Rolling Thunder Forums

One way Warp Points

Hughestrog

If I understand correctly all WPs start and end at a WP in a system. The WP it ends at may or may not lead back to the system it came from.

Has anyone ever seen more than 1 WP lead into a single WP?

Has anyone every seen one that looped back into the same system?

[by one way I believe they mean that the warp point at the other end leads to a system other than the one you used to get there.

No. But I believe that could happen.

System A has one WP leading to System B. System B has one WP leading to System C. System C has two WP. One going back to B, and another to A.

The WP leading from C to A is 'closed' in system A. You wouldn't know about it unless you'd travelled it. Knowing it's there in System A, could you build and drag an orbital to it?

If you know the location of a 'closed' WP in your system, can you build and tow an orbital to it?

If not, why not?

Maybe I am misunderstanding your querstion but in my limited experience with one way warps, I found I do end up at another WP* so I would assume that you could tow an orbital to that WP.

* I find when I jump through a one way, you do end up at a WP, it just does not show a return to the prior system but rather it has a different system that you can jump to. Again I have limited experience so my observations are not based on a significant sample.

System A has one WP leading to System B. System B has one WP leading to System C. System C has two WP. One going back to B, and another to A.

I've seen the layout you suggest a bunch of times while mapping.

I don't see why you wouldn't be able to tug an orbital next to that warp point in A.....in fact...there is no guarantee that there isnt a SECOND path into that 'Closed' WP! In other words.....

A<----D

|

|

v

B -----> C -------> A <-----D

The warp path rules really keep you on your toes. :drunk:

I've seen the layout you suggest a bunch of times while mapping.

I don't see why you wouldn't be able to tug an orbital next to that warp point in A.....in fact...there is no guarantee that there isnt a SECOND path into that 'Closed' WP! In other words.....

A<----D

|

|

v

B -----> C -------> A <-----D

The warp path rules really keep you on your toes. :drunk:

Ok, we need to clarify this a wee bit.

We have System A with 2 warp points. Warp point 1 goes to System B, Warp Point 2 goes to System C. Now someone in System D finds a one way warp point back to A isn't the exit point in System A going to be Warp Point 1 or 2?

Ok, we need to clarify this a wee bit.

We have System A with 2 warp points. Warp point 1 goes to System B, Warp Point 2 goes to System C. Now someone in System D finds a one way warp point back to A isn't the exit point in System A going to be Warp Point 1 or 2?

D

|

|

v

A <--(1)--> B

^

|

(2)

|

v

C

Like so?

The warp point from D will either land at WP 1 OR 2 and it will be consistent every time. Id protect the warp point that you know a fleet from system D arrives. Nothing in the rules suggests you cant tow something there to blockade it :drunk:

If I understand correctly all WPs start and end at a WP in a system. The WP it ends at may or may not lead back to the system it came from.

Has anyone ever seen more than 1 WP lead into a single WP?

Has anyone every seen one that looped back into the same system?

Drasn - Everyone's replies have confused me :drunk: ! However, I can tell you that I've found three warp points (one each in three different systems) leading to a single warp point in a fourth system - which happens to be the only Warp Point in the fourth system.

Drasn - Everyone's replies have confused me :blink: !  However, I can tell you that I've found three warp points (one each in three different systems) leading to a single warp point in a fourth system - which happens to be the only Warp Point in the fourth system.

Very interesting! So at the very least 2 of those are one ways, and maybe even the 3rd depending on where the common destination WP leads to. Very cool.

If a loopback WP did exist it would be very irritating. Can you picture a home system with only a single WP that led back to itself! :wacko: Or 2 WPs in the same system that led to each other! :angry2: I bet checks are in place to avoid such a monstrosity.

I dont remember the exact thread (and I am too lazy at the moment to track it down) but you should consider all warp paths as one way. It's just in most cases that there is a corresponding pair that share the same WPs but move in different directions. In some cases there is no corresponding pair. I assume that the code is written to prevent the end points of the warp path from being the same.

Okay- I'll try to make this murkier than I originally did :angry2:

There's a system with only one WP, as given on the Imperial Astronomical Report. When you go through it, you end up in system B. You cannot return through that WP. There's another WP in this system. You go through it to System C. There's 10 WP. You can go through the WP you've just used to get back to System B. Going through one of these other WP leads you to system D. (You can go through this WP back to System C).

However, there's a second WP in System D, which leads to System A. You cannot use this WP to go straight back to System D.

My question was: because I know the location of the WP opening from D->A, can I build and tow an Orbital there to defend it?