Rolling Thunder Forums

Naval Troop Types

Eldred

I recently built a Naval troop type and have been trying to figure out its base TAC ratings. I have used the standard formula [(poor x 10)+(fair x 30)+...] but its throwing out some weird numbers (ie not in 10s).

I presume there is another adjustment at work here - perhaps it depends on how much of the world where the army is situated is covered in ocean? Naval troops will be less effective if there is nowhere to sail! Or maybe I just can't do my sums properly :blush:

Any ideas?

Is there some technology giving you a non-10-point edge?

Don't think so, I don't think I have any bonuses B)

To the best of our knowledge TAC ratings do not show any race or world or other modifying effects (like FOB and Naval Combat results don't, either).

However, Ground technologies that give multiple ratings do not always give the 'full' rating bonus to all spheres of effect.

In this case I'll make a guess and say you have acquired the Long Tom Howitzer technology and you're looking at the Artillery rating.

If you build other artillery divisions then you'll see something similar.....

Chief Warmaster to Ur-Lord Tedric

Don't think so, I don't think I have any bonuses B)

To the best of our knowledge TAC ratings do not show any race or world or other modifying effects (like FOB and Naval Combat results don't, either).

However, Ground technologies that give multiple ratings do not always give the 'full' rating bonus to all spheres of effect.

In this case I'll make a guess and say you have acquired the Long Tom Howitzer technology and you're looking at the Artillery rating.

Aha that might explain things...so in this case the Long Tom Howitzer, which would normally provide a multiplier of 30, this may be somewhat less effective for naval units - presumably as they are not as accurate on board ships!

Don't think so, I don't think I have any bonuses :oops:

B)

Just when you think you have figured out all of the basics, then something like this comes and surprises you... I am on the verge of completing research on a few ground combat advances with multiple ratings. Thanks for the insight!

My respect for Ur Lord Tedric has increased a few notches (again)

Thanks Ur-Lord. I have now done my sums again and if I factor in a 10% "penalty" for the Long Toms (ie so the multiplier is 27 not 30) then the figures come out nicely.  B)

You're welcome, but it's not a penalty for the Naval unit...... :oops:

We think you'll find that it's still '30' for the Fair, but it's split 27 to Artillery and 3 to Chemical.........

And this will apply to all the divisions that have an Artillery and/or Chemical Weapons rating....

B)

Just when you think you have figured out all of the basics, then something like this comes and surprises you...  I am on the verge of completing research on a few ground combat advances with multiple ratings.  Thanks for the insight!

My respect for Ur Lord Tedric has increased a few notches (again)

That's most kind.....

We're hoping for the Naval Combat Supplement to be out before we get some Ground Combat experience (against the drop in the First Chronicles thread) and then the Chief Scribe plans to pen another Flagship article, which can concentrate on the combat side of the game now that so much has come out in the last year...

We need the supplement to make sure we don't say anything that suddenly appears to be completely wrong - but we didn't know.....!!! :oops:

Thanks Ur-Lord. I have now done my sums again and if I factor in a 10% "penalty" for the Long Toms (ie so the multiplier is 27 not 30) then the figures come out nicely.  :D

You're welcome, but it's not a penalty for the Naval unit...... :oops:

We think you'll find that it's still '30' for the Fair, but it's split 27 to Artillery and 3 to Chemical.........

And this will apply to all the divisions that have an Artillery and/or Chemical Weapons rating....

Blimey, you're right again! :drunk: Just when I think I am finally starting to understand this game I find out something else which makes me think again...that's what I love about it :cheers:

• 2 weeks later...
I assume that the Chemical Weapons rating is both increased and  interchangeable with Biological/Chemical munitions or am I just crazy?

Lord SaHeru

:ninja:

Not sure we understand the question.....

Biological Weapons and Chemical Weapons are 2 separate ground tech areas....(just like in RL, in fact)

I assume that the Chemical Weapons rating is both increased and  interchangeable with Biological/Chemical munitions or am I just crazy?

Lord SaHeru

:ninja:

Not sure we understand the question.....

Biological Weapons and Chemical Weapons are 2 separate ground tech areas....(just like in RL, in fact)

ok take Long Tom ,for instance, it part artilliary and part Chem weapon. So I was wondering if Harmful Biological Weapons Munitions can also increase the Chem side of the rating or if only Irritant Chemical weapons munitions increase it. Does that make sense?

I haven't confirmed this myself directly, but I think that techs like the Long Tom have ratings in artillery, chemical, biological, and mass destruction devices. As you increase your tech in those areas you are boosting the value of your Long Toms. :ninja:

You are also demonstrating your ability to use morally reprehensible weapons on the battlefield. :D