Rolling Thunder Forums

Deep Core Surveyors

Gixxer

INST: Deep Core Surveyor

Deep Core Surveyor: Deep Core Surveyors are deep tunneling units that search the core of a planet for
additional resources. They operate autonomously and may discover new veins of any of a
variety of valuable resources. Construction of multiple Deep Core Surveyors can be quite
useful, but the benefits of building more than one drop off in a nonlinear fashion. Deep
Core Surveyor are energy hogs, consuming an impressive 100,000 Power per turn.
Production requirements: 250,000 Advanced Construction Materials
Consumes: 100,000 Power
Requires: 3rd Generation Planetary Engineering as a prerequisite technology
Requires: 1st Generation Terraforming as a prerequisite technology

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Now up to 300 DCS on my HW,, iron and lumbar no longer a scarce resource :-) I'm producing 200k ICE-2 a turn now, and reducing my reliance on Raw Resources. Reading what people have posted here, I have had a change of direction with my colonies, and instead of trying to make each colony a self sufficient colony, I'm changing them to mining colonies to supply resources that aren't available on my HW. I dropped 500k ICE-2 on one of my colonies (not the Gas Giant) and got really good increases to around 9k yield on most resource types. That planet is now becoming a mining colony for a couple of resources I can't mine on my HW, further reducing my reliance on RR.  I've also stopped making Advanced Heavy Machinery, except for a few colonies that are really far away,, until I have enough colony ships to send to them :-)

I have a new question, I hope someone can help with, regarding temperature and attrition. If the temperature is outside the comfort zone, is it like an all or nothing attrition loss, or is it a gradient depending on how far out of the comfort zone you are? I'm asking because I have the situation on a few planets where the temperature is, say 150 degrees too hot, if I install the Deep Core Heatsink, it will only be 50 degrees too hot.(Can't remember exact numbers, but you get the idea) Is this worth doing, or does it make no difference to attrition?

Thanks in advance,

Gixxer

If you can build subterranean cities build them em along with whichever temperature installation you need for that world. Also if you can research species engineering to add a colonization bonus to your life form. Burning the candle at both ends gives best results with colonial attrition. 

Think of comfort zones, whether for temperature, attrition or other factors, like this:  during the comfort zone, attrition steadily increases at a slow, linear rate.  Once outside the comfort zone, each point of difference increases attrition by an amount that is greater than that suffered in the comfort zone--and it increases in a logarithmic fashion instead of being a straight-line, steady amount.

If the increase were steady forever, it would be the blue line in the chart below.  Sadly for colonists everywhere, that's not how it works  :wacko:

Instead, it's steady for a while (about half of the chart below) and then begins to curve upward fairly rapidly once outside the comfort zone.

If you are able to increase the comfort zone for something, that means that the bad curving-upward part doesn't start happening until later, which is a good thing.

image.png.f701088f93fb3e0e964459575a37b806.png

For Andromeda you should look for better planets to colonize.  There are plenty out there and with high AP fleets you can make short work of cargo transfers until you get gates and then it will matter even less.

If you still find it hard to colonize I  would suggest Species Engineering to make your lifeform better.  If you like asteroids you can also get planetcrackers which will turn the hot ones to something more useful.

In any event, ICE-X is your friend and it really only takes a few colonies to provide all you will need.

DCS growth seems to top out at 32k +/- , (maybe something to do with computer architecture?)

ICE-X seems to be unlimited until something really bad happens

:cheers:

• 5 months later...

Thanks for those answers., especially Pete's, which helped in figuring out how best to reduce colonial attrition!

Hobnob,  thanks, re colonising better planets: the problem I have there is that worlds which are easy for me to colonise have a problem with res, specifically they don't have lumber! In systems where I have colonies, I have to set up a mining colony on a higher attrition world that will let me mine lumber, and transport it to my main colony world in that system, that is what I'v been setting up for the last few months ? Some of the colonies I started a while back don't have any lumber producing worlds in system, and until I have increased my cargo carrying fleets substantially, those worlds are on the back burner for now, as the CM (and adv and impr CM) they can produce is limited.

Fremen, I have been building Subterranean Cities, (along with other attrition reducing installations) on some of my mining colonies, they work very well in bringing attrition down to zero, Your suggestion of using species engineering to improve colonisation bonuses is welcomed, too.

Nym, I have seen how effective ICE can be, having dropped several hundred thousand ICE-2 on a world in my home system. I've started exporting Rare Elements to some of my colonies, to build ICE there, I'm now in the process of building cargo ships to hold the ICE until I have good quantities to drop, and researching the next level of ICE, to reduce the chances of a catastrophe when I use it!

I now have 550 DCS ( just increased from building 20 per turn to 50 per turn) on my HW, and producing more res than I can use, apart from a couple of things, which I am importing from one of my mining colonies (the one I dropped the ICE-2 on). I have embarked on a massive (well massive for me, LOL) cargo ship building program, to allow importing of needed material to my HW and those colonies that I have paired with mining colonies, as well as exporting Rare Elements, Population,  and building materials to my colonies.

All in all, the economic changes are providing me with some interesting challenges each turn ?

Just think What Ice-4 will do for you if i remember right you can't go thur a warp point with ice you will millions of pieces of a ship then that way you need universal gates to do it :)) . I would start reducing your deep cores now if you are making to much it is nice to have very large stockpile of items 

23 minutes ago, Nym-2185 said:

Just think What Ice-4 will do for you if i remember right you can't go thur a warp point with ice you will millions of pieces of a ship then that way you need universal gates to do it :)) . I would start reducing your deep cores now if you are making to much it is nice to have very large stockpile of items 

You what with ICE? Missing some commas and periods. Are you infering that you were able to send ICE thru a player made wormhole(Wormhole Generator)? I have never bothered testing. What about Universal Gates?