Rolling Thunder Forums

domed vs. subterranean

Octus Imperium

I know this is a racial characterists dependent question, but having just acquired the ability to manufacture appropriate materials for subT cities, do they have much of an advantage over domed cities on colony worlds? Assume using suitable liquid purification technology, of course. And if building under ground, does one lose the terrain and lifeform advantages (if any) of the surface? Just not certain it is worth sending all those ACM's to a moderate or high world to attempt to get their (much needed) resources. (Why are those rich iron deposits always on ugly worlds? I know, racial design....)

Thanks for your thoughts.

Octus Imperium

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sub cities will add to everything else if you build them. My experience is that they don't do too much, but they may be enough to make a potetial colony worth doing. There is no way to tell what they are going to do so just build them and see. If you don't get the desired results just scrap them and try the next planet.

If you are looking to go from high to ideal you aren't likely to get it done with sub cities.

I know this is a racial characterists dependent question, but having just acquired the ability to manufacture appropriate materials for subT cities, do they have much of an advantage over domed cities on colony worlds? Assume using suitable liquid purification technology, of course. And if building under ground, does one lose the terrain and lifeform advantages (if any) of the surface? Just not certain it is worth sending all those ACM's to a moderate or high world to attempt to get their (much needed) resources. (Why are those rich iron deposits always on ugly worlds? I know, racial design....)

Thanks for your thoughts.

Octus Imperium

Sub Cities offer added protection vs. microbio, pollution, etc.

actually when combined with thermal transfer centers, atmosphere exchangers , ducks along with some domed cities, cities and training centers even the crappiest colonization race can survive in the most inhospitable enviorments. I have a couple that set up shop on some asteroid belts

and while they are still losing pop to attrition it is managable and well worth the return in resources. once I get some of thier disadvantages removed through genetic engineering they

should prove to be quite adept at colonizing any world with the colonization technology they have

researched.

Here's a question about Domed and Subterranean and cities in general.

Lets say you have a colony and have cities already in place. Then, you develop the tech to build Domed Cities. Do you scrap the existing cities and build Domed Cities? OR, do you construct a Dome over the already existing cities?

Same question for Subterranean cities. Do the original cities get DISMantled, then reCONstructed as Subterranean cities? Or do you just dig the hole and drop the pre-existing cities in them?

Can you build Domed AND Subterranean cities (getting maximum benefits)?

What effect does an Aquatic installation construction have? Does successful research of this provide buildable facilities? Or are they simply augmentations that enhance the survivability of existing installations? And, what negative factors do they reduce? Seems like Domes reduce Atmosphere and Subterranean reduce pollution/microbes. What do Aquatics reduce?

Thanks all.

Prospective asked about domed cities some time ago. In it he asked what the tech tree was for it and someone was kind enough to give him the answer. I didn't write it down at the time, and now I can't find that thread again to save my life.

Could someone point me to it, or maybe just re-post the path to domed cities?

Thanks!

Prospective asked about domed cities some time ago. In it he asked what the tech tree was for it and someone was kind enough to give him the answer. I didn't write it down at the time, and now I can't find that thread again to save my life.

Could someone point me to it, or maybe just re-post the path to domed cities?

Thanks!

You need: 2nd Generation Civil Engineering and Improved Construction Materials (last one includes Improved Steel and Improved Timber ofcourse).

You need: 2nd Generation Civil Engineering and Improved Construction Materials (last one includes Improved Steel and Improved Timber ofcourse).

This is incorrect. You only need Timber and Improved Steel to build Improved Conmstruction Materials. RTG made a mistake in setting up the prereqs and left it as Timber. You will need to research Improved Timber though since when you are ready for Advanced Construction Materials, you will need Advanced Steel and Advanced Timber as well in order to build them.

BTW Domed Cities took one of my colonies from Moderate attrition to no attrition I have been able to detect (and I have over 2000 colonists there) so they are well worth it in places where atmosphere is a major contributor to attrition.

BTW Domed Cities took one of my colonies from Moderate attrition to no attrition I have been able to detect (and I have over 2000 colonists there) so they are well worth it in places where atmosphere is a major contributor to attrition.

I have domed cities and have not been able to drop any moderates to zero attrition. I get very low to zero, but not yet moderate to zero. It could be other factors, such as race and, or course, gravity, temp, tilt, etc.

I do have a couple planets with significant pluses in the lifeforms and/or terrain catagories. If I place subT cities, does anyone know if I lose those positive (surface) attributes?

Also, some reply's suggest cities, domes and subT all stack. One could logically conclude that in a hostile enviroment with all of the above options, most colonists would select the safest habitat, unless there was no space in that city type. They would then select the second safest. If this is how things stack, it makes sense. If there is some othe suggestion about stacking, there could be an advantage to remove surface cities and use only domed or subT to reduce attrition rates. Anyone with experience that would suggest this is the case? (Better to have ONLY domed vs domed and open cities in a nasty atmosphere?)

Octus Imperium