Rolling Thunder Forums

Advanced Neutral question

Prospective

Hi all,

Just noticed an Advanced neutral showing up on a PMAP and am looking for suggestions/options as to bring them into the fold in the most beneficial way (eg: least damage to them so that I can benefit from their inclusion to the empire). I have yet to do an ORB so I don't have a complete picture of the situation. What I do know is that there are 164 pop units, so it seems to be a small advanced neutral. Can anyone offer insight? Is 164 pops relatively small for an advanced neutral? Is that an average size? What's the best way to bring them in? Diplomacy? If yes, what do I do? I read something about giving them gifts… how does that work? What seems to be the most convincing? Should I give them pharmaceuticals (drug em into submission)? Do I give less valuable items like water or fertilizer (bullshit them into the empire??)? What are the mechanics of it? Do I simply do an OC order on some goods, then expect them to jump in and say OK!!!?? This is my first foray into the diplomatic field and I'd like advice.

OR, should I simply drop troops? What is the typical result of that action? Will I kill all the neutral pops? Will troops end up destroying facilities that might be in place? I'd kind of like them to come into the empire in a more or less intact fashion, but am not adverse to trying the military solution. If I opt for a military solution, any suggestion as to the types and number of troops to send in? Will I get details regarding their military forces on an ORB? Troop units/strengths? I can't imagine they'll have too much with a base population of 164. Again, any guidance would be most appreciated.

Thanks.

Set a fleet overhead doing DIP's everyturn and eventually they will join your empire. If you have anything in cargo you can use it as a gift.bribe material. If you want to drop troops that also works. In the end they should come over. Some convert faster than others as well.

Sometimes advanced neutrals come equipped with nifty installations that make you drool, but mostly they are damaged and broken. They also have a tendancy to have small stockpiles of stuff, some of which can really help you out or at least be interesting.

Good Luck,

:laugh:

Just reviewed the DIP order and have a question.  There are 17 diplomacy options to choose from.  What one tends to work the best?  I'd like to assimilate them whole, so it seems that a "peaceful" tone would be best, but I don't know.  Suggestions?

Thanks again

Take a hint from your own racial design. If your smile curdles milk and frightens children, try to intimidate the neutral. :ranting: If you are heavy into shapeshifting and telepathy, try subversion. (My personal favorite.) :laugh: If your race can charm the birds from the trees, use peaceful negotiations. :)

I suspect that, if no particular option jumps out based upon your racial design, then peaceful negotiations might be the best bet.

As for what gifts to use, try whatever makes sense to tech level of the neutral and your diplomacy option. Mineral fertilizer might work very well for a base primitive, but less so for an advance race. Advance Heavy Machinery might work well for an advanced neutral, but primitives would not know what to do with it. I like using Advanced Black Market Goods in my subversions. Although my favorite success came when I gave out a few Nuclear Bombs with my subersion attempt. :) I smile to myself every time I think what must have happened planet-side that day before the nuetral fell into my lap. :oops:

TErnest

(Arcane Services, Inc.)

Prospective, you're the reason I almost never have to ask questions. You're always a few steps ahead of me and cover most of what I need to know. ;)

I'm doing basically the same thing, but with a primitive neutral.

It seemed that for gifts, primitive artwork or luxury goods might be useful. If not for that, what are these things good for? Does the type of gift really make all that much difference?

As TErnest says, it depends a lot on your race as to the best tactic. I have never used anything but the 'peaceful' option and the longest it ever took was 5 turns to convert. (that was with a pathfinder and no diplomat) Oh, yes, diplomats help, as well. Whenever I've had a diplomat, those alien neutrals just can't wait to join the Sabeli!!

I'm sure it helps that all my diplomats come with beer ships....... ;)

and I rarely use gifts, if I do, its just whatever (100 tons at most) of something I've picked up with an EXPL order. :thumbsup:

As TErnest says, it depends a lot on your race as to the best tactic.  I have never used anything but the 'peaceful' option and the longest it ever took was 5 turns to convert. (that was with a pathfinder and no diplomat)  Oh, yes, diplomats help, as well.  Whenever I've had a diplomat, those alien neutrals just can't wait to join the Sabeli!! 

I'm sure it helps that all my diplomats come with beer ships.......  ;)

and I rarely use gifts, if I do, its just whatever (100 tons at most) of something I've picked up with an EXPL order. :thumbsup:

Wow, that's interesting. I need to use gifts - I don't think I took any sort of diplomacy bonuses, I take it you did.

Diplomats definitely help. My best 'gift' has been Advanced Pharmaceuticals using subversion - usually it only takes a few turns of 'coaxing'. I think I've mentioned before that I turned a neutral on one DIP order with 500 or 750 Advanced Pharmaceuticals. I've had sucess with all kinds of materials however: Meat, Standard Hull Plate, Fuel Tankage, Black Market Goods... I usually use things found in EXPL orders that I don't immediately need.

Prospective, try some stuff out; there aren't any hard and fast rules to converting a neutral. Your particular racial situation will probably effect things more than any of our suggestions anyhow.

-LX