Rolling Thunder Forums

What would Victory be like for a new player?

Steerpike

Hi all,

I've been toying with the idea of playing Victory but I'm sure it would be a non-insignificant investment of time to get up to speed for someone who has not played before, and some of the posts I've read here in the forum have me wondering if it would be worthwhile.  I know there's always hyperbole and some sore feelings in this type of game so I wanted to try get a better sense of what playing would be like rather than relying on me interpreting random posts.  I have no expectations of winning, of course, or even doing terribly well really.  So that's not the issue.  I just wouldn't want to be in a situation where I'm the lone player facing multiple established alliances of experienced players, with no change of surviving past a few turns or even getting to really experience the game.  Would welcome any input on this.

Thank you,

Vasco

I've been playing Victory! on and off since the 80s and enjoy it a great deal.  I occasionally have to take some time off since it is a large investment of time to play it well, but I always come back.  Most people in the games and on the forums are great people.  I have played against a player in one game only to join forces with him in the next game. 

If you're going to start a game, I recommend you start with a group that can both help protect you in the game and also help you learn how to play the game.  The best way to do this if you don't know anyone is to post on the forum for a game that hasn't started yet and see if someone has a group with room for one more.  You can also message people directly from the forum and have a private conversation.

Good luck!  Hopefully I'll meet you in a game some day.

Brian

P.S. I'd be curious to hear how you found out about Victory!  I have now idea if they advertise.  I found the game through a friend in college 30 years ago.

Thank you, Brian.  That's sound advice. I'll give it some more thought. I've recently started playing SuperNova, which I'm fairly sure I learned about through the online Suspense & Decision magazine. That's how I learned about Rolling Thunder and eventually Victory as well.

Thank you again,

Vasco

• 2 weeks later...

If your able to team up with a experienced player or players and work together, it will be a more enjoyable experience. But is also depends on the nation you setup and how aggressive the people around you are. 

There is a lot of things that you need to work thru, Military, Economic, and Production. Plus how you deal with resource short falls.

Ask question and review the help forums to get the needed answers.