Rolling Thunder Forums

Exploration

Isemann2

Have been running around trying to scan these Warp Points to find a system with Planets in it  3 System and three No Planets results.

How many Mk 1 JSS are required with a level 4 Scientist to scan a Type E Warp Point?  Mk 2 JSS?

You'll want to research Mk II and Mk III Jump Survey Sensor tech to make your life easier when it comes to punching through harder warp points.  Mk I's just aren't powerful enough to reliably get through E's even with legendary leader assistance.  Also, explorer leaders are much better than scientists for SURV missions, though scientists do help.  You can also use both an explorer and a scientist, or even your Emperor.  Finally, you can build more than one JSS onto a ship (or simply have additional ships in the fleet with more)--that helps, though it is not a linear rise in SURV strength.

Your best bet for sure is to research Mk II and eventually Mk III JSS tech.  The increase in SURV strength is substantial.

I was just wondering considering I just got my first Explorer finally and using a lvl 4 scientist at the moment,  I currently have 6 with 2 additional ship next turn hopefully for total of 16 Mk 2 JSS.  Wondering if that will punch thru the 3 Type D's and 3 type E's that i am currently dealing with.

I'm kinda just in a desert at the moment with systems with no planets to deal with. 

I would make sure your removing your leaders before you jump. I have lots of explorers and scientists in Draco however fighting has lost me some nice ones. I killed a legendary explorer of my enemy as he tried to scan the warp point to my home system. I lost two high level leaders to the DMX as well. Now I am more careful. I use 33 mark II on my main ship with two high level leaders to break a G. I use one Mk II with leaders to break an E. 

On 8/31/2017 at 5:41 PM, RTGPete said:

Also, explorer leaders are much better than scientists for SURV missions, though scientists do help.  You can also use both an explorer and a scientist, or even your Emperor. 

Pete could you please elaborate?   An Emperor can help crack warp points????

My "Emperor"  in every game is listed as a diplomat.  Can a diplomat help crack warp points? 

On 9/2/2017 at 10:53 PM, The Fremen said:

It's possible to have an explorer Emperor if he was a legendary explorer when you conducted a REVO order making him your emperor. Unless of course your emperor is a jack of all trades which would be news to me ?

The concept of the Emperor being a jack of all trades is an interesting one.  I have just seen a photo of "Emperor" Kim Jong Un (of the star system North Korea) giving "instruction" to his nuclear scientists.

Given my emperor is twice as smart and thrice as good looking as Kim Jong Un then cracking a H warp point under his supervision should be no problem at all.  I still look forward to Pete's comments on his suggestion that an Emperor might be able to crack a warp point.  

41 minutes ago, RTGPete said:

What worthy Emperor would be worth his salt (no offense intended to any denizens of planet M-113) without being surrounded by a bevy of skilled advisors wherever he goes?

How cryptic!

looks like my Emperor will be firing up the royal space yacht and head for the nearest unexplored warp point to discover what his "skilled advisors" are capable of!

i