Rolling Thunder Forums

Draco Review

hobknob

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

15 hours ago, Hobo said:

Sure why make thing easy for people it should be hard a even playing field all the way around . Since you want them you might as will put ice back in and unvers gate or what it would make it just like andor and that what it not to surposed to be

So how does researching the required tech which will take a bit then colonizing the hazardous belt that is formed make it easy exactly?  Sounds to me like it would be MUCH easier to colonize an asteroid belt that’s already there no?  What about those players that just like to blow stuff up?? Not fair to them/me 😈

On 10/2/2019 at 8:09 PM, The Fremen said:

Planet Crackers. I’d like to see them in the game as well. 

How about it Pete? 😁

I like Graham Crackers (gluten free of course)

animal crackers are good too

well, in that place, I'll take a dozen of them!

Warning - Opinion Ahead!!!

Having planet crackers would do little to make Draco like Andro.  They are a singular method to reduce planets to asteroids and a real pain in the neck to actually use so you have to be dedicated.  Of course I have my own opinions, which these are.  I am looking at long term viability of a position.  In this case there should be a way for a veteran empire that has spent the research to get the tech to be able to improve a position in ways that are not easily replicated by others and provide an advantage just like a better weapon does.  With strict limits to the usefulness of DCS's there is no other known method to increase yields of a planet.  It could be that the idea here is to have every empire reliant for 95% of their industrial materials coming from stripmines.  I would hope not as that would really suck, but it is a possibility.  Otherwise you would need to have lots of tiny colonies.  This is possible as well, but with strict AP limits, no gates, engines nerfed to being pretty useless, it is not a good solution.  It may be the only solution, but again, I hope not.  If we are eventually just needing RAW since other sources will not keep up at all, then even more energy could be saved by converting all production costs to pure RAW numbers and saving the need for any sort of individual item.  This would sort of take us back to the first supernova with IOP and MCR.  

Having a tech that all can research is the definition of an "even playing field".  Being reliant on random planet yield generation is completely random and is not even.  I have seen the set ups for lots of positions, scores by now, and some are great while others are complete dogs and certainly not even with the neighbors.  There is no such thing as an even playing field with random setups.

Your opinion may vary, but please have one that is more than " I don't like it".  It's hard to have discussion otherwise.

:cheers:

edit - The planet cracking tech does does use Planet Cracker MDD's but is not a Bomb that you drop.  There are other requirements and then Pete has to work his magic manually.  I suspect this is the real reason to remove them as they had not been automated.

3 hours ago, RTGPete said:

This is an interesting discussion--is the thinking that in Draco Stripminers+Industries (to convert the Raw Resources) is more efficient at producing base resources (like Iron) than using regular mines on any reasonable yield of that resource?

That would depend on the definition of reasonable.

5 hours ago, RTGPete said:

This is an interesting discussion--is the thinking that in Draco Stripminers+Industries (to convert the Raw Resources) is more efficient at producing base resources (like Iron) than using regular mines on any reasonable yield of that resource?

More efficient??? How did that thinking come about? Using strip mine, even the most advanced ones, are supremely inefficient. Only races that can grow many thousands of pop per turn can even  contemplate using them to supply their empires resources.