Rolling Thunder Forums

Questions about great Britain

rotor911

I just got my first Victory! report ever (game 75, Great Britain) and have several (probably naive) questions. TIA

- just to be sure : there's no Gibraltar in my report because GB doesn't own Gibraltar in this game, right?

- it looks impossible to send troops to and bring back petroleum from Alkuwait. Distance alone would preclude it but, anyway, the only road passes by Suez so I would need to TA Egypt to use it, right? So the only way not to lose these provinces without any compensation would be to TA 1 neighbouring country in the area and cede the control of the provinces to him, hoping that he would pay the rent time to time? B) .

- same thing for Malta? (I count 34 SMR from Plymouth, AK range is 11 SMR, 4 turns) or is it worth trying?

- subsidiary question : I would be compelled to ship troops because, Malta being an "Occupied Neutral", I couldn't ship just ARM points and build the divisions there (thus saving shipping) , right?

- about the AIC : since I'm a fearless leader who doesn't worry about invasions :oops: , shouldn't I merge, say, the Birmingham & London networks, living a simpler life?

Again, thanks for your help.

Her are some short answers......

- just to be sure : there's no Gibraltar in my report because GB doesn't own Gibraltar in this game, right?

YES

- it looks impossible to send troops to and bring back petroleum from Alkuwait. Distance alone would preclude it  but, anyway, the only road passes by Suez so I would need to TA Egypt to use it, right? So the only way not to lose these provinces without any compensation would be to TA 1 neighbouring country in the area and cede the control of the provinces to him, hoping that he would pay the rent time to time?  B) .

Forget AlKuwait, if you have a friend in the game located next to it then you may consider a TA ..... otherwise forget it.

- same thing for Malta? (I count 34 SMR from Plymouth, AK range is 11 SMR, 4 turns) or is it worth trying?

Normaly the people do not like to conquer a simple rock in the sea. Due to that you maybe lucky and keep it.

- subsidiary question : I would be compelled to ship troops because,  Malta being an  "Occupied Neutral", I couldn't ship just ARM points and build the divisions there (thus saving shipping) , right?

YES

- about the AIC : since I'm a fearless leader who doesn't worry about invasions  :oops: , shouldn't I merge, say, the Birmingham & London networks, living a simpler life?

YES

Michael

- subsidiary question : I would be compelled to ship troops because,  Malta being an  "Occupied Neutral", I couldn't ship just ARM points and build the divisions there (thus saving shipping) , right?

- about the AIC : since I'm a fearless leader who doesn't worry about invasions  :oops: , shouldn't I merge, say, the Birmingham & London networks, living a simpler life?

Again, thanks for your help.

A couple points to add...

Although you can't build units from scratch in occupied territory - you could ship in less expensive and easier to carry units (such as airborne units) then upgrade them with ARM to other unit types once they have reached their destination. Malta is probably not worth such an effort but this tactic can be a useful tool for anyone planning an invasion by sea.

Merging AIC networks to make life simplier is often a good idea on the first few turns (particularly for some nations). It is very important to note however the sequence of events during production when you do so.

The AIC links will change immediately when you issue the appropriate orders so subsequent orders that may use the AIC net (supply draws, replacement draws, unit builds, etc.) have to take into account the new structure. The stockpiles however do not get collected into the new AIC 1 cities (AIC Network Collection) until the end turn sequence and then only after Resource Production, Population Adjustments and Industrial Production occur.

So...if you restructure an AIC network and the new AIC 1 city does not currently have stockpiles sufficient to handle any requirements until the AIC Network Collection phase hits - issue an MCR order to move some stockpiles from their current location to the new AIC 1 city after you have restructured. Failure to do so can result in a lot of industries failing due to insufficient resources (and later in the game - food shortages that drive up unrest and reduce POP levels).

Russ

P.S. Have fun and best of luck! B)

Hey rotor B) Welcome to victory ;)

About your two Kuwaitii provences: Your TA plan is probably your best bet. Try Trans-Jordan. Get the TA bonus and let him worry about how to get the oil up to himself. If there attacked by his neighbors you don't take the morale loss and he needs the oil so he will probably go for it. :oops:

You are spending some time worrying about tangential issues at Malta and Kuwait. Loosing possesion will not loose the game for you and if kept their victory points are insignifigant to your final score.

Many newbies appear to be confused that this game resembles the actual military balance and politics of WWII. It bears absoulutely NO resemblance and major historical concerns are NOT concerns of this game.

If I were you I would concentrate on the fact that Ireland has not apparently made himself or his thoughts known to you. Until he starts negotiations you have to assume a state of war will exist. Start building troops and ferrying them to Belfast!

