Rolling Thunder Forums

Dropped positions

Prospective

Geeze, I'm feeling chatty...

So, anyone ever find a dropped player position? I'm sure it's happened. Does anyone want to talk about it?

How long did it take you to comprehend that "the lights were on but nobody was home" (eg: no one was running that empire).

Do the ships move randomly or do they stay in the last location they were stationed at?

Did convoy routes continue to function?

Did mines continue to produce even though no one was playing the position?

Has anyone taken one over?

Does RTG "play" the role of defender? Are defenses left in the condition they were in when the player dropped the position? Are defenses automated?

What benefits were obtained by overcoming a dropped position? Did the world get "scorched", or were usable industries/mines left after the conquest?

Were there "stockpiled" items in the quantity to suggest that mines kept functioning after the player dropped?

I'm just curious as to what the future could hold, I kind of got a bit fired up by the junk I found on the advanced neutral I DIP'ed in.

Can you DIP a dropped position in, similar to a neutral?

Thanks.

Steve

Prospective, I believe that these position continue to run based on their last orders. They defend but I have not heard of them doing an anything that requires initiative. :)

We think that any spare capacity in their production goes towards making divisions......thus defences increase with time - which makes perfect sense.

Chief Warmaster to Ur-Lord Tedric

Prospective, I believe that these position continue to run based on their last orders. They defend but I have not heard of them doing an anything that requires initiative. :)

We think that any spare capacity in their production goes towards making divisions......thus defences increase with time - which makes perfect sense.

Chief Warmaster to Ur-Lord Tedric

That's a lot of grunts guarding that rock, in that case.

Chief Warmaster: speculation, or do you have some reasoning behind this?

That's a lot of grunts guarding that rock, in that case.

Chief Warmaster: speculation, or do you have some reasoning behind this?

When I accidently acquired the drop and gave it back in a call to the Oracle (and I don't believe I would have been able to use it properly anyway), the subject of the production queues and what the AI does with them, bearing in mind that we have to now conquer the HW (which was always in the planning), became part of the conversation. This also due to the fact that the production queue for the drop appeared on the report and it was completely intact - as were the 5M cargo bays :)

We also believe that dropped HWs have been acquired a bit too easily and that this has been looked at.

Thus, we understand, as time goes on the effort required to take a dropped HW will increase at the same time that an empire's ability to take it does, which is perfectly reasonable.

We're still therefore hoping to be able to conquer the dropped HW before writing the, now delayed until the Naval Combat Suuplement appears, next article in Flagship.

Mx

That's pretty interesting, DIP'ing in a dropped position, even if on accident. I wonder how many times that happened (I'd guess once was enough for a change to be implemented). But it makes sense that you have to conquer them instead of DIP'ing them in. Wouldn't that have been nice to get 5M cargo bays?

It does seem reasonable for increasing effort needed to acquire dropped HW's. Hopefully that difficulty increase takes into account the length of time the position has been dropped for (eg: if it was only inactive for 5 or 10 turns, the dropped shouldn't be able to build ships/divisions equivalent to 50 turns of actual production).

I've heard of Flagship but haven't actually looked for it. Is it a pay based ezine, or is it free (player run for the PBM community)??

Good luck on taking over that drop. I wonder how many others have succeeded in taking one over. Hopefully the rewards will outweigh the costs needed to take it. If you have to sterilize the surface to remove all the troops (in a Nuke/Fusionally inclined manner), no doubt you'll end up destroying many of the installations/stockpiles.

I've heard of Flagship but haven't actually looked for it.  Is it a pay based ezine, or is it free (player run for the PBM community)??

Flagship is one of the very original PBM magazines and still exists in good old paper form. There is, however, a website at www.flagshipmagazine.com

You will find the articles on SN:ROTE by Martin Burlingame and myself available there, I believe.

Mx

Flagship is one of the very original PBM magazines and still exists in good old paper form. There is, however, a website at www.flagshipmagazine.com

Is it still available in the US in paper form? I used to subscribe years ago.

I believe so, except there's no separate US edition as there used to be.

Mx