Rolling Thunder Forums

Draco ground division cap

The Fremen

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

59 minutes ago, Lord Deependra said:

My guess is the division cap won't be needed, but it depends on the database solution Pete finds.  

That’s my guess too. There may even be beefier high end divisions. After all there is precedent. Fortress units are much bigger and so can Guards units. This would make them fall in line with their descriptions. 😁

Wishful thinking yes I know but I think it’s a good reward for researching down the ground tech trees to the 6th generation or more in several areas to even be able to build em. 😊

Still an artificial limit. Like Hobknob pointed out in earlier post why should a large massive position who got that way by taking advantage of its ability to colonize everything be allowed to sail his 10 gazillion ton battlefleet to an enemy HW and then be limited in his ability to crush that puny butterfly race into butterfly paste. Explain that to everyone’s satisfaction. 

1 hour ago, Hobo said:

Should put a cap on the size of ships you can build also 1 billion ton max since Thing are change

More artificial caps?? Maybe we should limit the amount of racial traits you can add to your lifeform with research or maybe we should limit the amount of iron you can mine per position? Etc etc. Hobo you must be new to SuperNova and as a newbie you have much to learn. This game isn’t about limits it’s about the exact OPPOSITE of limits. It is a space empire BUILDING game. There shouldn’t be any limits. Everyone won’t be and shouldn’t be the same and placing artificial limits tries to do just that. Doesn’t work in the real world and won’t work here. 

Why the fremen for you and hobknob to run this game For everybody bow down to you  two no thank you. In for your info i been playing 6 yrs so i know how to play this game

23 minutes ago, Hobo said:

Why the fremen for you and hobknob to run this game For everybody bow down to you  two no thank you. In for your info i been playing 6 yrs so i know how to play this game

Hobknob and I have made logical arguments as to why the limits would be bad. RTG has basically agreed but you have done nothing but complain and whine. Come up with a reason of your own  as to why the limit is a good thing using your vast knowledge of 6 years of play. I’m all ears. This forum is for open discussion to better the game. It always has been. Join it in this regard and stop making personal attacks. I won’t respond on this forum I will respond in the game when we and my allies find you😈

Please play nice.

I've stayed away from the Imperial Reforms just because of the 1000 division limit. In Andro, I've participated in multiple GATKs and I have to say having only 1000 divisions is a death knell. My main position has close to 800,000 divisions and I'm beginning to feel that I have a small number of divisions.

Pete, what is the actual issue in the database? From my poor knowledge of databases, despite being a long term IT worker, the storage of the number of divisions shouldn't be that much of an issue. Do you mean the length of time it takes for a large GATK to process? Most of the GATKs I've been involved in have been pretty one-sided affairs and quick battles. If you post the actual issue (without giving out game secrets), maybe we can come up with some useful ideas and get around this issue.

Hobo the problem is that artificial limits totally screw over the defender. When you can be attacked both in space and on the ground by multiple empires at the same time, if every empire can only have a certain amount of ships or a certain amount of ground divisions the defender can always easily be overwhelmed. An empire that controls hundreds of planets would only be as strong as an empire that controlled 20 planets. That makes no sense. An empire could be 10 times the size of any of its neighbors, but three little empires could wipe him out if they worked together. A real world example would be telling America that it can only have as many troops, planes, tanks, and ships as Iceland has. What incentive is there to continue playing when you reach the cap? You could colonize more planets still, but why? You can't build anything more. You might say " the bigger empire should get its own allies", but with the way the game is set up you could go years without ever running into an empire that wanted to ally with you.

Another thing to keep in mind is Draco armies will be much smaller than Andromeda ones. With no ICE, I can't see anyone ever building 800,000 divisions.

BTW, that's not a complaint, just an observation.

In the end, Pete's proposed cap was to fix an internal database problem, and not to fix a game balance problem.

7 hours ago, Sakarissa said:

Pete, what is the actual issue in the database? From my poor knowledge of databases, despite being a long term IT worker, the storage of the number of divisions shouldn't be that much of an issue. Do you mean the length of time it takes for a large GATK to process? Most of the GATKs I've been involved in have been pretty one-sided affairs and quick battles. If you post the actual issue (without giving out game secrets), maybe we can come up with some useful ideas and get around this issue.

Oh, they weren't stored with a quantity.  Every division (currently) is like a ship, with its own stored memory of all sorts of interesting things under the hood.  When you have 800,000 Divisions, that's 800,000 records.  It's gotten completely out of hand as it got to be a crazy high number region-wide.  Compressing the table to record only a quantity of each type loses some of that per-division information stored behind the scenes by smearing it over a larger group with a simple quantity field.  In any event it avoids the issue of caps at a reasonable cost, so that's what I'm working on.