Rolling Thunder Forums

Open response to Russ and Pete...

Beltira

Letter to our players, Please read...Addenda added Feb 2005

This really saddens me. A lot.

In all my dealings with RTG and those of my friends and teammates have been nothing short of totally professional at all times.

I have never had any doubt that RTG does its best with what it has to work with and I think for two people they do a bang up job!

Russ and Pete:

Thanks guys for running a great game and putting up with us players! Here's To Ya Both <_<

Joe

Saudi Arabia '71

Russ and Pete,

Thanks for all you do. I also am a small businessman and can relate to what you just told us. I for one have no problems with your professionalism. Even when the mistakes are my fault (and most of them are!) you have still tried to accomodate me, AS LONG AS IT DOESN'T AFFECT OTHERS. I can't speak to the 'insider information' issue, but I don't believe that either Pete or Russ gives information to one person and withhold that same informatio from others.

Kudos to both of you and I hope you avoid the major problems.

Tim

Russ and Pete,

Having known you guys personally for over 20 years, and played face to face many times in addition to online games with you, I find it amazing that some would question the integrity with which you run your games. As you know, I have been a loyal customer since the early Schubel days, and will continue to be as long as you feel you wish to continue in the business. I know from personal history, that some people, when losing, will blame everything but the one resposible, themselves. Don't take it personally, you guys are the best, and nobody can please em all!

All the best

Mark Twitty

Russ & Pete,

thanks for everything you have done, good, bad or whatever. I for one having played for the last 10 years, have nothing to complain about your guys business or professionalism.

As far as I am concerned you guys are the best.

Paul Edmonds

I just came from a game, by another company, where the cost is comparable to SNROTE. The turns are regulary late. The players complain continually, sometimes justified, sometimes not. Yet the GM almost never responds. I saw months with no GM interaction at all. The game was severely and hopelessly out of balance and yet no fixes were even being contemplated.

I came to RTG in December because it looks like the GMs are actively involved, professional, and really care about their product. As a new player I find it extremely encouraging to see players defending the GMs this way. It bolsters the opinions I had already begun forming on my own.

By the way, I studied the game and the boards for almost two months before joining. From an outsider's perspective it still appears that the the complaints are in the minority and are being addressed, albeit slowly at times. Public opinion is very important to a company like this. One of the things that still impresses me most is that RTG recognizes and actively manages that opinion with regular posts, mods, and letters like this.

Russ and Pete,

You guys have been nothing but great since I started playing in the early 90's. When I first started playing I too had many questions and got my @$$ kicked a lot in Victory. I dare not recount the amount of times I got crushed outright. In all that time I never got the sense that you guys were unfair or gave information to other players. I did get the sense that you guys cared, not only about the game but the players in it.

I never forgot that when I stopped playing (I understand the personal problems. Been there and done that). A year ago I found my copy of the rules and tech sheet (printed versions from way back). I did a search on Google to see if you guys were around. Too my joy I found you were still in business. I called my friend Mike whom had never played but heard how great the game was from me (all the time. I was like an old veteran at the VWF). He agreed to sign on for a game and is now hooked. He loves it.

I was happy that I had introduced another player to the game but that was nothing compared to what I felt when I found out that you still had my account on file, had all my old information, and remembered who I was. That to me was some serious professionalism and customer service.

I too understand the growing pains of a small business (having run one) so there are no complaints from me. Turns coming back at the speeds they do only enhances the anticipation. I eagerly await my turn results and the results of others in my alliance. I imagine many battle field commanders wait for the outcome of a battle in much the same way.

I want to say I completely support you both and your product. You guys are the best and so is your game. Keep up the good hard work and take comfort in the fact that we, players, are pulling for you. Here's to you both.

<_<

To all the Veteran players I'm sending out the call to arms. It's time we start helping out the new players in every way we can. We need to answer all questions they have and even post some tips on the boards. We were all new players once, just like them, searching for answers and help. Someone stepped up and played big brother for us it's time we do it for them. So adopt a newbie. Ally with them in a game. Teach them the ins and out of bettering economies, raising militaries, and planning attacks and defenses. In the end we all win. We create stronger players, lasting alliances, and better overall enjoyment of the game. Russ and Pete (the GMs) have great games but it is we the players that make them outstanding. Lets show them and all the new players how outstanding these games can be.

Bryan Crossland

Russ/Pete,

I read your post and wanted to put my 2 cents in. I don't know either of you personally. My comments are based on what I see on a bi-weekly basis (turn results) and on this forum.

RTG (and both of you) are very professional and responsive to my needs as a customer. You are active in supporting the game and seem to give a damn. When I've emailed RTG, I've received quick and concise responses. I think you are doing an very good job (of course, getting turns out faster is always appreciated). I have enjoyed the game these last 4 1/2 months and always look forward to reviewing the turn results and plotting my next moves. As you acknowledged, the game is not perfect. However, I believe that you guys are trying to improve the game and are addressing the issues that have been identified. Keep up the good work and try not to take the negativity to heart.

