Rolling Thunder Forums

Species Engineering

Sakarissa

One of my empires will be acquiring enough SRPs from Species Engineering to do something about all those pesky negatives they took when they were created. One thing is hampering my decision making process. The modifiers for Size, Strength, and Dex/Agility are not posted to my knowledge. I have some negative attributes with known modifiers but am not sure what those three areas give and take away. If I had those, I would be able to make a better choice on how to spend these nifty racial points. Would RTG care to comment? Inquiring Mad Scientists (Genetic Engineers) wanna know!

Sakarissa :huh:

One of my empires will be acquiring enough SRPs from Species Engineering to do something about all those pesky negatives they took when they were created. One thing is hampering my decision making process. The modifiers for Size, Strength, and Dex/Agility are not posted to my knowledge. I have some negative attributes with known modifiers but am not sure what those three areas give and take away. If I had those, I would be able to make a better choice on how to spend these nifty racial points. Would RTG care to comment? Inquiring Mad Scientists (Genetic Engineers) wanna know!

Sakarissa  :angry2:

I would second that request. Considering the sparse number of available points for these things, doing so in an informed manner would be more satisfactory.

Sakrissa,

What do you mean by not posted? The costs for each are clearly stated in the Racial Design section of the Basic Rules (Chapter 11, Steps 16-18) which can be downloaded from the main RTG site.

Or are you asking for a textual breakdown of your race in addition to the bar chart? If you have forgotten what all you chose, Pete or Russ could probably e-mail those to you. They have for me in the past.

The cost to go from one racial trait level to another is merely the differential between the two (i.e. going from Average Size [0] to Large Size [120] costs you 120 of your freshly acquired Species Engineering points.)

Hope that helps,

-SK :blink:

I'm not asking for the actual costs for Size, Strength, and Dexterity. I have those. I'm asking for the +'s and -'s attached to each level of those abilities. Those haven't been published as far as I know.  Hope that clarifies.

Sakarissa  :blink:

My understanding is that those attributes are factored into ground combat depending on a variety of factors including which attack/defense formation you are using and possibly even other factors such as planet terrain. It is probably more complex than a simple +++++ Ground Combat hence the deviation from the format of the rest of the rule section.

All I'm after really on those modifiers (+'s & -'s) are the ones affecting the Colonization modifier. At least one of them affects it. The race in question started with 4 +'s after everything was factored in except for the three physical attributes. When I got my setup back, the race had a decent overall negative modifier to colonization. I'm a little tired of my colonists dying so I'm trying to buy off those pesky -'s. I have some known -'s and the unknown ones from the physical attributes. Just wanna get the most for my points and hopefully cross the threshold to a positive Colonization mod with this level of Species Engineering.

Sakarissa :blink:

All I'm after really on those modifiers (+'s & -'s) are the ones affecting the Colonization modifier. At least one of them affects it. The race in question started with 4 +'s after everything was factored in except for the three physical attributes. When I got my setup back, the race had a decent overall negative modifier to colonization. I'm a little tired of my colonists dying so I'm trying to buy off those pesky -'s. I have some known -'s and the unknown ones from the physical attributes. Just wanna get the most for my points and hopefully cross the threshold to a positive Colonization mod with this level of Species Engineering.

Sakarissa  :blink:

I would think, that constitution would have the major effect on this one.

Size and Strength should also add/substract something to the colonization bonus.

And as always, if the point cost is higher, it should do more.

Cestvel

Constitution has defined +s and -s. The three in question are size, dexterity, and strength.

Of course we all know that the ones that cost more do more, but more what? If you're specifically trying to overcome one disadvantage, you have to know which item is causing most of that disadvantage.

Also, just adding up +'s and -'s isn't sufficient, since not all -'s are equal.

Not only that, but -'s might be worse than positives all the time. For example, look at Sensory bonuses. Poor has lots of single negatives, average zip, and Excellent lots of single positives. Excellent costs 230 and Poor gives you 230 to spend. You would think in this case that the negatives balance out the positives. If spending 230 gave you a + that was +5% to SCB, then you would think getting 230 to spend would give you a - that is -5% to SCB. But, based on the way things get displayed, there is a feeling that those negatives are always worse than the positives. So using this example, the - might by -7%.

The reasoning (with no RTG confirmation) is the negatives are slightly higher (not to much) to balance against some race taking lots of negatives to build up certain other stats (or have lots for R&D).