Rolling Thunder Forums

Finding out the average exploration rate.

Aquilonia

How many systems did you explore so far?  

48 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, there is the question of age and number of empires ran, since some people are running multiple positions. Plus, what do you mean by explore? Entered the System and performed a System Scan [sS] order? Or do you mean performed a SS order of the System plus GEO'd, PMAP'd and CSV'd every planetary body found there in? The Q Republic does a lot of SS, SURV and WARP orders but not so many GEO, PMAP and CSV orders.

FWIW :o

-SK :blink:

By explore, I meant how many system surveyed.

Approximately 1080 stars for 23 people, new and ancient empires.

So we may estimate:

if there are 200 played empires; apprx. 10000 systems might be surveyed.

If the galaxy is not expanding, (ie.designers do not add new systems), we have a galaxy in size average 10000 stars.

My humble comments: the Empire creators like Alexander, or Invaders like Hitler, should spend lots of time to invade/conquer and run/destroy the thousands of colonies...

By explore, I meant  how many system surveyed.

Approximately  1080 stars for 23 people, new and ancient empires.

So we may estimate:

if there are 200 played empires; apprx. 10000 systems might be surveyed.

If the galaxy is not expanding, (ie.designers do not add new systems), we have a galaxy in size average 10000 stars.

My humble comments:  the Empire creators like Alexander, or Invaders like Hitler, should spend lots of time to invade/conquer and run/destroy the thousands of colonies...

:huh::(:blink::o:blink::D

My most explored position has encountered a couple of other empires. and has sweet talked a few neutrals to join us. I generally explore any planet that looks like it could be of value to me, but once you get out so far the value really goes down for most purposes.

Managing the empire is pretty straight forward as long as you have a good spreadsheet. I started off early and sent out colony ships to establish WP survey colonies where ever necessary. It also helps to have decent engine tech so you get faster ships.

I don't waste orders on stuff that isn't important and I live be the creed or the convoy route. I use lots of convoy routes. this tends to stretch my orders a bit.

If you want to explore lots of systems just build more explorers and send them out along with those legendary characters and some colonists. This should see you through most systems. :)

I also make it a point to survey 5 new WP's every turn.

:cheers:

Managing a lot of survey ships isn't so bad. It's pretty easy to get 10+ systems out from the HW exploring and refuelling and exploring some more.

The trick is mapping that many systems...the spaghetti gets pretty thick after 100 systems.

Hobknob, I'm curious if you map. I keep track of systems on spreadsheets and paper, but have also seen nice maps in Visio and Astrosynth. In all cases the 'craziness' of keeping track of things increases with the number of systems. Do you find any thing in particular to be helpful in managing the mapping of that many systems?

-LX

I map in excel using the flowcharting figures. The spaghetti does get pretty thick and every now and again I have to revamp my map to account for new discoveries. My latest "problem" is that the south of may map has run into the north of my map at a distance of about 14-16.

I also have the astrosynthesis program, but haven't had any success making it spit out something useful. I need a week or so to mess with it and I don't have it right now.

One of the greatest challenges is merging two or more maps when they are all started and conceived differently. :laugh:

Mapping is one of the "fun" things for me so I keep doing it. Every turn I spend an hour or two updating maps and tweaking the results so they "look" better.

:D

Yea, mapping is misery. The maps get more and more tangled as systems are added. If there's one thing that'll eventually burn me out on this game, it'll be the mapping chore. If we knew the 3rd dimension of each system, it would make mapping easier, but we've been down that path in the past.

Yea, mapping is misery.  The maps get more and more tangled as systems are added.  If there's one thing that'll eventually burn me out on this game, it'll be the mapping chore.  If we knew the 3rd dimension of each system, it would make mapping easier, but we've been down that path in the past.

Mapping is getting more and more difficult. I use Visio and will soon need to either make the fonts microscopic or spill over onto multiple pages. At 5 - 8 new systems a cycle, the pages are filling up. While I agree with Paradigm's concerns, I hope the mapping doesn't burn anyone out!

Octus