Rolling Thunder Forums

Returning Player Questions for Draco

richardjohns

What about the SCM stat? Is that a factor at all or has it been bumped up to be more effective like GCM?

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That’s a mystery BUT it does seem to have some bearing on the FC bonus from that races naval leaders. I have noticed that all things  being equal the FC rating of a high intel race with a like level naval leader is quite a bit higher then that of a race like mine who has just average intel. 

10 hours ago, Jemanari Public Relations said:

Actually with no gates in Draco sooner or later the high RB race will overcome the ground pounder if they make it into orbit of the ground pounders HW and hold it. While the ground pounder will be able to make some new divisions each turn, they lose access to all the offworld resources. The high RB race will still retain access to offworld resources and can produce an ever growing number of divisions that at some point will be able to overcome the ground pounder.

Fortunately SuperNova highly leans towards the defender and a ground pounder worth his salt won’t let an enemy into his home system in the first place. 

The ground pounder/ colonizer will have already developed his home system to a very high degree enabling a truly impressive ability to load up the WP with all kinds of orbitals and gen 3 or even gen 4 weapons by the time the High RB race gets there with his invasion fleet. The High RB race would need to more then match the colonizers production ability and THAT would be somewhat difficult for him. 

There are some weapons that can mimic weapons of much higher generation  levels and this too would be a factor if hundreds of thousands of them can be deployed which is within the ability of the colonizer but not so much the HIgh RB race. 

After opining about how great the colonizers and ground pounders are on the ground and the difficulty the brains will have in that regard it is only fair that space combat is addressed.  With 15 different damage vectors and each vector with it's own defensive system it is the brain guys who have the distinct edge in space combat.  However, space combat is a complicated rock/paper/scissors game.  To be successful you strive to have weapons that are not well countered by the other side and be able to counter the other side's weapons.  The high RB should be able to have a wider breadth of systems to choose from and have more RC's to devote to defensive systems.

This should make them more nimble and able to avoid enemy defenses.  They should be able to have a bit more production, advanced industries, stripmines, industrial bonus etc., and this will counter some of the advantage the colonizers have in basic resource mining.  

:cheers:

You hit on an issue that the High RB race won’t be able to overcome easily as it’s not what they were designed to do. That being actually getting the resources from their colony worlds to their HW to get processed in those advanced IC’s. Sure they can use advanced stripmines but this negates to an extent their advantage of having high tech industry to begin with with the inherent inefficiencies. I think Pete has found a decent balance in Draco and will encourage players to form symbiotic relationships. 

• 1 month later...

I know others have whined about this issue before but I didn't pay attention at the time.

I just dropped 2000 colonists on a new colony on a Near Ideal Planet and 60 of them died from Attrition!  What gives????  3% losses!!

The CSV was:

image.png.00614a5e9a0c2386ae1523e739aeda2f.png

What can I do to stop this attrition or was it one time only thing???   Is the answer that the CSV did warn me about a slight losss of population over time?  Therefore I need some textile mills, cities, etc.....?

Take a breath.

Your racial design combined (certain research without facilities can decrease losses) determine whether it will be ongoing. Subterranean Installation construction gives that special bonus. For a uber it has only a minor impact and does not decrease the losses enough to remove the domed city. 

My race is a uber colonizer. I live on gas giants to freezing worlds and only need a domed city at most. 

I only have one world that had issues similar to yours i.e a special high loss world and that requires a domed city and I use immigration to deal with losses. However, I cannot land more colonist until I get higher tech items. All other worlds no matter what they say take at most a domed city if you are an uber. 

Ideal is needed for no losses on a consistent basis. Note that once you get to higher numbers of pop immigration facilities have a difficult time dealing with losses.

Build facilities and research things that reduce loses. 

For non uber races, I would give this advice...

I would start with the Domed City. Try not to use immigration to offset losses because of the immigration cap.  I would research better techs. I would remove the colonists if that does not work. 

P.S. You do not need anything beyond the Domed City to colonize a planet with all mines manned even if you are not an uber but that is another story.

13 hours ago, Landmine said:

I know others have whined about this issue before but I didn't pay attention at the time.

I just dropped 2000 colonists on a new colony on a Near Ideal Planet and 60 of them died from Attrition!  What gives????  3% losses!!

The CSV was:

image.png.00614a5e9a0c2386ae1523e739aeda2f.png

What can I do to stop this attrition or was it one time only thing???   Is the answer that the CSV did warn me about a slight losss of population over time?  Therefore I need some textile mills, cities, etc.....?

This is a very simple solution. You are nearly there at ideal but that TEMP is really off the scale.  You’re races attrition bonus which looks to be pretty good as evidenced by your lifeform(favorable) line isn’t quite good enough to overcome the temp problem. You will need a temp installation like a Thermal transfer center if it’s too cold or deep core heat sink if too hot. Hopefully the world has a decent geothermal or Hydroelectric potential to power each one efficiently and your off to the races.  Once you build one of these installations do another CSV and I would bet bottom galactic credit that it will be ideal. 

• 2 weeks later...

i remain confused.  I built some installations that reduce attrition but I get this:

39 population units perish in Population Group # YYYY on XXXXXs - 1 due to colonial attrition.

i have reduced attrition but POP is perishing.  Are there installations that stop perishing.  I only have installations that reduce attrition!  Can someone please pontificate on the differences between perishing and attrition!

18 hours ago, Landmine said:

i remain confused.  I built some installations that reduce attrition but I get this:

39 population units perish in Population Group # YYYY on XXXXXs - 1 due to colonial attrition.

i have reduced attrition but POP is perishing.  Are there installations that stop perishing.  I only have installations that reduce attrition!  Can someone please pontificate on the differences between perishing and attrition!

Is this the world you were nearly ideal on? If so did you build the correct temperature installation? and 3 did you remember to make sure it had enough power to run?  The deep core heat sink for example requires 25000 power to operate. 

You might have built it but if you didn’t power it, it’s just a nice big paperweight. ?