Steve

Russ and Pete I have played games you two have run for close to twenty years off and on. Yes there have been times that I felt a mistake had been made and I was right the mistake was on my part. I can not count how many times I have the improper sequence in my orders or entered a wrong location or force number. The unforgiving nature of these mistakes, I feel actually adds to the game and rewards those who pay attention to all the details. I have never felt that you played "favorites". I have always received a more than satisfactory response to my querys. I will remain a customer of yours as long as you wish to keep playing.

I've held off responding because of a difficult person issue but feel it is important to let everyone, Pete and Russ included know how much they really care about the players. In late September I shattered my right wrist very very badly. This of course has caused me many issues with keying my turns. A friend of mine would key the turns and the email them to Russ for turn submission. I've just recently been told that while on the pain medications, which really knocked me out, Russ would ask an alliance member of mine how I was doing.

Now, I have no idea what has prompted the post by Russ. But I can say my experience shows RTG to be very professional and has grown to a personal relationship or at least I feel that way!

I own a small business and know first hand (pun intended) how difficult it is to accomplish everything. I'm a programmer by trade and know the time investment involved with software development as well. Every business has it's strengths and weaknesses, even mine. (I need a right hand man - Yep, I'm right handed!! <_<) I believe Pete and Russ handle them well!

Russ, thank you for the personal concern and care! I really do appreciate it!

Brad

I just came from a game, by another company, where the cost is comparable to SNROTE. The turns are regulary late. The players complain continually, sometimes justified, sometimes not. Yet the GM almost never responds. I saw months with no GM interaction at all. The game was severely and hopelessly out of balance and yet no fixes were even being contemplated.

I came to RTG in December because it looks like the GMs are actively involved, professional, and really care about their product. As a new player I find it extremely encouraging to see players defending the GMs this way. It bolsters the opinions I had already begun forming on my own.

By the way, I studied the game and the boards for almost two months before joining. From an outsider's perspective it still appears that the the complaints are in the minority and are being addressed, albeit slowly at times. Public opinion is very important to a company like this. One of the things that still impresses me most is that RTG recognizes and actively manages that opinion with regular posts, mods, and letters like this.

G'DAY RUSS AND PETE

I KNOW OF FIVE PLAYERS FROM OUR LITTLE CITY OF DARWIN IN THE NORTHERN TERRITORY OF AUSTRALIA AND I AM CONFIDENT THAT I SPEAK FOR ALL OF THEM WHEN I SAY THAT YOU HAVE CONSISTENTLY DELIVERED ALL THAT WE HAVE EXPECTED OF YOU.

AS TO YOUR INTEGRITY AND IMPARTIALITY, THESE HAVE NEVER BEEN IN DOUBT.

BEST WISHES FOR THE FUTURE.

DES FEENEY

AUSTRIA 62

ALGERIA 65

ALGERIA 70

IRAQ 73

Thanks guys!! The support is greatly appreciated :taz:

Pete and I are in this for the duration so we'll be here next year and the year after. :blink: We'll make our share of mistakes but we'll keep doing the best we can. We gamers are an odd bunch <_< - mutants to many of our fellow citizens but gaming is something that gets in your blood and once it does...well, not much you can do except embrace it :pirate2:

Russ

Hello All,

This subject seems to come every 3 months or so. Although I know that there is always the possibility that the GM 'plays' with the turnresults, I also know that to do this you would have to be very, very carefull because of the 'inconsistenties' that will occur. I've never seen anything that even suggested that this would be the case with the RTG GM.

It's never fun to be kicked out of a game. But in most cases this is due to mistakes that are made in the first three turns, or just by fighting too many damn opponents at the same time!

It seems to be in the nature of the beast to blame others for problems caused by itself. Even in something harmless and irrelevant as a game.

I'm a poor loser myself. And if there is such a thing as being too competitive I'm sure it would apply to me. But I've never put the blame for my mistakes or the 'misguided' choices of Lady Fortune anywhere else.

If the person or persons that suggest that the RTG GM cheats really believe their statement, they should stop playing. Why spoil the entertainment for others?

It's sad enough that in real life the few spoil the life of the many, let's at least try not to let this happen in this 'virtual' life.

The RTG GM always had and still has my full confidence, and I'm sure that all that I've written above will be endorsed by the bulk of the players.

Donald Ernst

It seems to be in the nature of the beast to blame others for problems caused by itself. Even in something harmless and irrelevant as a game.

Exactly.

Or, if you're like me, you sometimes look at the result of your turn and say, "what the Hell? RTG screwed up my turn!" And then you go back over your orders and notice where *you* screwed up the order itself. :taz: And then you say, "oh, never mind, RTG...." <_<

In all of my (too many to count) years of dealing with RTG they have never been anything other than impartial and fair to all players. Even when some players in years past have gotten very nasty and hateful to RTG, they continued to respond with patience and impartiality toward these certain players.

RTG is the reason I continue to be a gamer. Keep up the fantastic work, RTG! :pirate2:

Kevin