France, Denmark, and Lowlands also have to be a concern but they probably have their hands full with other issues probably will not be a threat to you for some time. Good diplomacy should solve problems from that quarter.

Iceland and Norway can be no signifigant threat to you until much later in the game. At most they can be a minor threat after Turn 13 when they can build a LSM but not a serious threat until they can build the LST around Turn 42. They are not likely to start conflicts with you unless you are either wounded from conflict or they have choosen to be friends to your enemies. Good airpower can stop the minor threat they might represent.

Bulding BB's to flatten xDublin is also a good strategy as he no doubt will also be trying to do to xLondon or xLiverpool. Building Torpedo Bombers to stop his BB's, Hampdens to attack his ground troops, and fighters to protect your forces are all important steps for success. But ultimately it takes boots on the ground to defeat him.

Don't forget minesweeprs to keep the path to xBelfast open! This is a very cheap way for Ireland to keep you at bay should he start to loose his industrial base too you. They could be your biggest threat to success.

Most important of all of course is to find 1 or more Total Allies. You cannot win a war against an enemy without the Intelligence reports for your TA's. Waging war without a Total Ally to AT LEAST share information on the moves of your opponet is like fighting with one hand behind your back. If you can't find one locally then get one temporaily at someplace like Portugal or UAE. They also need the information a Total Ally provides if they are surronded by enemies and can find no friends in their region.

Good luck.....you have picked a challenging country for a first effort but you will find it rewarding.

If I were you I would concentrate on the fact that Ireland has not apparently made himself or his thoughts known to you.  Until he starts negotiations you have to assume a state of war will exist.  Start building troops and ferrying them to Belfast!
Given that the setupsheet arrived only two days ago and no actual turns (and RNA orders) have been played yet, I'd say that might be seen as a bit overreacting. Better safe than sorry will only get you so far, after all.

Guest General Spongebob Squarepants

Never mind Ireland.... WHAT ABOUT THE SCOTS, there still miffed you invaded them :D:oops::drunk:

And if your really paranoid watch out for those welshmen in wellies :cheers:

Good Luck

It's not the scotts you need worry your spongey little head about.... :blink:

It's those damn americans, who knows what they want and who they want it from.... :D

Good luck... You'll need it.... :drunk:

DezertCamel :P

Ps. don't forget the pirates... :pirate2:

Guest General Spongebob Squarepants

Arrrrrghhhhhh!!!!!! The Camel is haunting me...... help!!!!! I guess im gonna have to follow you into every game you join and Invade you.

BTW are you in 75, i need a big target to hit. :D:P

The suggestion concerning total allies is essential to survival. Tha tactics concerning Ireland do indeed have a lot of merit. I would consider that this game has a huge learning curve. and you might be better served concentrating on your home island and building your infrastucture possibly peace ovetures towards Ireland in the form of an alliance or if you are confortable a total alliance. In my opinion building recon aircraft and fighters placing them on a soam solidfying your defenses and building your industrial base. The spitfire is one of the most impressive weapons availible in this game

I forgot to mention another newbie misconception that often leads them down the path of ruin and frustration.

Be advised that you have NO chance of imitating Hitlers success! You WILL NOT be capturing enemy territory from London to Moscow. If you carefully review the HOV you will see most winners only occupy a few of their neighbors and occasionally a country or two beyond them.

This is NOT a game of sweeping blitzkriegs. You should plan your campaigns for more limited objectives. In the British case a reasonable "first" objective is xDublin, xAntwerp, etc.... You do NOT need to plan for the long term capture of the Suez Canal. It WON'T be happening.

AK, Spitfires, and MOT are your first priority. That of course require sufficent CP to build the factories to produce them. Don't squander all your CP on the first turn building shipyards. Build HVY instead. Keep in mind that if you eventually want to build a shipyard a turn (120 CP) and eventually 10 fighters a turn (requiring 10 additonal airbases ...another 50CP per turn) you need 17 HVY just to accomplish that allowance each tech period PLUS the other factories, fortifications, etc... you wish to build. Use your CP wisely the first turn!

also keep an eye on your resources .. know when they will be depleted so you know when you have to get more and where..

and money I find that every game the most scarce resource... so be carefull especially with all those expensive ships.... guard them well .. and don't over do it with the big ships.... planes will sink them quick and the only danger is from the other islands...

talk to them ...

wait and see what happends on the mainland in Europe... where are all the toal alliances how is the politics.. can you join a group... can you swing the favour of the battle...

this game is a slow progress but devasting on the mind....