Rolling Thunder Forums

Game 101

richardjohns

18 hours ago, Predator said:

Lol 

mauled Lowlands army as it was trying to run back home. That’s what you have to look forward to if you ever make it onto the continent

somehow I doubt that will happen.. is that because sheep balls are a delicacy in Britain and that leaves you lacking...??

You had over 2 to 1 odds, and you still bounced off of my tough mountain divisions? Nice try. Also, nice try for a propaganda spin, but it doesn't quite hold water. :-)

• Replies 703
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Kevin.C said:

You had over 2 to 1 odds, and you still bounced off of my tough mountain divisions? Nice try. Also, nice try for a propaganda spin, but it doesn't quite hold water. :-)

These aren’t the same mountain troops that made it all the way to Austria are they?????????????????

32 minutes ago, The Fremen said:

These aren’t the same mountain troops that made it all the way to Austria are they?????????????????

Yeppers! They were just on the way home for a well deserved vacation, and they had to swat away a much more numerous Italian armored army. Too bad all the Italians had were those piddling little M2A4s. Too bad for them, that is! :-)

OMG!! That’s incredible!! Only two explanations for that one.  Either extreme skill of the Dutch troops or incredibly incompetent leadership of the Italians and their allies. I’m leaning towards the latter although getting a mountain division army back home on foot from the Alps is one hell of a feat. :D

The problem with high defensive  morale is that you lose half your army????? Well if you had low defensive morale you would lose the whole army.  Which one is more desirable? Hmmmmm   Is there something I’m not getting?  

The fact that some will make it home is amazing. 

8 minutes ago, The Fremen said:

The problem with high defensive  morale is that you lose half your army????? Well if you had low defensive morale you would lose the whole army.  Which one is more desirable? Hmmmmm   Is there something I’m not getting?  

The fact that some will make it home is amazing. 

Predator is partly right. It all depends on what the defender's goal is. If it's to hold his position, you want a very high defensive morale. If you just want to retreat, you want a low defensive morale. But that's what the Withdrawal Defense is for.

In other words, if my defensive morale would've been lower, I would've lost fewer troops and retreated. But that was not necessarily my goal.

5 minutes ago, Kevin.C said:

Predator is partly right. It all depends on what the defender's goal is. If it's to hold his position, you want a very high defensive morale. If you just want to retreat, you want a low defensive morale. But that's what the Withdrawal Defense is for.

In other words, if my defensive morale would've been lower, I would've lost fewer troops and retreated. But that was not necessarily my goal.

Ahhh now that makes sense:cheers:

The proper tactic here would’ve been to be on withdraw and change your retreat location to Bonn or lux. You take minimal losses in the battle and essentially gain an extra turn of movement defensively by retreating to Bonn or lux getting your army one province closer to home without actually running a turn.

That’s good to know. That part about setting a retreat loacation was not known to me until I read the rules update Russ sent me. Maybe I should have read the whole thing. At the time I was just interested in the special rails across certain areas that looked to be Islands 

Ya if you know your going to be attacked(which lowlands could correctly assume as he had Denmark recon my army at Nancy) and your trying to get your army home it’s a good way to steal a movement for your army without running a turn as well as only taking minimal losses

he chose to stand and fight with an army at 60%. Well with a 56% defensive morale that army held its ground but lost 50% across the board while I only lost 15-17%.

dmog order can change your retreat location after an attack. Just be careful where your retreating to if you use the withdrawal tactic as your enemy can possibly take your retreat location first

6 hours ago, Predator said:

The proper tactic here would’ve been to be on withdraw and change your retreat location to Bonn or lux. You take minimal losses in the battle and essentially gain an extra turn of movement defensively by retreating to Bonn or lux getting your army one province closer to home without actually running a turn.

You're probably right.

• 2 weeks later...

Ora li abbiamo!!! Shouted the commander of the Italian armored column. 
For the better part of a month they had been hot on the heels of a retreating Dutch army and now after so many weeks their quarry was in sight. He felt admiration for the Dutch commander who had so skillfully marched his army on foot back home after being forced to due to the collapse of his French, German and Swiss allies. But now all he felt was the rush of impending victory. 

Unfortunately for the Italians it was not a good day to die for the Dutch. So close to home the Dutch army put up fanatical resistance in the face of overwhelming armored firepower. They lacked the heavy weapons needed to destroy tanks but one enterprising Lt. ordered his regiment to remove their socks fill them with explosives and cover them with grease. These ‘sticky bombs’ as the Dutch soldiers called them proved decisive in halting and then turning back the Italian attack. 

All was not as it seemed however. The Dutch commander was actually under orders to delay the Italian column by any means necessary and he was hell bent on doing so. Having succeeded it was the commander of the Dutch armored column, which arrived like the Calvary, who shouted” We have them now!!!”  

The Dutch column smashed into the right flank of the Italian army and cut through them like a hot knife through butter inflicting very heavy casualties. The Italian commander ordered a general retreat and victory belonged to the Dutch..... for the moment. :)