Rolling Thunder Forums

Legendary Naval Officers

RTGRuss

This subject is something that is going in the new Naval Combat Supplement but combat is getting a lot more common and the issue has come up in at least one major battle. The officers are listed on battle results but their fire control bonus (mentioned in previous naval combat supplement) has not been displayed or factored into the reported fleet fire control values on the battle reports.

Here is way it is calculated

Legendary Naval Officers

Rank 1 - Senior Captain

Rank 2 - Commodore

Rank 3 - Rear Admiral

Rank 4 - Vice Admiral

Rank 5 - Admiral

Rank 6 - Fleet Admiral

Rank 7 - Grand Admiral

The system runs through all your fleets at the battle location looking for every naval officer present. The highest ranking officer is noted and the cumulative rank values of naval officers (including the ranking officer) is calculated. Your combined force then receives a fire control bonus equal to

Highest Rank Level + Square Root of cumulative rank levels

Example

You have a Rear Admiral (Rank 3) and a Senior Captain (Rank 1) present. The highest rank is 3 and the cumulative rank level is 4. The Fire Control bonus for naval officers is 5 (3 + Square Root of 4).

The naval officer bonus is then added to your forces' base fire control (based on bridge strength / tonnage).

Example,

The combined force has a fire control of 4 (Mk II Computer equivalent - 10% tonnage) and you have the Rear Admiral and Senior Captain naval officers from the earlier example present. The final fire control value of the combined force is 9 (Base 4 + Officer Bonus 5).

So...naval officers :beer: are a valuable resource particularly on fleets with a low fire control ability (when the officers serve as a big multiplier). On high tech fleets their relative value isn't as great but they still contribute a great deal (i.e. A higher tech force with a fire control of 16 (Mk IV Computer equivalent /10% tonnage) gets the same +5 fire control bonus but it isn't as important in relative terms as it was to the force with a base fire control of 4).

Russ

So Russ, does that mean that if just the higher ranking officer were present that he would add 4 to the fire control rating? (3 plus the square root of 3 (roughly 1.7 rounded down to 1)

Correct - you'd get his rank plus the square root of his rank. I'm pretty sure it chops fractions on the formula but I'll check with Pete on that.

Russ

• 3 weeks later...

Here's a thought for possible consideration... B)

The FC add for Naval LCs is a straight addition.

However, with technology that some have available today an FC of 40, or so, is perfectly possible with the installation of sufficient bridge systems.

At that point, and of course eventually higher, the character's effect becomes less and less.

The only other really effective LC at the moment, the explorer type, has a constant % effect, but this is ever more effective as the JSS tech level rises.

We wonder, therefore, if the Naval Characters might have such a % multiplier, rather than a straight and ever less useful add.......

This might also be applied to the general character traits as more and more of the LC abilities are revealed.

BTW - Martial Artists are reputed to affect combat too - do they have an FC effect, or something else?

Chief Warmaster to Ur-Lord Tedric

The only other really effective LC at the moment, the explorer type, has a constant % effect, but this is ever more effective as the JSS tech level rises.

While I conquer to the rest of your post and suggestion, I must clarify, that exporer LCs are not rising

in effectiviness due to higher JSS, because their %-value just substract from the WP-difficulty, which does

not change with higher JSS.

Cestvel

BTW - Martial Artists are reputed to affect combat too - do they have an FC effect, or something else?

I take it you mean Ground Combat. :oops:

Just checking, don't you know B)

Actually we didn't, but you're quite right..... ;)

We remembered the 'combat' reference, but it does specifically say 'ground combat and exploration'......after we looked it up...

Well, then we'd certainly wonder what Army Officers and Martial Artists do in ground combat, but we'll ask for that after the Naval Supplement is here....

While I conquer to the rest of your post and suggestion, I must clarify, that exporer LCs are not rising

in effectiviness due to higher JSS, because their %-value just substract from the WP-difficulty, which does

not change with higher JSS.

Cestvel

You are entirely correct, but it's the effect that matters. With, for example, an Explorer level explorer (50% bonus - we believe), whilst it makes the WP strength 50% of what it was, the effect is that the Base Strength of the JSS is effectively doubled...

So, even a single Mk I JSS + Explorer can survey a standard C Class WP.

In this case, that of FC, my first suggestion that a similar % calculation (plus adding other naval characters just like additional explorers/scientists) might then be applied?

In this way there would be a multiplier effect on the base FC, which does seem reasonably logical when you think about it.......

M2CW

• 1 month later...

This is indeed interesting and in some cases worrysome as the add is straight wich can lead to that naval officer directing fire all over creation :laugh:

Locklyn

I have a question:

Since allied fleets can end up on the same side together and be affected by leaders, do all allied fleets on one side of the combat get bonuses to FC from ALL allied naval leaders present? There could after all be such a thing as too much FC <_< This will soon be a pressing issue for me so any help would be appreciated

Cheers

Locklyn