Rolling Thunder Forums

Skimming Fuel

RTGPete

• 1 month later...

It has been pointed out that worlds with Hot Gases can be skimmed (Gas Giants being the most common type of world with Hot Gases) but Hydrogen atmosphere cannot.

Since Liquid Hydrogen adds 0.40 to the skimming yield, and other gaseous atmospheres can be quite good (Methane at 0.50), it makes no sense that a Hydrogen atmosphere world cannot be skimmed. If a Methane atmosphere world with Liquid Hydrogen oceans can yield 0.90 on skimming, it seems to me that a Hydrogen atmosphere world with Liquid Hydrogen oceans should also be at the coveted 0.90 skimming yield mark. Gas Giants are still king at the full 1.00 skimming yield.

I've updated the code to add Hydrogen atmosphere at 0.50, just like Methane. Hopefully this will open up some new skimming possibilities for your intrepid fleets of fuel tankers :cheers:

Pete can you repost (or show the link) to the page with what the SKIMMING produces. Also, there are worlds with the same Atmoshpere as Gas Giants but one cannot skim those. Is there a reason?

As part of the Hydrogen addition, I've added "Hot Gases" as a legal skimmable atmosphere for non-Gas Giants. Hot Gases can be skimmed for a 0.4 modifer now (Hydrogen is 0.50). Hot Gases worlds won't be as good as Gas Giants no matter what their liquid oceans are, but they can now be skimmed.

Like the table at the beginning of this thread tells or something different Martin?

Laserwolf..thanks for the satirical commentary. I was actually asking for a printed or downloadable Adobe file such as the Warp Point information that we could print and add to our rules (or included it in the SKIM rules). Some control over the mass of papers.

Like the table at the beginning of this thread tells or something different Martin?

Laserwolf..thanks for the satirical commentary. I was actually asking for a printed or downloadable Adobe file such as the Warp Point information that we could print and add to our rules (or included it in the SKIM rules). Some control over the mass of papers.

Dear Mad,

As much fun as we have making fun of you (and your great strait lines Lou Costello would have loved you) I agree with you wholeheartedly.

Any game changing/clarifying infor that Pete or Russ post here needs to be included at least as a GM note on the turn sheet, if not in an biweekly (between turns e-mail news letter). Too many instances of nonproductive notes really dilute this board. RTG should distill the good stuff and pass it on.

I would love to posess a muse that would allow me to clarify my own words as easily as I can criticize others. I.E. Pete could have easily said "A world with a methane atmosphere (50%) and semi-liquid hydrogen (40%) would produce 90% efficiency of skimming for 180 fuel." Even my gray haired gray matter figured it out, but clarity is a good thing for a rule giver. It would be catastrofic for a rule giver with such a great game to go belly up because his explanations were confusing or ambigous. Finally, it wasn't so much satire as a straight question,

"like the one at the start of this string, or something else?" In any case Laserwolf

left a neat set of teeth prints on the mad pirate's posterior. Point to laserwoof.

• 2 months later...

Pete,

I mussst protessst. How can water not be a liquid and a 20% skim value.

And how can Hot Gasssesss not be at leassst 50% or more? A Gasss Giant isss a Hot Gasss atmosssphere and ocean and yieldsss 100% (40% for atm and 60% for ocean?) :thumbsup:

Alssso what about molten zinc it isss a semi liquid (melted metal) why don't you get a 40% yield from that? :lol:

CTO, Sssarasss

Pete,

I mussst protessst. How can water not be a liquid and a 20% skim value.

And how can Hot Gasssesss not be at leassst 50% or more? A Gasss Giant isss a Hot Gasss atmosssphere and ocean and yieldsss 100% (40% for atm and 60% for ocean?) :taz:

Alssso what about molten zinc it isss a semi liquid (melted metal) why don't you get a 40% yield from that? :lol:

CTO, Sssarasss

Water could have been included, but what the heck - it wasn't. No on-board separation gear to get at the hydrogen. Or your fuel guys just don't like water. :cheers:

Gas Giants got a special deal to make them perfect skimming targets. It's not that they have Hot Gases - it's just a special excemption to make Gas Giants particularly useful.

Molten Zinc proves somewhat difficult to burn, especially in shipboard conduits that are designed for methane, hydrogen etc.