Rolling Thunder Forums

CIDS

The Fremen

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 views and still no one knows what the problem is?

well I'll let you know. 

Since when in the history of SuperNova has a piece of technology rated as fair ever had the same rating as one with an adequate rating?

Since BOTH are 10 ton CIDS systems it would make sense for one with adequate to have a better rating as one with a fair rating? Yes? No? and if no

why?

Will i will take a guess at it for you The Fremen  4cm Gatling Cids are first gen item then it goes down it line to there max one as for 4cm Gatling Gauss cids are the same you starting at the top again with a different item so you have to go to the end it also that is my guess

Actually no. A FAIR rating means 2nd generation. A POOR rating would be 1st generation. An ADEQUATE rating is 3rd generation. A GOOD rating is 4th generation. SUPERIOR rating is 5th generation.  There are 5 more ratings but I can't recall which are which but there is 

MAGNIFICENT, IMPRESSIVE, PHENOMENAL, LEGENDARY and one more that escapes me. ?

1 hour ago, The Fremen said:

Actually no. A FAIR rating means 2nd generation. A POOR rating would be 1st generation. An ADEQUATE rating is 3rd generation. A GOOD rating is 4th generation. SUPERIOR rating is 5th generation.  There are 5 more ratings but I can't recall which are which but there is 

MAGNIFICENT, IMPRESSIVE, PHENOMENAL, LEGENDARY and one more that escapes me. ?

That's right - the words (Fair, Adequate etc) mean absolutely nothing other than to indicate an item's generation.  Ignore them entirely if you like.  The only thing that really matters with regard to an item is its output to cost efficiency.  CIDS are certainly the odd bird in the flock when it comes to that.

There are four levels of advancement for defensive systems.  In Draco, if you researched the first four you can get right at the start, the cost to build would be normal, normal, improved, improved.  In this case the most efficient such system would cost improved items, which is clearly a little more efficient than using advanced items.  It is also the easiest for your enemy to research, and if he possesses that technology, its efficiency drops in combat.

Other systems such as the Gatling CIDS version would end up costing normal, improved, improved, advanced.  It's only really the last, most efficient version that really matters for the long term, so advanced items would be the focus.  Since the fourth version has twice the output of the third, it is still more efficient to build even if it costs advanced materials versus improved for the third.  Countless other CIDS systems have either the same cost series or start later, but either way they end up costing advanced materials for the best system.

When virtually every CIDS system at its fourth and best incarnation costs advanced items, all discussion about cost efficiency goes out the window and doesn't matter any more--they all have the same efficiency.  It is simply a question of how difficult or even likely it would be for your enemy to research that specific CIDS system to impose disadvantage during combat.  There's also the cool factor--SN is certainly a game that thrives on numbers, but you might just like using one CIDS system over another because it invokes a more interesting space battle when you are imagining how your space battle played out in the theater of the mind.

It's entirely up to the players involved to balance all of this out.  If you want to use only improved items for the fourth (and therefore the best in terms of output) incarnation of a CIDS system, just do that and there you go.  In this case you would have no need to research other CIDS lines and you could devote that research effort to other things.  It's entirely up to you.

The more important topic along these lines isn't about CIDS, but early engines.  Because engine efficiency rises slowly, some systems might not keep up with their cost increases from normal --> improved --> advanced.  In those cases, you're better off simply building the inferior version or waiting for better tech to finish so as to skip the inefficient systems.  The bad ones could be viewed as bridge technologies that need to be researched but wouldn't otherwise be efficient to build.  To complicate matters further, moving 'sideways' in the engine tech line could impose an inefficiency of its own, but opens up a higher end engine along that new line.  Now, it doesn't take long for all of your engines to cost advanced items, and just like CIDS systems, once that happens all tech advances along those lines would be strictly superior to the one before it--though additional sideways engine movement in the tech tree could still impose a slight inefficiency to open up the new line.

The bottom line?  Build what you want.  The minor variations in efficiency aren't really that big of a deal over the long haul.  You'll end up using advanced items to construct almost everything eventually, and this topic will then be long forgotten.

In Andromeda, the 4cm Gatling Gauss CIDS was Adequate (100). 

The names for different tech levels are:-

1 - Poor

2 - Fair

3 - Adequate

4 - Good

5 - Superior

6 - Impressive

7 - Excellent

8 - Outstanding

9 - Phenomenal

10 - Magnificent

11+ - Legendary

(Typed in while Pete was replying, so this is not a response to his post)

That's right - the words (Fair, Adequate etc) mean absolutely nothing other than to indicate an item's generation.  Ignore them entirely if you like.  The only thing that really matters with regard to an item is its output to cost efficiency.  CIDS are certainly the odd bird in the flock when it comes to that.

So from the above Fair, Adequate, mean nothing, generation means nothing, and What they are built means nothing as well. The point defense means something I think. 

The bottom line?  Build what you want.  The minor variations in efficiency aren't really that big of a deal over the long haul.  You'll end up using advanced items to construct almost everything eventually, and this topic will then be long forgotten.

In the long haul what would it matter that I am paying 1/3 more for an item with the same point defense. I am a math teacher that does not compute. 

In Andromeda, the 4cm Gatling Gauss CIDS was Adequate (100).   Lord Deependra

The key word is WAS, now it is inferior.

That being said researching tech trees in Draco are now unknown and seems to be done to discourage following old tech trees. 

If anything I now know to avoid 4cm Gatling gauss CIDS like the plague. That particular path seems to be flawed at least at generation 3. It might get better at later generations but not taking the chance. 

Research in Draco is too precious to be gambling like that. 

For those of you who have researched it my condolences. Either keep researching down that path in the hopes it gets better or scream like banshees to get those points back and put them into some other CIDS tech.