Rolling Thunder Forums

Colonization

Lostworlds

I was interested in discussing the topic of having a good colonization component in your race and comparing it to having to use tech to change a colony to a livable planet. :(

When I created my race,spiders, I decided to roleplay it and I selected temp sensetive. Now I regret that selection. I hope to fix that withsome bionics and new points to buy racial improvements. If I had to do over again, I wouldn't get any negatives. Oh yeah, being able to climb is over rated. :angry:

For somethings I think it is best to buy the lifeform ability and for others you might as well buy the tech to overcome it. Domed cities are pretty easy to build and do a good job of compensating for atmosphere. Temperature is another story as the corrective measures are very spendy. I certainly would stay away from any colonization negatives. Even if you are not planning on being a colonizer it really sucks to have the best potential colony be a very high attrition world.

I have a colonizer and a human position.

I can't compare yet as the human position has had a tough time getting hte exploration ball rolling, lol. But so far from what I've seen elsewhere the oclonization bonuses help you find many more suitable worlds.

The Spawn have nearly every available colonization bonus possible (which did eat up a ton of starting tech points...I ran out early, making it tough to research those second tier sciences)

I posted an article on colonizing on the SN-ROTE Yahoo board. Basically your plus/minus purchases go to your lifeform bonus. Hobnob is right...25k power to correct temperature is HUGE cost...

Martin Burlingame

It is a lot of power but for temp it is the only game intown wight now. I have no doubts that somewhere along the line there will be a less power hungry version, or at least an easier way to generate the power. Funny thing is my Core Empire was set up primarily as a"ground pounder' and only picked up the Colonization bonuses as a sideline but since has found 4 ideal planets and several other that are low to moiderat attrition all withing 2 jumps of my home system, Can anyone say "Change of plans" :angry:

Gary

Even my "Couldn't Colonise a House Plant under Plasma Barrel Threat" Gremloids have found several ideal worlds around, mainly they suck in what is important but still...

And isn't that 25k Power per 100/colonists for maximum effect or is this yet another exception to the "rules" B)

/Locklyn

I created my empire to build on my homeworld only. I build industries and stripmines every turn. Still, there are a lot of planets in my home system that I would love to tap for resources. Building approx 400,000 cargo holds each turn for that eventuality. Of course I am a newer empire and don't have any of the tech that has been mentioned here....not even the domed city. I spent ALL my points on my race and have huge bonuses. Hoping to win in the long run. (Would not even think about designing a race with less than Superior Reproduction....lol).

:angry: there are many paths to a perfect race, as well as their are many different ideas as to what makes up that perfect alien race as well. :drunk: My advise would simply be to create a race that you want to play and try to design in it the elments you think in your mind it needs. Have fun with it and anything can work well and be successful in the game if you put your effort into it! :woohoo:

I'm only playing one position, but I did pick Minimal reproduction rate. I didn't come in with the thought of being a specific type of position, just a racial design that I thought was interesting. I've only been in for nine turns, and although pop growth is slow (109 per turn on my HW), it has not hindered me as yet. I've been able to shut down some strip mines in order to gain extra population to shift out to colonize.

And you will find that it wont hinder you at all... the low growth rate that is. I too have minimal growth

and have been running my position about twice as long as you GsssShsst. Technology is a GREAT equalizer when it comes to getting the most out of what you have. Those races that went for high growth and technology will have a definite advantage out the starting gate. :angry2: