Rolling Thunder Forums

Convoy Routes

Hughestrog

Couple of questions:

(i) If you stop a convoy route (delete it), what happens to the fleets assigned to it? Do they stop where they last executed an order?

(ii) If I issue 3 convoy route orders in one turn, and in the first I have a LC GLOBAL EXCLUDE, is this automatically carried through to the subsequent routes or not until the following turn? I think it should be subsequent, but just checking.

Many thanks in advance......

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Couple of questions:

(i) If you stop a convoy route (delete it), what happens to the fleets assigned to it?  Do they stop where they last executed an order?

(ii) If I issue 3 convoy route orders in one turn, and in the first I have a LC GLOBAL EXCLUDE, is this automatically carried through to the subsequent routes or not until the following turn?  I think it should be subsequent, but just checking.

Many thanks in advance......

Hmmm

As for your first question, its a most definite 'yes' if you REMOVE a fleet from a Convoy Route. Deleteing the Convoy order should have the same effect.

I might not understand your second question perfectly.....

I assume you are only setting up one Convoy Route that has three orders and are assigning a sheip with multiple Action Points (9) to that convoy route. The fleet will execute the Route (repeating it if necessary) until all APs are expended.

Or...are you suggesting that you are setting up 3 different Convoy Routes? If so you will need a separate LC order for each convoy route.

Man I hope that helps clear things up. Let me know if I misunderstood anything.

(ii) If I issue 3 convoy route orders in one turn, and in the first I have a LC GLOBAL EXCLUDE, is this automatically carried through to the subsequent routes or not until the following turn? I think it should be subsequent, but just checking.

I have five fleets assigned to the same convoy route. They all execute the orders in the same manner. If there is a GLOBAL EXCLUDE, they all execute it. I hope this answers your second question.

Is there a reason why we would want to put a GLOBAL EXCLUDE order inside a convoy route?

Hmmm, is this a way to create custom exclude lists per convoy???

I would think you would set your GLOBAL EXCLUDEs once and then customize your convoy LC / OC to handle the exceptions to those lists.

Confused. :angry2:

Is there a reason why we would want to put a GLOBAL EXCLUDE order inside a convoy route?

Hmmm, is this a way to create custom exclude lists per convoy???

I would think you would set your GLOBAL EXCLUDEs once and then customize your convoy LC / OC to handle the exceptions to those lists.

Confused.  :angry2:

If you've got survey ships doing XEXPL and XOC orders over a mining colony. You'd want the exploration finds picked up, but not the (improved) con mats, p. radioactives, etc picked up.

If you've got survey ships doing XEXPL and XOC orders over a mining colony.  You'd want the exploration finds picked up, but not the (improved) con mats, p. radioactives, etc picked up.

Right, but I'd think you would put improved conmats on your global exclude lists once, use an LC ALL in your convoy route, and use an 'LC improved conmats' order in your colony re-supply routes.

Of course I'm a noob, so a lot of the order subtleties still escape me. Is this a way of dynamiclly handling your GLOBAL EXCLUDE lists, and for what purpose? Does it save you a lot of convoy route editing or something like that?

Right, but I'd think you would put improved conmats on your global exclude lists once, use an LC ALL in your convoy route, and use an 'LC improved conmats' order in your colony re-supply routes.

Of course I'm a noob, so a lot of the order subtleties still escape me. Is this a way of dynamiclly handling your GLOBAL EXCLUDE lists, and for what purpose? Does it save you a lot of convoy route editing or something like that?

There are local EXCLUDEs that you can incorporate in your convoy routes so that only that convoy route has the EXCLUDE. A GLOBAL EXCLUDE would prevent you from picking up the item anywhere in your empire. Since you may want to move an item such as Improved Con Mats, you would not want to use a Global EXCLUDE. (Imperial Flags are an example of an item that you would want to have a GLOBAL EXCLUDE.)

Whay would you want to use local EXCLUDEs? You may want to pick up all the items except for one at a colony such as Processed radioactives or Con Mats.

And yes, you can list multiple items to be excluded locally.

Drasn, to be honest, I'm still playing around with the Global Exclude thing myself.

Using it though, would prevent you from picking up con mats (used for mines, power plants and cities), imp con mats (domed cities, etc), and processed radioactives (powering those power plants).

Once you issue the global exclude, apparently, all subsequent LC ALL would exclude the things you put in there, and you're right, you'd issue a specific LC to pick up things in the Global Exclude.

:angry2:

Global excludes ar elike light switches. They are either on or off and when you run the order again the state is changed to either on or off. If you have one in a convoy route it should change the state every time it runs so you will always be changeing your exclusion list when it runs.

So.... don't put your global exclude orders within your convoy routes unless you want an alternating exclusion list.

:angry2:

Local excludes make sense. Thanks Ali, I'd forgotten or maybe I never knew about them.

The original question seemed to imply putting GLOBAL EXCLUDES within a convoy route. I couldn't imagine why any one would do that, so I had to ask! You can some times find a powerful technique in an obscure use of a familiar command. I didn't want to miss a chance to learn!

Since I learned about local excludes I guess it worked!

:cheers:

• 7 months later...

OK, another question about Convoys:

If I have a RN order at a particular planet, and the fleet I want to transfer ships to isn't there, no ships will be transferred? (If my ship yards build a ship they assign the ships to a new fleet the program creates, so I'm worried the convoy route may do this also). I'm guessing not, and I'm also reckoning that it won't screw up the convoy order either.

I'm figuring to have a convoy route going through several systems, but having one system act as a 'junction' where if I have a fleet, a ship (or two) would get put into this fleet then I can do whatever with it, like send it onto another convoy route.

OK, another question about Convoys:

If I have a RN order at a particular planet, and  the fleet I want to transfer ships to isn't there, no ships will be transferred?  (If my ship yards build a ship they assign the ships to a new fleet the program creates, so I'm worried the convoy route may do this also).  I'm guessing not, and I'm also reckoning that it won't screw up the convoy order either.

I'm figuring to have a convoy route going through several systems, but having one system act as a 'junction' where if I have a fleet, a ship (or two) would get put into this fleet then I can do whatever with it, like send it onto another convoy route.

I don't know what would happen as I have not tried that but I would guess that the order would fail. Whether the fleet would terminiate executing orders is an open question.

This last turn I learned that if you create a convoy route at the very end of your turn and you don't put that second CNVR order in you will pick up all of the legal orders in your standing order section. The rules say that the creation of a convoy route ends when your turn ends. Apparently Standing Orders are included in this statement. Just a warning for anyone creating convoy routes. :beer: