Rolling Thunder Forums

Few Questions on Game Mechanics

Grand Inquisitor

Hello,

Few questions i've been thinking about:

1) Can i create a starbase at a world and pull it to a worm hole somehow? I can't find any orders that you would use to do this though. What ship would i even use?

2) Are Light Magnetic Grapplings useful for anything? Exploration or maybe the question above.

3) Any way to gauge or see the reproduction rate of your population? i.e. how much pop you gain on a world each turn.

4) Is there any kind of # of engines to tonnage of a ship? The new galaxy can go down to 1 AP now, so how many nuclear engines to tonnage to get it at 2 or even 3 AP?

5) Will there be a need to feed the population at all in the future? Because at the moment they appear to be autonomous robots without the need to feed.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Orbitals are towed to a WP or another orbit using ships with tractors or magnetic grapples. They have ratings so you just assign the orbital to the same fleet and then move and RN the orbital out to it's new fleet. You can't tow through a WP.

Growth rate is on your turn. Each pop group with enough pop will grow and perhaps die each turn.

Engines are based on tonnage, so you read the description and do the math.

Starting engines will give you 4 AP if your ship was all engines. It only goes up from there.

Population do not need to be fed. They take care of them selves.

I've never seen on my turn where it shows the growth rate. Which section is it under?

Edit: I searched the PDF and found it. I'm amazed I never saw that before.

For the engine do I need to do an ANZ on it then? The only description shown I saw on the RTD.

Mk I Nuclear Engine: The Mk I Nuclear Engine is a first generation, nuclear-powered maneuver drive. It is a

self-contained 100-ton unit, is self-sustaining and requires no external power source.

To achieve superior maneuverability, simply add more engines to your design.

Maneuverability aids in the ability of your ships to avoid certain types of enemy

weapons, and provides additional Action Points for your ships to use during civilian

operations. (100 tons) 200 Steel - 100 Electronics - 100 Synthetic Materials - 100

Processed Radioactives

For the engine do I need to do an ANZ on it then? The only description shown I saw on the RTD.

Mk I Nuclear Engine: The Mk I Nuclear Engine is a first generation, nuclear-powered maneuver drive. It is a

self-contained 100-ton unit, is self-sustaining and requires no external power source.

To achieve superior maneuverability, simply add more engines to your design.

Maneuverability aids in the ability of your ships to avoid certain types of enemy

weapons, and provides additional Action Points for your ships to use during civilian

operations. (100 tons) 200 Steel - 100 Electronics - 100 Synthetic Materials - 100

Processed Radioactives

To expand on this question how do i ever determine how much i need for other things too? Such as how many grapplings i need to tug a station with X tonnage? Does the ANZ order show this information or is it one of those trial and error things?

In my experience the RTD info is lacking. It would be nice if it provided the ANZ info, but it doesn't. So, you should plan on doing and ANZ on anything you care about. For engines, it might be better to just wait for the Mk II version. Other than some 1 AP freighters to get you going, you will almost never use them once you get the Mk II or higher versions.

Most of the time you will ANZ any new tech just to see what it is before devoting research towards it. but some just like to be surprised.. :)

Tractor stuff has ratings like this one from Andromeda - As you can see it has a tractor rating. So, one of these in a fleet would let you tow up to 7000 tons of orbitals. If you want to tow more you add more grapples. Higher tech should let you tow more and different tech has different sorts of ratings.

Enjoy :)

Medium Magnetic Grapple: Magnetic Grapples are short-ranged "hooks" created ethereally by a magnetic field. The
idea is to attach the grapple to something with a ferrous composition and depending on the field polarity, push or pull the object. This effect can be useful as an effective weapon as accuracy is extremely high, and occassionaly has other uses in general space exploration. (700 tons) 1,400 Electronics - 700 Rare Elements - 700 Steel - 700
Synthetic Materials
Classification: Tug
Range: Point Blank
Tractor Strength: 7000
Structural Integrity: 700
Prerequisite Technologies: Light Magnetic Grapple
Gravitonic Strength: Fair [3080]

A starbase gets structural bonus of 3X the underlying armor value because it is assumed to have more internal reinforcing that would not be allowed in a ship that moves.

A Planetary base is even better, with an astounding 12x structural bonus! That would be the mountains and the yards of concrete built over this stationary beast.