Rolling Thunder Forums

Convoy routes and NM

Prospective

Hi all,

Basically my question is in the topic description but here's a repeat.

If I have a fleet assigned to a convoy route, but would rather use it for a special trip just this turn, can I do a couple of simple NM's (using both AP's) and not disrupt the convoy route next turn (assuming the trip is a round trip)?

What if I expend both AP's and don't do a round trip with a ship assigned to a convoy route? Will any errors be caused? Will the CR execute normally once I bring back the fleet to the starting point of the CR?

Thanks.

If I have a fleet assigned to a convoy route, but would rather use it for a special trip just this turn, can I do a couple of simple NM's (using both AP's) and not disrupt the convoy route next turn (assuming the trip is a round trip)?

What if I expend both AP's and don't do a round trip with a ship assigned to a convoy route?  Will any errors be caused?  Will the CR execute normally once I bring back the fleet to the starting point of the CR?

As far as I have noticed, the convoy route ignores what you "special" order a fleet to do in a turn. Except, of course, for tallying action points.

So, say you have a move, warp to A, move, warp to B, move, warp to C . . . route.

If after the fleet arrives in B you special order it to visit a colony and load something (NM, LC), the convoy route order will still move your fleet to the warp point to C and warp the fleet. It doesn't care that the fleet starts from an orbit and not a warp point.

--Russ (other one)

I think I've tracked down the issue with the embedded CONV order inside a convoy route not working properly. A fleet on a convoy route that reaches a CONV order should execute that order as part of its route and then halt execution at that point. Halting would occur even if the ships involved had action points left - recursively calling the new convoy route in the middle of a fleet run is ugly. On the following turn it should pick up on the new convoy route at whatever priority # it was assigned to in the CONV. I'll try to watch a few go through when convoy routes run later tonight.

I think I've tracked down the issue with the embedded CONV order inside a convoy route not working properly.  A fleet on a convoy route that reaches a CONV order should execute that order as part of its route and then halt execution at that point.  Halting would occur even if the ships involved had action points left - recursively calling the new convoy route in the middle of a fleet run is ugly.  On the following turn it should pick up on the new convoy route at whatever priority # it was assigned to in the CONV.  I'll try to watch a few go through when convoy routes run later tonight.

I always hated nested do loops when I was young and playing with FORTRAN....

So, to clarify...

If you have a convoy route for movement that terminates in a skim convoy route, the fleets would not actually do any skimming until the following turn, regardless of AP's remaining for the fleet assigned for the convoy route.

This would suggest that calling another convoy route is really just a stop order and the same thing would be accomplished by simply reassigning the fleet on the following turn. Or am I missing something here?

:cheers:

So, to clarify...

If you have a convoy route for movement that terminates in a skim convoy route, the fleets would not actually do any skimming until the following turn, regardless of AP's remaining for the fleet assigned for the convoy route.

This would suggest that calling another convoy route is really just a stop order and the same thing would be accomplished by simply reassigning the fleet on the following turn.  Or am I missing something here?

Convoy routes that happen to have a SKIM order do not terminate; they simply execute the SKIM and move on to the next order as usual.

Convoy routes that have an embedded CONV order to assign the fleet to some other convoy route would terminate at the execution of the CONV order. This is different from assigning a CONV order manually on the next turn because (1) the fleet is guaranteed to stop movement at a specified place in the route and (2) you don't have to issue a CONV order on the following turn, saving an order and the hassle of having to remember to do so.

This would suggest that calling another convoy route is really just a stop order and the same thing would be accomplished by simply reassigning the fleet on the following turn.  Or am I missing something here?

I see it more like a convoy route (CNVR) is an endless DO loop.

An embedded CONV is more like a STOP, followed by the infamous GOTO.

Convoy routes that happen to have a SKIM order do not terminate; they simply execute the SKIM and move on to the next order as usual.

Convoy routes that have an embedded CONV order to assign the fleet to some other convoy route would terminate at the execution of the CONV order.  This is different from assigning a CONV order manually on the next turn because (1) the fleet is guaranteed to stop movement at a specified place in the route and (2) you don't have to issue a CONV order on the following turn, saving an order and the hassle of having to remember to do so.

Excellent. We can try to plan out linked CONVs now. Too bad it's a "stop" order, but nested loops can be a pain... High AP fleets will need their own routes that can take full advantage of their movement ability.

It appears we have some re-writing to do.

-LX

Yes, what is really important is how it really works. We will all adapt and mold ourselves to the reality of the moment.

For me the embedded convoy route seems to have little value at present so I don't have to worry about fiddling with it.

I do have to worry about really long convoy routes though, and they are a real pain if you don't get them right the first time.

:beer::cheers::beer:

I think I've tracked down the issue with the embedded CONV order inside a convoy route not working properly.  A fleet on a convoy route that reaches a CONV order should execute that order as part of its route and then halt execution at that point.  Halting would occur even if the ships involved had action points left - recursively calling the new convoy route in the middle of a fleet run is ugly.  On the following turn it should pick up on the new convoy route at whatever priority # it was assigned to in the CONV.  I'll try to watch a few go through when convoy routes run later tonight.

It works! :blush: