

game 97

gecko

• Replies 418
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The vote is on. And my vote was "Yes". But remeber that there are a few "passive" positions in this game that only continue to play for Espionnage and that some nations that are in deeper trouble than ten turns ago.

So a "No" is perfectly acceptible by me.

Played positions that I am aware of include the following:

Y: Italy
?: Greece
?: Turkey

?: Baltic States
?: Norway
?: Switzerland
?: Denmark
?: Germany
?: Libya
?: Turkey
?: Tunisia
?: Central Russia

?: Northern Russia
Y: Iraq
Y: Transjordan
?: Morocco
?: Portugal
?: Norway
?: Iceland
?: Denmark
?: Baltic States
?: France
Y: Spain
Y: Syria

Three groups left all fighting each other I think that will all be yes

I would have an issue with a country like Spain giving a no vote. Pretty sure that player just moved to turkey, yet Spain is still running turns. Always felt running dead turns was taking advantage of game mechanics anyway. Wouldn't have a problem if the original player did it for the whole game but Spain is on its 3rd or 4th player. I just feel that situation allows other players to pay for the position tell the current player what Intel to do so essentially one player is playing two positions.

Hopefully the game will continue the board is pretty evenly matched which is rare. Also would be fun playing with the better tech longer than usual.

Let's all keep in mind as well that new Vic games are down to starting only once a year now and there's no guarantee you would get in!!

Iraq votes yes as will my ta's

Good luck everyone!!!

Actually Spain is still on it's original player - me. I got run over early and have still put in the occasional turn for espionage purposes, but I've always done the turns and have always paid for the turns myself. I started as part of a group and continued to support the group in the capacity I was able to. That said, if the larger group of players has a problem with a player continuing to support his TAs once his position is no longer viable, we can discuss that separately.

I votes "Yes" BTW

Brian

Spain 97

Tunisia voted yes.

Brian

I like to see players play to the end. Tell your allies they need to cede you a province with production so you will have some units to move around. I got booted out of Baltic states but had conquered Copenhagen and Odense in Denmark. My ta Germany protected my position and when he eventually attacked central Russia I was able to retake my country.

Several things have happened that make me unwilling to continue this game any longer. First of all, there has been a dramatic change in the Lowlands area. Denmark has been severely weakened, which changes the power landscape in the northwest. CR losing 4 armies doesn't help much. But also the deal between CR and Iraq changes the powerplay, with the ME block being able to fully commit to a war against the Greek team, which is no fun in both short and long run. Maybe CR can't handle an invasion of Iraqi armies, but I'm sure that the blow to the Balkan will be even greater.

Iraq can more than fill the void by a weakened Denmark and the loss of a few Russian armies.

Greece has been swimming against the tide the whole game and needed Turkish influence in the Balkans to survive. This has made him a weak country as he has only been able to expand in yugo and maybe Sofia while turkey conquered Rumania and Bulgaria.

My point being you can't have a totally balanced map to continue the weaker countries have to go at some point. So you guys lose Greece the Russians lose Denmark. You guys picked up Morocco-Iceland-and all of North America as well as Greece and turkey to secure the Balkans.

The Russians picked up Hungary (now long dead) and Denmark (almost dead)

I really fail to see how Iraq not joining in your specific war in the near future throws things so out of a "playable" game.

Iraq would've thrown the game way more out of whack attacking Russia yet you guys were fine with that-you pushed for it the whole game

What says Greece? I'm sure he is onboard since his ally Spain voted yes and he just runs Intel turns!

I'm not Greece, I don't have anything to do with him. Just saying that the hard fighting you have been doing in Turkey and Libya has been due to the deal between the Balkan and CR, which means Greece could divert his attention to that area. With Iraq making a deal with CR to allow his troops passage, the Balkan is left unprotected and I'm certain that they'll have less troops in that area then CR could have had in the Dnepr area to fight Iraq. Once you arrive in the Balkan, that will change the map completely.

Seams the same argument could be made in Africa/Europe. Libya would have been eliminated 10 turns ago if not for morocco intervention. When Greece started supporting him more because he didn't have to worry about the Balkans, it freed up morocco to support Europe more which definitely helped the west in there fight with the Russians. I have no idea who has a edge or not that's why I think continuing the game would be fun. I do not know the situation in Europe or if the rest of falco's allies believe they have a hopeless position or not. Things change all the time that's why we have upsets in sports.

There is also the whole tech aspect and it is more fun to play victory in the later stages of the game than the early stages even for Russian units. So unless I thought there was no chance to survive I would rather continue a game than start a new one.

Does anyone else know of a no vote. Considering the cooperation that already exists with the Balkan and west as well as the Russian and Mideast perhaps Spain could take over for Portugal.

Sorry, been away. Iraq moving through CR is obviously a blow, but we are committed to continuing the game. I will fight them however they get there. If they had to try and cross the pond, it would have been virtually impossible with my naval and air power, but I am not fool enough to believe I can match their armies. We shall see.